1.    #1  
    A recent PreCentral article expressed Sprint's desire to decrease the number of devices that are returned due to customers' "uneducated frustration." So, their Ready Now* program is supposed to, among other things, train new users on how their phone works.

The intent is sound. I get why Sprint would do this. I really don't see how this could possibly be practical, though. Even with time constraints, impatient customers, and limited stock, I think one of their greatest obstacles is human beings' frequent desire not to be told what to do or how to do it - even in our own best interests.

Perhaps that sounds cynical or pessimistic, but it reflects my observations in life. Adults, in-particular, see being told what or how to do something don't see it as an opportunity, but a judgement.

It's as if, by telling them about something they don't know, you're telling them that they know nothing. Threatening our intellect is a sure way to turn us against each other.

But maybe you disagree. What do you folks think? Is this training thing practical or likely? If not, why? (Feel free to speak up, whether you agree or disagree with my assessment.)

With a phone as unique as the Pre is,** knowledge is going to be pretty important. And many of us have seen how little some users refer to their manuals or other instructions, right in front of them. That's why I thought this might make a worthwhile discussion.

* - I've seen this program mentioned in the forums, but never the training/educating portion. I hope this is not repetitious.
    ** - Navigation-wise, if nothing else
    Last edited by west3man; 06/02/2009 at 01:36 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I think if i'm waiting in line, i don't want to see people getting Pre seminars. It's already annoying enough we have to go to a store. Set em up, move em out.

But when its business as usual, then the program sounds fine.
    All I can say is "We can't Afford to Sell the Pre to the Wrong Customers"
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think if i'm waiting in line, i don't want to see people getting Pre seminars. It's already annoying enough we have to go to a store. Set em up, move em out.

But when its business as usual, then the program sounds fine.
    It's a fair point you make, but I hardly ever see down times at my local Sprint stores. Even pre-Pre, there are lines of people waiting to ask questions, get repairs, etc.

When most folks are at work, it's more manageable (but not great). When most folks are off work, they take the opportunity to que up.

I think I also read, though, that Palm will be providing some of their own employees during/some time around the launch. I still don't see how Sprint has the organization or even the physical space for this kind of thing, but maybe Palm's running things with Sprint kinda like how Apple ran things with AT&T - implementing things on their own, unprecedented terms.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    All I can say is "We can't Afford to Sell the Pre to the Wrong Customers"
    I recognize the quote (and was quite amazed that they cared so much about that) but I don't get what your point is. Could you expound a bit?
    I think for the average customer this is a good thing. For the majority of the people on ths website, we don't care. The fact is I can figure out 99% of what I need to know faster than a Sprint rep can show me. The rest I can find here.

But the idea of customer focused sales that includes training is a good idea.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Its practical any other time of the year but at launch it would be a little insane. The videos on youtube suggest you can schedule your "Ready Now" lesson at a later date if you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I recognize the quote (and was quite amazed that they cared so much about that) but I don't get what your point is. Could you expound a bit?
    They aren't trying to sell the Pre to "everyone". Hence the ReadyNow Process should be optimized for the group of users that they are targeting. These people do NOT want a lot of handling and hassle when they get in the store!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by roturn View Post
    I think for the average customer this is a good thing. For the majority of the people on ths website, we don't care. The fact is I can figure out 99% of what I need to know faster than a Sprint rep can show me. The rest I can find here.

But the idea of customer focused sales that includes training is a good idea.
    I have little doubt that plenty of people NEED to be shown how to use their devices. In fact, I'll bet most folks in this forum spend a good deal of time showing family members and friends how to use their mobile or home technology.

I just wonder how practical it is. But maybe your point is that so few people will need the training that it won't cause much of a burden on Sprint... or, as a result, on other customers who need Sprint reps to help them?
  10.    #10  
    They aren't trying to sell the Pre to "everyone". Hence the ReadyNow Process should be optimized for the group of users that they are targeting. These people do NOT want a lot of handling and hassle when they get in the store!
    I'm not sure how they could pull it off. Imagine the balancing act of trying to spend enough time that the session would be useful, but a small enough amount of time that the other customers won't be standing outside with torches and pitchforks!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Well a video I saw on youtube from sprint suggested they would only educate you on the things you were interested in. So they'd hand you a checklist and you check all the things you want to know. So that could save some time. Link Below
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Its practical any other time of the year but at launch it would be a little insane. The videos on youtube suggest you can schedule your "Ready Now" lesson at a later date if you like.
    Interesting.

However, as mikem's quote demonstrates, Palm doesn't want to sell this device to the wrong people (it feels weird just to type that).

Selling them the device first, then training them later doesn't support that goal.

I'll put it like this (with a slight bit of exagerration): This training initiative sounds like a preventative measure - like telling people how cigarette smoke can cause cancer before they pay for a pack.

Whereas telling people to buy now but come back later, for a training session, sounds like handing carcinogen literature to cancer patients.
    I'm not sure how they could pull it off. Imagine the balancing act of trying to spend enough time that the session would be useful, but a small enough amount of time that the other customers won't be standing outside with torches and pitchforks!
    It's easy. Sign em up, assign an acct and phone number to the device by scanning it's label, and give people the option of activating it at home or doing it in the store. That will move the line quicker than anything else.

Rule #1 - Don't force people who don't want to be trained to be trained. Is that really all that hard?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Really they're trying to cut down on returns. People come back and return the phones because they're unhappy, Sprint wants to make sure they're not returning the phones out of ignorance.
  15.    #15  
    It's easy. Sign em up, assign an acct and phone number to the device by scanning it's label, and give people the option of activating it at home or doing it in the store. That will move the line quicker than anything else.

Rule #1 - Don't force people who don't want to be trained to be trained. Is that really all that hard?
    I'd think folks who have trouble using the phone are likely to have trouble activating it.

Heck, even I would want my phone activated before leaving the store and losing my place in line.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Really they're trying to cut down on returns. People come back and return the phones because they're unhappy, Sprint wants to make sure they're not returning the phones out of ignorance.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear on this but:

I get why Sprint wants to do this. I'm cool with the intent.

I just wonder how practical this is.
    I have little doubt that plenty of people NEED to be shown how to use their devices. In fact, I'll bet most folks in this forum spend a good deal of time showing family members and friends how to use their mobile or home technology.

I just wonder how practical it is. But maybe your point is that so few people will need the training that it won't cause much of a burden on Sprint... or, as a result, on other customers who need Sprint reps to help them?
    From what I gathered, the first few days of release the stores will be regulating how many people come into the store at a time and how they are assigned to sales reps. It really depends on the demographics of the people buying the phone.

We are a minority on this website. Most will need help. I know I won't. But to the average Joe, the satisfaction of walking out of a store completly happy and able to use its full features is important to retaining customers and reducing the number of returns.
    I think it's a great idea, there's a lot of people in my office who need help using their smart phones to their full potential. This being a Palm product will be adopted by professionals wanting something more fun than their Blackberries and not everyone finds forums like this to learn about the latest apps.
    Good idea, very helpful for a lot of people.

All new sprint phones are activated in store. I think the optional stuff comes in setting up all its features.