1.    #1  
    Came across this article

Leading mobile phone manufacturers are losing their touch, according to review website

More than 19,000 buyers of phones were asked by Reevoo.com to score and assess 226 phones against a range of criteria, including style and function. Reevoo.com's analysis of feedback from customers shows that 5 out of ten phones in the bottom ten are touchscreen models

The top ten phones by customer score:

1. Nokia 5220 XpressMusic
    2. Nokia E71
    3. Sony Ericsson W595
    4. Nokia 2680
    5. Nokia 3110 Classic
    6. Samsung M150
    7. Apple iPhone 3G 16GB - touchscreen
    8. LG KC910 Renoir - touchscreen
    9. Nokia 6600 Slide
    10. Nokia 3600

The bottom ten phones by customer score:

1.. HTC Touch Diamond - touchscreen
    2.. Sony Ericsson T303
    3.. Samsung Armani - touchscreen
    4.. Sony Ericsson C702
    5.. Nokia 6124 Classic
    6.. BlackBerry Storm 9500 - touchscreen
    7.. Samsung i900 Omnia - touchscreen
    8.. Nokia N96
    9.. Samsung U600
    10.. Samsung F490 - touchscreen

MG Siegler on Tech Crunch article talks about within a few years all phones will be touchscreen.

HTC Killed The Physical Keyboard. Smart Move.

This is a UK perspective. Across the pond and in Europe the Iphone fever is not as great and Nokia is very strong.

Uk pricing is markedly different with most phones even the touchscreen phones available for free soon after the launch. For example Omnia HD is free on 32.50pcm contracts a week after launch.

The point that was lost by some immediately is that the Uk and European market is markedly different than the US market when it comes to mobile phone tastes.

Therfore the relevance to Palm Pre - (I suppose next time I will make it more clear for those that didnt get the thrust of the article) is that the keyboard in the UK & Europe will be seen as an added bonus. Ie the Pre could sell better in Europe than the US.
    Last edited by no1smartphone; 06/02/2009 at 03:22 PM.
    Interesting deductive reasoning in the thread title, and by interesting, I mean non-existent.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I love touchscreen devices. Moved from the Palm T/X to the iPod Touch recently because I found it much easier to use the virtual keyboard than Graffitti--I like entering information one-handed. Can't go back now. I was hoping that the Pre would work like the iPod Touch but the physical keyboard has turned me off for now. Looking forward to future WebOS devices and hoping that there'll be a touchscreen only one eventually.
    Since there are two touchscreen devices in the top 10, perhaps the issue isn't with touch screens, but rather with poorly designed phones.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The issue is that most people don't want to pay and extra $15-30 a month for a nice touch screen phone that needs a data plan to go with it.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Really? Because whenever a BB or dumbphone user tries out my 700p they still ooohh and aaahhhh at the touchscreen.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Your conclusion is scientifically incorrect. the fact that alot of touchscreen phones are low rated doesn't automatically mean that it's because they have a touchscreen.

it's like saying: the palm pre is awesome and it doesn't have a microsd-reader, so all phones that don't have a microsd-reader are awesome.

there isn't any proof of a relation between a phone having a touchscreen and that phone being liked by the majority.
    Its because not everyone knows how to make a good touchscreen phone yet & there's a lot of "me too" phones out there trying to copy the iPhone experience (sorry, its true) that are just crap.

Good materials with a good OS are CRUCIAL for touchscreens, especially those without a real keyboard. And a lot of OS's havent yet caught up to the touchscreen world. Namely the Blackberry OS & Nokia's Symbian OS. WinMo isnt that great either.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    "Touchscreens still not liked by the majority..." which is why Palm included a keyboard.

Duh!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Its because not everyone knows how to make a good touchscreen phone yet & there's a lot of "me too" phones out there trying to copy the iPhone experience (sorry, its true) that are just crap.

Good materials with a good OS are CRUCIAL for touchscreens, especially those without a real keyboard. And a lot of OS's havent yet caught up to the touchscreen world. Namely the Blackberry OS & Nokia's Symbian OS. WinMo isnt that great either.
    Windows Mobile is abysmal. It has a combination of resistive screen optimized for stylus and a bloated os. I am still mystified as to how my touch pro lags when I'm typing out a simple text message using my HARDWARE KEYBOARD!
  11.    #11  
    This is a UK perspective. Across the pond and in Europe the Iphone fever is not as great and Nokia is very strong.

Uk pricing is markedly different with most phones even the touchscreen phones available for free soon after the launch. For example Omnia HD is free on 32.50pcm contracts a week after launch.

The point that was lost by some immediately is that the Uk and European market is markedly different than the US market when it comes to mobile phone tastes.

Therfore the relevance to Palm Pre - (I suppose next time I will make it more clear for those that didnt get the thrust of the article) is that the keyboard in the UK & Europe will be seen as an added bonus. Ie the Pre could sell better in Europe than the US.
    People are pretty mean if they don't agree with a poster today, geez!

I agree with Meyerweb, it's not the touchscreen itself leading to the bad ratings, but the way it's implemented.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
    Windows Mobile is abysmal. It has a combination of resistive screen optimized for stylus and a bloated os. I am still mystified as to how my touch pro lags when I'm typing out a simple text message using my HARDWARE KEYBOARD!
    Don't judge every windows mobile device based on how your device behaves. For all we know you installed a bunch of crap on your phone and that's what causes it to act up.

My IPAQ HW 6955 is a well behaved phone and it runs windows mobile. It also does everything quickly and works as it should.
    I think it is because many touchscreen phones that the majority of people buy are not very good like the LG Vu IMO, but I am also seeing that a good number of those phones are not even US phones so that's not really a true indicator of much of anything. I think the main thing is that for most of the good touchscreen devices you must pay more money to get on of decent quality and most people go for the free or nearly free devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
    Don't judge every windows mobile device based on how your device behaves. For all we know you installed a bunch of crap on your phone and that's what causes it to act up.

My IPAQ HW 6955 is a well behaved phone and it runs windows mobile. It also does everything quickly and works as it should.
    That is not even close to fair to say all WinMo phones are the same. I would say that they are all very similar though since most of the forums you go on for WinMo phones start by telling you to remove the stock ROM. If WinMo is so great then why is so much tinkering necessary to get it working smoothly and quickly. Why can't it just work out of the box? Windows Mobile can be good if you're willing to play with it.
    Last edited by dsjr2006; 06/02/2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

A fair enough point. For the record, the only programs I have installed are is an alarm program and google maps. I am also running MightyROM 5, a highly regarded third party rom in the ppcgeeks community (CDMA focused). Even with the months spent by dedicated ROM chefs in tweaking windows phones, its phone's performance doesn't even come close to the iphone.

I am not some Windows Mobile newbie who hosed his phone by installing some random program found on google. I've been using Windows Mobile devices for almost 5 years. The touchscreen phones I've used are: the Sprint Diamond, Sprint Touch and Sprint Mogul. For non-touchscreen devices, I've used the Motorola Q, Audiovox SMT5600 and HTC Star Trek. Yes the Audiovox SMT5600 for AT&T blew my mind when it came out in 2004. But it's pathetic that I am still dealing with the same performance and responsiveness issues 5 years later.

Bottomline is that something simple as typing out a text message lags on my phone. How can a dumb feature phone like the LG Env have smooth text messaging, while a $300 smartphone with a 528mhz processor and 288 megs of RAM lag? Don't even get me started on Opera Mobile 9.5 vs. Safari.

Windows Mobile is a piece of crap. There's no use defending it.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post

I'm from europe but I still don't agree with you.

That device you mentioned isnt a touchscreen, is it?? That was the point & why OS's like iPhone, webOS & Android are better for these types of devices. They were built for touch from the ground up, instead of having to be "retrofitted" with touch like the Blackberry OS, WinMo, Symbian, etc.

Im sure those OS's will get it together over time, but right now they stink (for touch).
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    touchvsdfreen keytboardsa ftw! harwdwrre keyboardsa suckj!

sent from my iphone