Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Work arounds stink.
    I'll take any of these over having to jailbreak a device to use it fully.
    Geez people, let's be realistic here. The Pre isn't going to be God's gift to the world. It won't meet everyone's needs perfectly. If someone points out reasons it's not perfect for them, especially things that can be (and should have been) fixed, there's no need to attack them. Some of us are as bad as the Apple fan boys. Lighten up.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'll take any of these over having to jailbreak a device to use it fully.
    ok. What does this have to do with the Palm Pre's inability to cut text from a website?

iPhone obsession!!!!
    ok. What does this have to do with the Palm Pre's inability to cut text from a website?

iPhone obsession!!!!
    Jailbreaking is the ultimate and most burdensome workaround. It's absolutely germane to the discussion. You can do better at building a strawman than that, yeah?
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    hey, just wondering, what do you normally use the file browser for. I have FileZ on my Centro and rarely use it. Thanks.
    Well, on Windows Mobile, I have a memory card with a lot of .cab files (install files for various programs) saved so I can reinstall them when I flash a new ROM to my phone. Also, I save the .pls and .m3u files (playlist files) for a bunch of streaming radio stations so I can load them up in my media player software.

There are other uses as well like copying files from the PC to the mobile device and vice versa or editing the registry.

I just look at my mobile like my computer and I know I will feel somewhat hobbled if I can't even see the files/directory structure of the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    So, um... Why are you bothering to post...?

If you don't want the phone then don't get it. My mother's not getting the phone either because she can barely use her simple cell phone. Should she post as well?
    People here talk about the phone they have or the phone they want or the phone they had. And they talk about why.

They talk about the phone they don't want or the phone they didn't want but want now or the phone that they want but will wait for. And they talk about why.

All of that seems relevant, to me.

In this case, the poster was talking about the Pre. This is a Pre forum, so that sounds reasonable.

He wants it but doesn't want to do without certain features, so he's going to wait. Instead of just saying, "I'm waiting," he told us why. That seems reasonable and relevant to me, too.

In my case, I either didn't know or forgot about the copying and pasting limitation for websites. It's going to make me rethink my plans, now, so he positively contributed to the community.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by west3man; 06/02/2009 at 02:09 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Jailbreaking is the ultimate and most burdensome workaround. It's absolutely germane to the discussion. You can do better at building a strawman than that, yeah?
    again, I am confused what the iPhone has to do with the Pre's lack of ability to cut text from a website.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I bet they add copy&paste to the browser pretty quickly. The other missing browser features will be added too I'm sure like setting images as wallpaper, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    I bet they add copy&paste to the browser pretty quickly. The other missing browser features will be added too I'm sure like setting images as wallpaper, etc.

Another thing to add to the massive first update that everybody assumes is coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Well, on Windows Mobile, I have a memory card with a lot of .cab files (install files for various programs) saved so I can reinstall them when I flash a new ROM to my phone. Also, I save the .pls and .m3u files (playlist files) for a bunch of streaming radio stations so I can load them up in my media player software.

There are other uses as well like copying files from the PC to the mobile device and vice versa or editing the registry.

I just look at my mobile like my computer and I know I will feel somewhat hobbled if I can't even see the files/directory structure of the OS.
    I will be happy if I can just have a way of browsing ALL files on the device, click on it, and have it launch the proper application. I don't want to only be able to browse certain files from certain apps, that's lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    So, um... Why are you bothering to post...?

If you don't want the phone then don't get it. My mother's not getting the phone either because she can barely use her simple cell phone. Should she post as well?
    So only people who absolutely love the Pre should be allowed to post?

He has a right to his opinion as well as you!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    I don't know if they'll be added the copy/paste in web option soon or at all, but I (very reluctantly) recognize that it's not often that I copy and paste from the site, itself. Generally, it's from within a field... like the one I'm typing in, right now.

I'm not happy about this, but it may be something I can live with in-exchange for the features that WILL be improved.

It's a little scary seeing these things I'll have to GIVE UP to "upgrade" but that fear withers on the days that my 755p's Bluetooth or browsing or multitasking limitations work my last nerves.
    my blackberry has been annoying me lately...freezing...trackball sticking...im ready for a change!
    It's no big deal if he wants to wait let him wait. One more Pre for someone else to grab that wants one. I'll be getting one as soon as I can get my hands on one. It's got to be better than my 700wx which I've had for what seems like eternity!

The Pre will not be perfect, but lets hope they listen to consumer demand and add the popular features people are asking for; now THAT would be revolutionary.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    1. Crippled copy and past. (No web, or non editable text)

2. No bluetooth dialup networking profile.

3. Weak battery life. (Rumored but probably true)

4. Poor synergy control. (Contacts)

5. Over the network media download disabled.

None of these are deal breakers, but my Curve handles all of these features nicely with the exception of Facebook contacts (thanks anyway).
    I'll be getting the Pre without a doubt, but I'm going to give it a couple of months as I expect most of these issues to be corrected and we will probably see a small price drop fairly shortly considering Sprint is exclusive only through the end of 09.

I think it may be a good idea to wait for initial reviews too. I've seen some phones burn early adopters.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Early adopters ALWAYS have to live with some issues. Either finding missing features or learning something doesn't work as advertised. Life on the bleeding edge is painful!
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    my blackberry has been annoying me lately...freezing...trackball sticking...im ready for a change!
    The trackball on my 8900 sticks all the time. So frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Early adopters ALWAYS have to live with some issues. Either finding missing features or learning something doesn't work as advertised. Life on the bleeding edge is painful!
    This post cracked me up, for some reason.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said; I think that last line tickled my funnybone.

I guess it takes a certain amount of guts to be an early adopter. Not just a month later, like I'll probably do, but right there on the front lines.
    again, I am confused what the iPhone has to do with the Pre's lack of ability to cut text from a website.
    Are you also confused by the constant mentions of iPhone in this forum in virtually every sort of compare/contrast to the Pre imaginable?

Anyway...I don't blame the OP for waiting. I've been going back and forth about it myself, but I think I'll take the plunge on Saturday morning. But there are plenty of reasons to wait and plenty of flaws to be found on the Pre without having personally operated one.
    If those features are important to you, then I guess it's the correct choice.

However, there have been reports of the battery being great and poor. It's not fair to declare that either way yet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast