1.    #1  
    Every month, a company called BrightHand publish mindshare statistics for the smartphone industry in the US. Basically, it's a list of what devices people are interested in, what they're talking about. Results are, on the surface, discouraging:

1. Nokia E63 (4)
    2. Nokia E71 (5)
    3. BlackBerry Curve 8330 (3)
    4. HTC Touch Pro 2 (1)
    5. Samsung Impression (2)
    6. Nokia N97 (new)
    7. LG Incite (10)
    8. RIM BlackBerry Storm 9530 (6)
    9. Palm Pre (new)
    10. BlackBerry Bold (returning)

After all, the Pre is 9th, with devices like the Touch Pro 2 in front of it. However, with a little analysis, we can see two things:

1) All the other devices on the list have been out for ages already, and thus people have been able to go and see them in stores, OR they have been advertised by the carriers. When Sprint and Palm finally get their act together, you can bet there'll be some ads -> more mindshare.

2) Do you see the iPhone on that list? Do you? Anywhere? Even with WWDC around the corner...
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    2) Do you honestly believe that iPhone is not in the top 10 most discussed phones in the US? The fact that it isnt on the list casts serious doubt on its accuracy and completeness.

EDIT: as do some other entries. Nokia has always been markedly unsuccessful in the US market with its N and E series devices. While I can believe that the E71x would be on the list as AT&T recently released it I find it hard to believe that models not sold in the US account for 3/10 of the list. I highly doubt this list is indicative of the 'mindshare' any current phone has in the brain of the average US consumer.
  3.    #3  
    Hey I was just linking to a list - but it's my belief that these stats are supposed to have some reliability.

What it is is the amount of times people have checked out a product page on the BrightHand website over the last month.

Now, it's not that surprising in some senses that people are stopping to click on the iPhone 3G page because its replacement won't be the same name...

I agree, the iPhone 3G will have been one of the most discussed phones of the last 12 months, but not necessarily in May 2009.
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    people still use nokia phones? haha
    Quote Originally Posted by northy014 View Post
    Hey I was just linking to a list - but it's my belief that these stats are supposed to have some reliability.

What it is is the amount of times people have checked out a product page on the BrightHand website over the last month.

Now, it's not that surprising in some senses that people are stopping to click on the iPhone 3G page because its replacement won't be the same name...

I agree, the iPhone 3G will have been one of the most discussed phones of the last 12 months, but not necessarily in May 2009.
    So, the number of people that chose to click links on a (relatively) obscure phone geek web page is supposed to be indicative of general consumer interest?

Brighthand is nuts to think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    people still use nokia phones? haha
    A 38% worldwide cellphone market share says yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    A 38% worldwide cellphone market share says yes.
    How many of those cost more then $50?
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    How many of those cost more then $50?
    If smartphone = cost more than $50 then the worldwide market share for Nokia climbs to more than 40%