Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I realize that people get somewhat defensive when speaking about their preferred device, but the reality is that multi-tasking is already available with WinMo devices. However, the iPhone has been rated highest in customer satisfaction with business users. To me, that speaks to the fact that, while other devices can certainly do more, the majority of customers are satisfied that it does well the things that these customers value.

I hope the Pre does well, but I really don't see that multi-tasking will be the thing that gets hordes into the stores.
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/02/2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    It hasn't been done this well. Apple reinvented browsing on the phone which had been done for years. Palm includes this and reinvents multitasking.

It remains to be seen if it catches on.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    People use phones differently than desktop computers and have different expectations for them. Other than listening to iTunes (which is possible on the iPhone) while doing something else, I doubt most iPhone users (or smartphone users in general) really do more than 1 thing at a time. (not counting the geeks and power-users, which represent a small percentage of the user-base)

While multi-tasking is nice, and *might* be noticed and appreciated by some small percentage of the fat middle, my guess it's not going to be anything that most people care that much about.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Just because people aren't accustomed or expecting multi-tasking, doesn't mean it won't become an important feature.

Before the iphone came out, the average user was resigned to the fact that you can't view normal non-wap websites on your phone.

Isn't this what innovation is all about? Palm Pre is simply raising the bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    That's not an opinion, it's a claim. Not unless he made a survey of the fat-middle's preferences.
    He said "I think." Sounds like an opinion to me.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6.    #26  
    i can't emphasis enough of "TRUE" or as i call it: "desktop level" multitasking.

if you can't easily switch. or even be aware of what apps are running. its just background multitasking.

i think the difference is substantial and very important.
    The article is pretty good and demonstrates an understanding of the market. Point #4 best points out why WebOS should do well in the end. As long as iPhone limits carrier, all of the other carriers (globally) will be promoting webOS devices since it's really the only real competitor.

Palm has got to get the SDK out while the momentum is hot though or it could cool off with not enough apps in time.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    multi-tasking is already available with WinMo devices.
    WinMo devices (or any other Pre competitor) do not have any kind of windowing. webOS has a kind of windowing system where the user can see that several apps are indeed running simultaneously.

Maybe users do not care about multitasking that much, but I believe that they will very much like the user experience that multitasking + windowing gives them.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I think the very definition of a smartphone means that it should multitask, but hey, since this incendiary statement would incite a war, perhaps we can just classify by dumbphones, smartphones...aaaaand smarterphones. I mean, EVERY cellphone can make calls today AND do other stuff. The better they do this other stuff can be measure quantitavely. (To eliminate useless discussion on every tiny feature, I group them under the terms "crap" and "doodads".):

Take this test:
    - Can you make calls with it? (yes: 1000 pts, no: 0 pts)
    - Can you do other non-internet doodads with it? (yes: 100 pts, no: 0)
    - Can you do internet-related crap with it? (yes: 10 pts, no: 0)
    - Can you do all of the above at the same time, walk and chew gum (yes: 1, no: 0)

Now add them all up.
    1111: Smarterphone
    1110: Boring ol' Smartphone (rank smartiness by order of non-subsidized price, yer all in the same category anyway)
    1100: Dumbphone
    1-100: That's a computer, you moron. VOIP doesn't count, and aren't we supposed to rate phones anyway?
    Feel free to disagree with me and offer some references for why cause what I'm about to say is simply my amateur analysis: I don't think the iPhone was ever intended to be a smartphone, it fell into that market. It was originally designed to replace your iPod and phone. It was to be a multimedia phone with a good web browser. After much complaining, Apple listened to their customers and released and SDK and added exchange support, but that didn't come until verson 2. Apple set out to make an iPod with a phone attached, and customers demanded a smartphone.

Multitasking is something expected of smartphones, but the iPhone is still evolving into that category. And for people who like the iPhone, there's nothing wrong with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    You're making a general statement. What's your proof?
    He doesn't need proof. He introduced his statement with the phrase, "I think that...". He's clearly admitting that it's his own opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    WinMo devices (or any other Pre competitor) do not have any kind of windowing. webOS has a kind of windowing system where the user can see that several apps are indeed running simultaneously.

Maybe users do not care about multitasking that much, but I believe that they will very much like the user experience that multitasking + windowing gives them.
    Actually WinMo does mutli-task and has an open app list that is one touch to go to an app or close it. it sux in speed and reliablity, but the basic multi-tasking is there.

Mogul: WM 6.1
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Actually WinMo does mutli-task and has an open app list that is one touch to go to an app or close it. it sux in speed and reliablity, but the basic multi-tasking is there.
    Multi-tasking is there, but not any kind of windowing. Pre has a kind of windowing where you can see several LIVE apps running simultaneously.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    People, are you hyping pre for your friends? dont forget to emphasize the desktop level multitasking!
    I am NOT hyping the pre for any of my friends until I can have one for myself. I am telling them NOT to line up to get one until I can fully test it for them
    I believe the Pre's multi-tasking will be a game changer - even for the "fat middle". I can see side by side comparisons by friends - not on purpose but by accident. One friend has an iPhone, the other a Pre.

The guy wth the Pre has music, text, email and web all going, switching back and forth easily while the iPhone guy closes, opens, closes, opens, etc.

Merely the differences in useability will drive others to include true multi-tasking.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Try sending an image link to someone on an iphone who you are chatting to through an AIM application. They click it and then sign off, because the app stops so safari can open, they check out the image, then they have to sign back into the aim app.

Now, on a phone this is honestly not that huge of a deal, especially for us. You find the program again, sign back in, and go back to the conversation. This can even become routine, and you can become inured to it, barely recognizing the time or necessary effort it takes.

What if you didn't have to make this very small compromise? I don't have an iphone but several of my friends do and have similar (what I call) 'nonissues' with it. These issues are no big deal but they change the way people would normally use a device, the same way many of us made concessions for the ways our 650s, 700ps, 700wxs, bb curves and storms behaved.

Sticking with the Iphone AIM example to keep things simple, now many of my friends want to know what link I am sending them before they will click it, because the time and hassle has begun to build up. In a perfect environment, it would always be 'easier' to merely click a link, observe the contents of the url, then dismiss it, than it would be to ask for information about the link in order to determine whether it's contents are worth the hassles brought on by the OS and the way the OS handles programs.

Multitasking as it pertains to a smartphone is slightly different than multitasking as it pertains to a PC. Both clearly have the connotation of an OS that can do more things than once, but on a phone it is more than that. It's power through shear accessibility. It's being able to move from one item you are working on to another seamlessly, not just the fact that they multiple programs can run simultaneously.

On my treo 700w, I tried many AIM clients and they all worked. Some even worked 'well.' I had no issue clicking a link and being taken to the appropriate page in Opera and then getting back to the conversation, but I was definitely settling for a more limited user experience. Pop-up notifications on all of the programs I used were consistently buggy either due to windows mobile or the chat programs themselves. The more functionality programs attempted to offer, the more unwieldy they became; each was sort of shelled into this box and more options merely meant more tools were stuffed in these boxes. On a desktop, chats were both simple, efficient, and unobtrusive: on the phone they quickly became a chore.

That's where the 'Big Deal' part comes into play.

'Real Multitasking' is similar to the IPhone's 'Real Web'. A lot of folks were up in arms over the ads which seemed to imply that the web was somehow different on an iphone than that of which we could access on our treos and curves and n95s. Well, obviously that was untrue-we can all check facebook, our email through web interface, cnn.com, and our favorite blogs on all of those smartphones. What many missed, however, was the implication of the language.

Real Web as it pertained to smartphones was more accurately defined as intuitive web without compromises. A web experience that became more powerful because it was so accessible. So similar to a desktop.

This is the same promise 'Real Multitasking' offers. It goes beyond the ability to merely run multiple programs at once without losing information. It refers to a confluence of that very information through simple access which endows the end user with more power. Programs that are built with their neighbor program in mind for easy transfer and use of information is a godsend. Being able to run programs on cards that you can quickly observe and manage them is a huge plus. Suddenly, you have the ability to interact with multiple programs simultaneously on a level concurrent with desktop devices.

The talk of every-day buyers not being able to recognize the this power is sort of silly. When reviews get out and word gets out on the ability of this smartphone to preform both deftly and well, it's competitors, who will all have 'web capabilities' and 'ability to run multiple programs simultaneously' will all appear that much more cumbersome in comparison.

And that's how you win the game.
    Last edited by Stihl; 06/02/2009 at 12:37 PM.
    From the ZD Net article:

5. Palm knows how to build an ecosystem

Gotta disagree with this one. Palm has to prove themselves again. Previously they seemed to take the same route Motorola did with the RAZR line - stay with a design too long without innovating. The Palm OS, a.k.a. Garnett, was patched but never really updated. Going the dual-OS direction by adding WinMo Treos was a stop-gap solution to get to WebOS and proved to be a smart move that went beyond the original concept of simply buying time. But the Treo line was hardly innovated. Centro? Just a re-packaging of the same old stuff in a smaller form factor. And with a horrible keypad.

I believe the new Palm can do this. There is almost nobody left from the old days at Palm, and I think that's a good thing. Having Rubenstein there is a MAJOR plus! Lets hope the new culture gets it and keeps the platform moving forward.

The other points I agree with:

1. It is the first true multi-tasking smartphone
    2. Touchscreen + Qwerty
    3. The webOS will be a strong development platform
    4. The carriers want an iPhone competitor
    I don't think the ecosystem has anything to do with innovation. It has to do with surrounding the phone with accessories and software, so you're buying into a system, not just buying a phone.

And Palm used to know how to do that. Whether they still do remains to be seen.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    Multitasking as it pertains to a smartphone is slightly different than multitasking as it pertains to a PC. Both clearly have the connotation of an OS that can do more things than once, but on a phone it is more than that. It's power through shear accessibility. It's being able to move from one item you are working on to another seamlessly, not just the fact that they multiple programs can run simultaneously.
    I think you hit it exactly here. It is not the power of running programs simultaneously. It is being able to switch programs without losing state, without having to startup all over again, to be able to switch what you are doing as fast as your mind can switch. I don't think people realize how easy multitasking makes things until they actually do it. Then a lightbulb will go on and there will be no looking back.

It will be interesting to see how many of the upcoming Pre reviews "get it" with regard to multitasking.
    Last edited by kwarner; 06/02/2009 at 02:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The Blackberry multitasks well, yet nobody ever says "I want a blackberry for the multitasking".

I'm looking forward to it, but I bet most people wont even know what multitasking means.
    Nothing multitasks like the Pre. POS did multitasking the best up untill webOS. It was just as good if not better than BBOS.
    Last edited by Eguy; 06/02/2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast