Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I mean does the average non-cellphone forum reading neophyte even know this phone is about to come out? Or are we the only ones? There has been exactly zero maintsreem press regarding the launch. I'm just wondering, if we are the only ones generating all this all this hype how are there going to be lines around the block at my nearest store on Saturday morning. Don't get me wrong I'm stoked...but shouldn't Palm be doing a LOT more to get the rest of the world excited too?
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Yes and I've said that many times. But people here seem to think it's OK to keep the phone under wraps and not advertise. I'm wondering how they expect to sell this phone, except to techies in the know.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think they are shooting for more of a soft launch for whatever reason.

Could be production issues

Could be software issues (we've had a couple of reports about a possibly memory leaks and the OS is sort of bare bones right now)

My guess is both of those play a big part in why we are seeing a more hush hush launch. The techie crew will be a little more forgiving at first giving palm time to clean up the OS and get a few more features in before they push a big release in a few weeks.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    mixed feelings are what i get when thinking about the current release situation. im ecstatic that because of the limited adverts it wont be too much of a hassle to get one (hopefully), but at the same time it might be too little to late for palm and i really dont want to buy into a phone that has no future support. my theory is that this IS in fact a "soft" launch and that once people start seeing the phone in the wild they will have a "grand relaunching" in order to make the big buck$.
    I learned of the Pre back in January while watching the FOX Business Network. I searched for the phone and I eventually found Treo Central, where I found out about Pre Central forum.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    I mean does the average non-cellphone forum reading neophyte even know this phone is about to come out? Or are we the only ones? There has been exactly zero maintsreem press regarding the launch. I'm just wondering, if we are the only ones generating all this all this hype how are there going to be lines around the block at my nearest store on Saturday morning. Don't get me wrong I'm stoked...but shouldn't Palm be doing a LOT more to get the rest of the world excited too?
    I'll tell you what... I spent quite a bit of time at the Sprint Store trying to get my Treo 800w serviced today and just about everyone that walked in to that store was inquiring about the Pre....

I don't know how Sprint and Palm have done it but there is SERIOUS buzz about this phone.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    They are holding back because they dont have enough and maybe want to monitor the rollout closely. I got to believe that they will start to advertise it soon once they get enough inventory.

It is a strange trip following this story, I hope it ends well!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Almost everyone I talk to has no idea its coming, even people who use/fallow smart phones.
  9.    #9  
    Up intil about a week ago Sprint store employees had no clue what I was talking about. The memo seems to have gone out though because they sure know about it know...nothing useful though. Just the blah we open at 8 on the 6th. No lists Blah. No early sales on Friday Blah.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    And yet many are getting wind of it.

We here at PreCentral have just exploded in new Registers.

How did these new ones hear about the Pre to end up at PreCentral?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Reaper View Post
    Almost everyone I talk to has no idea its coming, even people who use/fallow smart phones.
    Really? What sources do they base their 'following' of smartphones on? I don't know of any tech websites/magazines that haven't talked about the Palm Pre. It's even featured in this months tech section of my Maxim magazine.

Like I said, I was just watching FBN during the time of CES...this is when I saw the Palm Pre for the very first time: Palm Unveils Palm Pre - FOXBusiness.com (watching this video now makes it feel like it was an eternity ago when my Pre interest first sparked!)
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    I don't know how people know about it, but went to a Sprint kiosk in a mall and he told me he has over 80 people on a list. So I guess there is lots of buzz out there somehow
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    For now how I wish that we are the only ones that are excited. I don't want to get stuck in a long line waiting to get mine.
    Ya I don't get it either I went to my sprint store on friday and it seems like everyone there was just discussing the pre.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I can guarantee you one thing though. If the first few days of the Pre launch are super successful, you will hear more announcements from Verizion and AT&T saying they are getting the Pre sometime "in a few months." I'm sure it sickens them to think the 3rd place carrier of Sprint could steal away some of their customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    For now how I wish that we are the only ones that are excited. I don't want to get stuck in a long line waiting to get mine.
    So you place your own personal gratification over the recovery of the Palm corporation? I hope, for Palm's sake, you're in a very small minority. Try taking the long view.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    So you place your own personal gratification over the recovery of the Palm corporation? I hope, for Palm's sake, you're in a very small minority. Try taking the long view.
    Yeah you got a point. Plus look at it this way, if the phone is wicked popular at launch; you could get one and sell it on ebay for profit plus the price of another.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I think you misjudged my point. Try reading it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yes and I've said that many times. But people here seem to think it's OK to keep the phone under wraps and not advertise. I'm wondering how they expect to sell this phone, except to techies in the know.
    Miracle of miracles...it's going to sell with little to no real advertising. I've been calling Sprint stores and a Best Buy or two...interest here in Georgia is OFF THE CHARTS.
    In what way? No one here seems to want to be standing online at the Sprint store on Saturday.

I may go by the one near me and check to see how long the line really is on Saturday.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast