Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As a longtime Palm user (going back to a Handspring Visor) and a current Treo user, part of me liked having a smartphone that flew under the radar. I was able to impress those who had ordinary cell phones as well as iPhone users who had no idea that the Treo could do so much.

So while that feeling of "exclusivity" may be gone with a Pre, I still hope it does well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    ...but shouldn't Palm be doing a LOT more to get the rest of the world excited too?
    I agree. The reason I know about the Pre is because I'm a huge Palm fan and liked every one of their phones and handhelds( I still have a Treo 600 that I sometimes use to play Warfare Incorporated on but with a huge orange "dot" on the screen). When they got the "Nova" rumor started in 2007, I was excited. The rest, the non-Palm fans and average person, don't know about the Pre. In my high school, the only people that know about the Pre are the ones that I explained the Pre to. (Thats actually a good thing for ME, higher chance of getting one )
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    As a longtime Palm user (going back to a Handspring Visor) and a current Treo user, part of me liked having a smartphone that flew under the radar. I was able to impress those who had ordinary cell phones as well as iPhone users who had no idea that the Treo could do so much.

So while that feeling of "exclusivity" may be gone with a Pre, I still hope it does well.
    I feel you.

I felt special with my Treo's. At first, it was super rare to find someone else with one. Then it was just rare enough to still feel special, but to feel like I was part of a special community.

If this does REALLY WELL to the point that everybody has one (not gonna happen, but still) it will feel odd, but in the end, it will be good for us all. One thing I always wanted (and got a taste of when I finally converted my girlfriend to the "church of Palm") was to be able to send apps and contacts and calendar items to folks.

With more people having a Pre, I'll have more opportunities to do just that. Instead of, say, TELLING my mom that I want to meet somewhere at a certain time, maybe I could send a calendar item to her and other prospectives attendees with Pre's and KNOW that she'll get a reminder, when the time comes.

As it is now, I have to hope she'll remember to (and how to) put it in her Blackberry Pearl. Of course, getting her to keep the thing charged is a whole other story, but I still love her.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I can guarantee you one thing though. If the first few days of the Pre launch are super successful, you will hear more announcements from Verizion and AT&T saying they are getting the Pre sometime "in a few months." I'm sure it sickens them to think the 3rd place carrier of Sprint could steal away some of their customers.
    Like me? lol I don't want to wait 6 months to get this phone. The storm I'm using now is a great phone for sure, but its no where Pre/Iphone compete good.
    Simple word of mouth marketing has sure caused quite a stir among us. They didnt really do much marketing prior to the release of the Instinct last year either. After it was released they advertised the heck out of it though.
    This launch will not be as big as many of you seem to think simply because:

Palm != Apple

There is no way the Pre, no matter how good, will garner the kind of attention and hype the iPhone does. Remember before the iPhone came out Apple was already the definer of all that is cool, stylish and hip. Some time ago having a Palm was trendy but those days are long gone and because of this the Pre launch won't matter any more than the Instinct launch did. Now, because the Pre is a very good phone (but not revolutionary the way the iPhone was) Palm may be able to become relevant again in the future. But they are not relevant now so this launch is going to be a disappointment for some of you.

Think you're really going to see huge lines of people waiting for 6 hours to get a Pre like you do for the iPhone? Nope, not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Palm != Apple
    For you non software engineers this means "Palm does not equal Apple" .
    Don't count out Palm's brand image. They made millions of people happy with the Palm Pilot.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Don't count out Palm's brand image. They made millions of people happy with the Palm Pilot.
    How many years ago was that? GM made millions of people happy with the Chevette too!
  10.    #30  
    I think once the thing gets out in to the public and some high profile reviews start flowing it's going to go viral. Of course the device has to be everything it's reported to be and then some....... 'More shall be revealed'
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12