Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    We've heard that there is a ROM update (from 1.0.1)

Has anyone updated the ROM?

What version did the update install?

What changes did you notice?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    What? It won't be ROM updates anymore it is OS updates. But it looks like we will probably have 1.0.1 when we get ours. Maybe even 1.0.2...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Nobody has heard there was a ROM update. You're the one that's been spreading that BS more than anyone. There haven't been any rumors about this based in fact, only people guessing.

The version everyone has been playing with is 1.0.1, and if there's a 1.0.2, then only Palm knows that. Sure, it's possible because the help programs aren't showing info yet, but for all we know they point to a web page and everything IS already complete for now without an update like www.sprint.com/palmpresupport which is listed in the manual and not up yet.

And even if there IS a ROM update, why would Palm deploy it yet even though the phone isn't out. They're presumably wait until the day of launch in case they have any other small fixes to make before then.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/02/2009 at 12:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Nobody has heard there was a ROM update. You're the one that's been spreading that BS more than anyone. There haven't been any rumors about this based in fact, only people guessing.

The version everyone has been playing with is 1.0.1, and if there's a 1.0.2, then only Palm knows that. Sure, it's possible because the help programs aren't showing info yet, but for all we know they point to a web page and everything IS already complete for now without an update like Support - Error which is listed in the manual and not up yet.

And even if there IS a ROM update, why would Palm deploy it yet even though the phone isn't out. They're presumably wait until the day of launch in case they have any other small fixes to make before then.
    I guess you missed the story about UPS standing buy to flash the Pre with new ROMs. The story said that Palm decided not to use UPS for that. If that story is true, then we have a ROM update in the wings.

Word was that the App Store and ROMs would be updated about a week before launch. If that's true, it is about time.

It seems that they are holding most things till the last minute.

There seems to be a significant number of Pres in the wild.

I was hoping that Palm would make Apps and any possible update available before Sat, but that hope is fading. I remember the fiasco when Apple and ATT's servers died under the weight of just registration.

Sat will be a major test of the Pre infrastructure.

I hope they are ready!
    Tom
    I highly doubt a huge ROM update the day of release since the last thing they want to do is push a large update to 100k people that might totally FUBAR the device. The only way you will see a big update at release is if something is really screwed up with the phone and they have to RUSH to get it fixed despite the risks. A small update is likely and a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I guess you missed the story about UPS standing buy to flash the Pre with new ROMs. The story said that Palm decided not to use UPS for that. If that story is true, then we have a ROM update in the wings.
    That was over a month ago. However they were talking about updating it back then, it's happened by now, most likely a long time ago.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    That was over a month ago. However they were talking about updating it back then, it's happened by now, most likely a long time ago.
    It seems unlikely that the first units were unboxed and re-flashed. We could have more than one ROM version depending on production date.
    Tom
    It seems unlikely that the first units were unboxed and re-flashed. We could have more than one ROM version depending on production date.
    What exactly do you think UPS was going to do? Besides that, as mentioned, that was around a month ago. It almost definitely wasn't the whole production line that needed to be reflashed, but just the early productions.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that what the sprint advocates have in the sprint store, is what we will get. Think logically, sprint has invested a lot of time and money into training each and every employee about this phone.. The slightest change could really cause a lot of distress.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    What exactly do you think UPS was going to do? Besides that, as mentioned, that was around a month ago. It almost definitely wasn't the whole production line that needed to be reflashed, but just the early productions.
    The story implied that some of the units where air shipped and some where shipped by sea. Sea shipments take almost a month. If there were sea shipped units that could be the bulk of the early units.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that what the sprint advocates have in the sprint store, is what we will get. Think logically, sprint has invested a lot of time and money into training each and every employee about this phone.. The slightest change could really cause a lot of distress.
    I talked to my local Sprint Store yesterday. They claimed to NOT have even a demo unit. Either these guys are totally stone walling, or they are very low on the totem pole. They said they were not planning to open early on Sat.

That's OK, I have one reserved at another store.
    Tom
    UPS?? United Parcel Service?! You think Palm would ask THEM to flash the ROM on new Pre's?! I've heard of some stupid rumors before but that one is way up there! C'mon folks, a little intelligence please. Failing that, how about a smidgeon of common sense?
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    UPS?? United Parcel Service?! You think Palm would ask THEM to flash the ROM on new Pre's?! I've heard of some stupid rumors before but that one is way up there! C'mon folks, a little intelligence please. Failing that, how about a smidgeon of common sense?
    No. it's actually true. Let me see if I can find the link.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-way-us-2.html

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-p...ing-final-roms - On the bright side, it does sound like these shipping Pre Phones are indeed of shipping quality -- they have the final firmware on them and do not need to be re-flashed. Re-flashing to final ROM is a job that UPS Logistics has handled in the past for some phone companies and, we've been told, was a job they had been on-deck to do for the Pre before a last-minute change of heart at Palm.
    Last edited by Reminiz; 06/02/2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: found links
    I don't understand why they would ask UPS to install a new OS update when it happens over the air for everyone when they use their phones.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I don't understand why they would ask UPS to install a new OS update when it happens over the air for everyone when they use their phones.
    Imagine 100,000 Pres running update all at once and you should see why phone manufacturers will some times ask UPS to flash new ROMs as part of the shipping procedure.

There is an indication that that Update will check at some point in the setup procedure for ROM updates.
    Tom
    We've heard that there is a ROM update (from 1.0.1)

Has anyone updated the ROM?

What version did the update install?

What changes did you notice?
    This post makes no sense seeing as we don't yet have Pres.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    This post makes no sense seeing as we don't yet have Pres.
    You and I don't but there are quite a few in the wild. Stores are getting their demos and we have several moles among us.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    UPS is not in the ROM updating business; Sprint's distribution channel partner BrightPoint is. And it's very normal for them to update ROMs before shipping out phones to retail location, as they handle all aspects of distribution for Sprint / Palm.

And yes, this post is from the future...