Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The entire article is based on guesswork and assumptions. No one outside of Palm know how the iTunes sync works, nor whether it's legit. The guy's entitled to his guesswork and conclusions, but to give it any more credence than the rumor and guesswork on this site is absurd. We'll know for sure soon.
    But in absence of total, all encompassing knowledge we can make assumptions based on the statements of people with much more knowledge of iTunes and how it interacts with iPods then us. We can consider the fact that Apple has never allowed any other device such access to iTunes on windows and has not allowed any recent device such access on a Mac.

This seems like an ugly hack that will do more harm then good right now. I think Palm would be wise to write a little, simple app to sync non DRM music from an iTunes library like RIM has already done. Heck, Amazon's music downloader app already has the ability to add purchased music to iTunes, why not just add the ability to go the other way and copy to the Pre with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Why stop here? Let's fool BIS into thinking the Pre is a blackberry.
    Treos used to have that. It's called BlackBerry Connect.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I do think the OP fails, but not because of the article he linked to (which was actually a decent read, though I don't completely agree with it). The OP fails because it was simply a link with absolutely no discussion of his own added to it. If you're going to post a link, you should at least discuss it a bit to help kick off the thread and foster discussion. Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. It happens a lot on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Treos used to have that. It's called BlackBerry Connect.
    and now WM's Touch Pro has a "emulator" that was help created by RIM too.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The entire article is based on guesswork and assumptions. No one outside of Palm know how the iTunes sync works, nor whether it's legit. The guy's entitled to his guesswork and conclusions, but to give it any more credence than the rumor and guesswork on this site is absurd. We'll know for sure soon.
    well said, the core of this feature is that API , specific details of which are not known.
    I deleted a bunch of back & forth insults and attacks.

You guys really need to cool off.
    Just call me Berd.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    It does say "Syncing iPod" up at the top, but what caught my eye (and apparently nobody else's) is what it says on the left.

That's what I find interesting. It doesn't say iPod. If it was masquerading as an iPod by some sort of trick, wouldn't it show up as a real, legit, 100% supported iPod? Or at least be called one?

Look:
    You can change the name of your iPod or other device to say whatever you want in iTunes by double-clicking on the name. My iPhone used to say "iPhone" now it just say's "my name's iPhone". That really means nothing.

I personally see it as an opportunity for Apple to extend their market share of music sales which is where they make quite a bit of money.
    Jon Lech Johansen confirmed that Apple can easily block iTunes support for Palm Pre today. Do you think Apple will do it and does it matter to you if Apple does? I do think Apple will do it since it would be really easy for them but I don't care if they do because I like to just drag and drop my files.
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    How easy would it be for Palm to counter blocking attempts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    How easy would it be fore Palm to counter blocking attempts?
    I guess we'll find out when Apple actually does block the Palm Pre. I think if Apple does block it Palm may be able to fix it with another webOS update.
    IMO bad move for Apple to block it. keep the ecosystem open and free and the PERCEIVED gold standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    How easy would it be fore Palm to counter blocking attempts?
    It would be a losing proposition for Palm if Apple was really serious about it.

Apple already has a record of turning a blind eye to the Jailbreaking crowd, but it will be interesting to see if their patience with a small group of hackers extends to one of their competitors in the marketplace. After all, it really is cheesy of Palm to leech off Apple's technology just because they're too cheap to develop their own.
    palm already got the buzz it was looking for so it doesn't matter...... i personally hate itunes
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Here's the actual URL... nanocr.eu Ľ Blog Archive Ľ Palm Pre USB hack confirmed

As I speculated in my previous blog post on Palm Pre Sync and now confirmed by the image above, when the Pre is in “Media Sync” mode it identifies itself as an Apple iPod. However, it’s only the Mass Storage interface that identifies itself as an iPod. The root USB node (IOUSBDevice) still identifies the device as a Palm Pre (not visible in the image above). This means that Apple can very easily update iTunes to block the Pre.
    Sorry but this was very smart of Palm, iTunes is the biggest catalog of songs, TV shows and also some movies. Everyone uses this program and it is a bonus that the Palm can use this too. Why make a new technology when there are more then just Palm making devices that connect to iTunes. Apple would be smart NOT to block them as it still will be more revenue for Apple for people to buy the items off iTunes.

Adam
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It would be a losing proposition for Palm if Apple was really serious about it.

Apple already has a record of turning a blind eye to the Jailbreaking crowd, but it will be interesting to see if their patience with a small group of hackers extends to one of their competitors in the marketplace. After all, it really is cheesy of Palm to leech off Apple's technology just because they're too cheap to develop their own.
    By cheesy your mean smart, by leech you mean take advantage of. Got it!
    If they do, I just won't upgrade my itunes.
    Just dont auto update iTunes if this option is important to you. Also can wait to see if they do break it before updating iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by aharvey2000 View Post
    Sorry but this was very smart of Palm, iTunes is the biggest catalog of songs, TV shows and also some movies.
    This is a moot point since only non DRM songs and video can sync to the Palm Pre.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast