Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How dumb is this...

you sign into AIM and it adds every single screen name, however childish, to your contacts!

I don't want "cutiepie100" listed as a contact, that's just stupid. But it doesn't mean i dont want my friends linked with their AIM and it doesn't mean i don't want to sign onto aim and see my buddy list.

Even my current olddd blackberry curve lets me search through every single word in anything on my phone. It did that from 2 years ago! I can search anything on any calendar item, any part of any email, etc. The search function on BB is sooo basic but so extensive. Good luck everyone else! i'm sticking with blackberry and my crappy browser til something good comes out.
    Last edited by forumsid987; 06/01/2009 at 11:10 PM.
    good luck
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    thanks for sharing. Enjoy your BB.
    Ive never even heard of it importing AIM contacts before but more for the rest of us who actually want a Pre.

(as if it would be Palms fault you added CutiePieXXX69 to your AIM account)
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    (as if it would be Palms fault you added CutiePieXXX69 to your AIM account)
    Sometimes I want to talk to high school friends without having "SexXyBeachBod" on my phone's contact list.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    then tell your friends to change their names. Or edit your contacts.
    Ive watched the videos and I havent seen AIM contacts added to your contacts list, maybe I missed it but this may be a complaint about a problem that doesn't exist.
    Where did you hear that the Palm Pre imports AIM contacts?
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    This is the first time I've heard of this, but if this is the case I'd think you could just rename those contacts.
    I'm so glad I stopped using AIM years ago
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I'm so glad I stopped using AIM years ago
    indeed
    I still use AIM. I use Adium on my Mac and all my screen names are associated with contacts in my Address Book. I turned on the option to see Address Book names instead of SNs. I'm sure it'll be like this on the Pre.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by forumsid987 View Post
    How dumb is this...

you sign into AIM and it adds every single screen name, however childish, to your contacts!

I don't want "cutiepie100" listed as a contact, that's just stupid. But it doesn't mean i dont want my friends linked with their AIM and it doesn't mean i don't want to sign onto aim and see my buddy list.

Even my current olddd blackberry curve lets me search through every single word in anything on my phone. It did that from 2 years ago! I can search anything on any calendar item, any part of any email, etc. The search function on BB is sooo basic but so extensive. Good luck everyone else! i'm sticking with blackberry and my crappy browser til something good comes out.

If Apple and RIM fanboys are so convinced that their favorite device is so superior to the Pre why do they continue to bash fans of the Pre? You fanboys aren't feeling threatened are you?

Actually here's the mentality: It's a group mentality thing. There is a form or argumentation that's quite popular to use but is otherwise a fallacy (a bad argument). It's called 'Argumentum Ad Populum' (tr. an argument which appeals to the masses). People very often believe that if everyone else is doing somthing or believes something then that justifies it's truth. For example, at one time pretty damn near everyone believed the earth to be flat. So at the time, someone might have argued: The earth is flat since everyone believes that it's flat. These fallacies fall under the category of errors called 'Non Sequiturs' (tr. the conclusion doesn't follow). For any non sequitur, the premises are irrelevant to the conclusion.

Now, when people get fanatical about issues, beliefs, etc. They start to try to convert others. In the mind of the fanatic, if he can successfully convert others, then that further justifies or proves the validity of his own belief. Such people are literally trying to force an Ad Populum. But this need to convert others (to justify one's own belief) screams of doubt.

Moral: Sometimes there is no "right answer".

((yes, I'm bored OK! So, just let it go.))
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post

If Apple and RIM fanboys are so convinced that their favorite device is so superior to the Pre why do they continue to bash fans of the Pre? You fanboys aren't feeling threatened are you?

Actually here's the mentality: It's a group mentality thing. There is a form or argumentation that's quite popular to use but is otherwise a fallacy (a bad argument). It's called 'Argumentum Ad Populum' (tr. an argument which appeals to the masses). People very often believe that if everyone else is doing somthing or believes something then that justifies it's truth. For example, at one time pretty damn near everyone believed the earth to be flat. So at the time, someone might have argued: The earth is flat since everyone believes that it's flat. These fallacies fall under the category of errors called 'Non Sequiturs' (tr. the conclusion doesn't follow). For any non sequitur, the premises are irrelevant to the conclusion.

Now, when people get fanatical about issues, beliefs, etc. They start to try to convert others. In the mind of the fanatic, if he can successfully convert others, then that further justifies or proves the validity of his own belief. Such people are literally trying to force an Ad Populum. But this need to convert others (to justify one's own belief) screams of doubt.

Do these paragraphs of fallacy elaboration make the Pre able search through calendar appointments?

But seriously, any confirmation on this AIM--Contact thing? I hadn't head anything about this before.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post

I'm a huge fan of the pre, I wanted to ditch the BB for it, but sadly the Pre is a very 1.0 device. *very* 1.0. The more we point out the deficiencies, the more we can petition to Palm to improve them. As a developer I work on all platforms (iphone, G1, palm, BB, etc etc) and even with every device I still go back to my Sprint Curve for my day to day device because it just does so much and so well (for the most part). Little things like searching inside of emails make a big difference. Hopefully Palm can address a lot of these concerns soon.
    Well considering the Pre pretty much just imports all contacts from Google / Facebook without any options to better pick the ones you actually want it wouldn't surprise me if there was AIM integration that it would work the same way.

Palm's syncing mechanics are retarded. Google sync should work with "my contacts" not "all contacts" and face book should only sync people you actually want on the device. Same with all the other "synergy" syncs.

Palm is pushing synergy and right now it is a joke to say the least. Unfortunately some here can't admit that something about the pre could be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumsid987 View Post
    How dumb is this...

I can understand some of the frustration, but I don't agree with the blame.

If you think cutiepie's name is too stupid to show up in your list of contacts, then either delete the user from your buddy list, display the user's real name, or don't sync your AIM contacts.

It's very similar to the Facebook contacts argument. People devalue the term "friends" by digitally hooking up with everybody they make eye contact with online. Then they say they've got five thousand frickin' "friends" or whatever Fb calls them... "but what does it MEAN mon?!"

It means that, if you've got 5000 so-called friends with childish nicknames that you don't like enough to even have them show up in a contacts list that you won't even have to manually generate... then maybe the problem isn't with the device that's automatically adding them, but with you for choosing them.

By the way, folks, this is what I consider to be a respectful way fo disagreeing with someone's argument without calling them a "******" or a "goober." Hopefully, my way stands up to scrutiny.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Google contacts has a messenger field where you can specify AIM screennames. I'm not saying this will work for sure, but hopefully if the AIM screenname is set in google for a contact, it will automatically link the AIM and contact name so you don't have to see their screenname.
    Where is this AIM claim coming from? Signing into Facebook won't even import FB contacts, you have to do it in the contacts app, and the contacts app doesn't have an AIM option.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    By the way, folks, this is what I consider to be a respectful way fo disagreeing with someone's argument without calling them a "******" or a "goober." Hopefully, my way stands up to scrutiny.
    meh... you didn't need to add your sidenote, you are a respected member of the community. However, it's nice that you recognize it's of your opinion and only of your opinion. I think sometimes zealots on here try to shout a bit too much about how it should be and then that's the only way.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Where is this AIM claim coming from? Signing into Facebook won't even import FB contacts, you have to do it in the contacts app, and the contacts app doesn't have an AIM option.
    it does for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Well considering the Pre pretty much just imports all contacts from Google / Facebook without any options to better pick the ones you actually want it wouldn't surprise me if there was AIM integration that it would work the same way.

Palm's syncing mechanics are retarded. Google sync should work with "my contacts" not "all contacts" and face book should only sync people you actually want on the device. Same with all the other "synergy" syncs.

Palm is pushing synergy and right now it is a joke to say the least. Unfortunately some here can't admit that something about the pre could be better.
    It can definitely be better, but it doesn't bother me. On my Blackberry Curve, I never ever ever, in the months I've used it, opened the contacts program. I always type the first two letters of who I want to call. So having extra contacts in my list doesn't bother me because I can do the same thing I've become accustomed to on the Pre. Getting all their data like pictures and job info instantly is a plus and a tradeoff I am willing to make.

You don't need to scroll through, so I feel like it's being blown out of proportion. Is it odd? Yeah. Could it be better? It should be. In the end, does it effect me personally? No, because of how I use my phone. So I don't care about this too much.

I mean, on Facebook, to get to a friend you type their name in the corner and select them. Same in Google. This isn't some crazy broken way, it's just a way people aren't used to doing on a phone, but accept on the computer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast