Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    well he was correct
    once u log into AIM, it'll add ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl your contacts into your pre contacts
    so yeh i see BigBoobsBonnie in my contacts now, terrible that palm wants to sync ALL contacts from EVERYWHERE into your pre contact list
    In end it forces you to to clean up your contacts and put screen names with the appropriate contact. Why have an AIM entry box and not use it?
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    In end it forces you to to clean up your contacts and put screen names with the appropriate contact. Why have an AIM entry box and not use it?
    cuz theres plently of people i ONLY talk to on AIM and never on the phone or even have their number for that matter,so why should i see that IM name in my phone contacts?

    so if i dont have a contact for them, how do i put the screen name to them?

    calling people on the phone and IM'ing people are 2 totally different things, then will never be the same thing
  3. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by forumsid987 View Post
    How dumb is this...

    you sign into AIM and it adds every single screen name, however childish, to your contacts!

    I don't want "cutiepie100" listed as a contact, that's just stupid. But it doesn't mean i dont want my friends linked with their AIM and it doesn't mean i don't want to sign onto aim and see my buddy list.

    Even my current olddd blackberry curve lets me search through every single word in anything on my phone. It did that from 2 years ago! I can search anything on any calendar item, any part of any email, etc. The search function on BB is sooo basic but so extensive. Good luck everyone else! i'm sticking with blackberry and my crappy browser til something good comes out.
    So it's stupid for them to be added to your contacts...but not stupid for them to be on your buddylist?.......or worse, it's NOT stupid that you know a person that would create the screen name "cutiepie100"

    FAIL

    Take AIM off and just wait for a dedicated AIM app if its that big a deal
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    cuz theres plently of people i ONLY talk to on AIM and never on the phone or even have their number for that matter,so why should i see that IM name in my phone contacts?

    so if i dont have a contact for them, how do i put the screen name to them?

    calling people on the phone and IM'ing people are 2 totally different things, then will never be the same thing
    Phone contacts has become bigger than just numbers. You have email addresses, street addresses, etc. I don't see why adding someone with just an SN is a problem. I don't have a Pre so I wouldn't be able to tell you how to put a screen name with a contact. My guess is to either edit the SN contact and put a real name or to create a contact with the person's real name and merge contacts into one. An extra plus is you get to see a regular name instead of a SN on your buddylist.

    I guess I'm all for the idea because I've had my SNs in my Address Book (Mac OS X) already for years and haven't looked at a buddy list with SNs in a long time.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Phone contacts has become bigger than just numbers. You have email addresses, street addresses, etc. I don't see why adding someone with just an SN is a problem. I don't have a Pre so I wouldn't be able to tell you how to put a screen name with a contact. My guess is to either edit the SN contact and put a real name or to create a contact with the person's real name and merge contacts into one. An extra plus is you get to see a regular name instead of a SN on your buddylist.

    I guess I'm all for the idea because I've had my SNs in my Address Book (Mac OS X) already for years and haven't looked at a buddy list with SNs in a long time.

    why add a person with a screen name to my pre contacts when i can ONLY use it when im logged into AIM ?

    and i know how to link a screen name to a contact, but what i wrote was i have several people i just talk to online so i have a screen name for them,some i dont even know their real name. im sayin i dont have a contact in my pre to link them to because normally all my pre contacts are people i know and call or email, and with just a screen name from AIM i do NEITHER
  6. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #46  
    It's called contacts. Not Phonebook.
  7. #47  
    on my old aim account i had over 100 sn's so i made a new one with only the few friends i talked to and linked them in my contacts. hope this helps
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    why add a person with a screen name to my pre contacts when i can ONLY use it when im logged into AIM ?

    and i know how to link a screen name to a contact, but what i wrote was i have several people i just talk to online so i have a screen name for them,some i dont even know their real name. im sayin i dont have a contact in my pre to link them to because normally all my pre contacts are people i know and call or email, and with just a screen name from AIM i do NEITHER
    I see what you're saying now. You don't have real names to associate with the screen names so therefore it can only be listed as the screen name.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  9. #49  
    There seems to be a fair amount of back-and-forth arguing on this topic. It's not really worthy of an argument. It's a 50/50 thing where you'll never make everyone happy with a single solution. As a software engineer, I see a simple solution.... "Add a pref" :-)

    Palm needs to add a preference to allow toggling chat clients in/out of the contacts list.
    This is in addition to adding logic that checks all contacts for a matching chat id; if found, that chat id isn't added as a new contact.

    I'm all for "Synergy" but not at the expense of the user experience.... There's many use-cases as to why you'd want to keep things separate. So hopefully Palm will discover that after real-world feedback of the phone gets back to them.
  10. #50  
    lame palm, lame...
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
    Sometimes I want to talk to high school friends without having "SexXyBeachBod" on my phone's contact list.
    This is really very simple to fix.
    • Add your friend's real name to the Pre's contact list.
    • Don't put any information on (or do, if you choose).
    • Open the friend's entry
    • Click the friend's name
    • Select Link More Profiles
    • Browse to the SexXyBeachBod entry
    • Select Edit and set the Pre profile as the primary profile
    • IM your friend, and tell them it's time to grow up and get a more mature username
    • Download the Pre manual, read it, experiment around a bit


    Or, just stick with your BB. Let us know how well the AIM integration works with it. Or not.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    [*]Download the Pre manual, read it, experiment around a bit[/LIST]

    Or, just stick with your BB. Let us know how well the AIM integration works with it. Or not.
    Reading the manual doesn't resolve the issue. It's clearly a work flow problem for MANY people, or this thread would have been closed. And why the snideness? It's a legitimate problem for this dude...

    AIM names are very transient. I know people that create new ones every few months, just in an effort to purge old contacts. I don't want to have to manually prune the contact list (since another bug doesn't remove AIM contacts when you remove the AIM account.)
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonatepaint View Post
    Reading the manual doesn't resolve the issue. It's clearly a work flow problem for MANY people, or this thread would have been closed. And why the snideness? It's a legitimate problem for this dude...

    AIM names are very transient. I know people that create new ones every few months, just in an effort to purge old contacts. I don't want to have to manually prune the contact list (since another bug doesn't remove AIM contacts when you remove the AIM account.)

    are you serious?????????????? i was gonna try to remove to AIM profile, then add it back. so you sayin once u add an AIM name, even someone who u might never IM again in life, its stuck forever in your pre? I gotta issue a wipe command from palm.com to get rid of one lame IM contact? r u serious??????????????????????????????????????????????????
  14. #54  
    For all of your excess screen names that don't fit under a real name of a contact you want, you can create a "spare" fake name at the end of your list (just start it with Z) and link all the worthless screen names to THAT profile.

    That's the only way, it's pretty annoying but that's it I guess.

    Will it work the same way if I do that for Facebook, too?
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonatepaint View Post
    Reading the manual doesn't resolve the issue. It's clearly a work flow problem for MANY people, or this thread would have been closed. And why the snideness? It's a legitimate problem for this dude...

    AIM names are very transient. I know people that create new ones every few months, just in an effort to purge old contacts. I don't want to have to manually prune the contact list (since another bug doesn't remove AIM contacts when you remove the AIM account.)
    It wasn't snide. I laid it out for him step by step. I figured out how to do this by reading the manual and experimenting around a bit.

    I didn't mean to imply that the answer was written in black and white in the manual. Had that been the case, I wouldn't have spelled it out step by step. But, the fact is way too many people are jumping in and expecting this device to behave the way their old device (whatever it is) behaved. It won't.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonatepaint View Post
    ...
    (since another bug doesn't remove AIM contacts when you remove the AIM account.)
    I can't speak for your Pre, but I just tested this on mine, twice. When I removed my AIM account_ all of the non-linked AIM accounts went away.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    For all of your excess screen names that don't fit under a real name of a contact you want, you can create a "spare" fake name at the end of your list (just start it with Z) and link all the worthless screen names to THAT profile.

    That's the only way, it's pretty annoying but that's it I guess.

    Will it work the same way if I do that for Facebook, too?
    not a fix, but yeh definately a good workaround for now, i'll try that thanks
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    not a fix, but yeh definately a good workaround for now, i'll try that thanks
    I think (though I'm not sure it'll work) that you could go a step further, and put a Pre contact in your contact list called "AOL Buddies" (or something like that), and link all of the embarrasing-named buddies to it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions