Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1.    #1  
    My 22 months isn't up until August. When I decided I wanted the Pre, I knew I wouldn't get the full $150 discount, but doing some reading today, it seems I can't get rebates either. Which makes the price $474 instead of the $274 I'd anticipated. That's a big penalty for two months.

    I know I can wait, but I'm going to be traveling a bit this summer, and I'd much rather change phones now.

    I've heard the suggestion of calling Sprint. Is there any particular department I want to talk to, and any particular strategy I should use persuade them that they should upgrade me early for less than $474?

    I really appreciate any advice.
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
  2. shadrap's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    #2  
    Retentions Department. Tell them you will leave and go to At and T if you can not purchase at the new rate. But wait until after the launch. They won't do anything before then.
  3. #3  
    I spoke with Retentions the first week of May...they notated my acct for 2 Pre's at the 2 year agreement price and both lines were only 6 mths into contract. I've heard closer to launch that they're not doing much of this.
  4. #4  
    It depends. As I mentioned in one of the other threads, reports seem to differ regarding what kind of rebates we will get as Sprint customers still under contract (mine is up in October). Last week I called Sprint, and they told me I would get no rebates whatsoever, putting the cost of my Pre at about $475 after the $75 discount with a new contract.

    However, I've read here and elsewhere that people are saying those under contract will get the full $200 in rebates if you sign a new contract, regardless of where you are in your current contract. So earlier tonight I chatted online with a Sprint Rep and she told me that I would be eligible for the mail-in rebate, but NOT the instant rebate, putting my cost at $399 after discount and rebate. So yeah, there's definitely some confusion here, and I have yet to hear a definitive answer. We might not know until we show up on Saturday morning.

    I would suggest calling Sprint or chatting with them online and see what they tell you, then report back what you find out.
  5.    #5  
    Now I am debating whether it would be better to call tomorrow, or to wait until after launch? I don't want an "we already told her no" notation on my account
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
  6. KRYER1's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #6  
    im on my 16th month of a 2 year contract so looks like ill be giving up $400. now that sux
  7. #7  
    WHen the PRE launches, I will be 24days from being able to getting the 150 discount...I have not problem renewing for another 2 years...they just wont budge

    IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  8. rijc99#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    WHen the PRE launches, I will be 24days from being able to getting the 150 discount...I have not problem renewing for another 2 years...they just wont budge

    IGO
    Same boat here... no budging. I've spoke to a bunch of different reps in retentions and their managers. No joy. Looks like if I want the Pre I'm going to have to start a new line and put the existing in the family plan until I can drop it.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    WHen the PRE launches, I will be 24days from being able to getting the 150 discount...I have not problem renewing for another 2 years...they just wont budge

    IGO
    Yeah same with me. I have called a couple times, not threatening to leave or anything, just asking. These calls were with retentions also, they have the power to do a lot....They have all said the same thing "We have no option on our computer to change it so you can get the rebate early." Now, if I was really canceling my account, I can guarantee that they would have the option then, but I can wait 24 days...
  10. #10  
    They were doing it at first but I when I discussed it with a sprint employee they said they will not make any changes to peoples accounts until after the supply comes up. Just another way of supply control . They will not budge now. My guess they had the option taken away by the big shots. Wait a few weeks after release and then when supply is up they might be more easy to deal with.
  11. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #11  
    I am eligible for the $150 upgrade on July 1. That's rough. I spoke to a Sprint rep who said I will still get the $100 instant and $100 mail-in rebates, so that brings it down from $550 to $350.

    I have to get rid of this Treo800w as soon as possible, so I'm trading it in. That $50 will bring me down to $300. I can live with that.
  12. Paterick's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    #12  
    My 22 months is also up in August. I emailed Sprint support to find out how much it would cost to upgrade to a Pre. I have seen so many messages saying different things about what it would cost regards to rebates and such. The response I got back was that it would indeed be $474 after a $75 upgrade credit . If I wait until august then it would be $199 after the credits and rebates.

    The email went on to say that because I was a long standing good customer, they would give me a $100 credit on my bill after activating a Pre . Even though I am really wanting to get a Pre as soon as possible, I am not sure I want to pay $374 for one.
  13. #13  
    I wasnt eligible for the $150 until october, so I called spoke with a rep and told him I wasnt happy with my current phone and wanted to upgrade to a newer one. He said I would only get $75 bucks off. I told him that I couldnt afford to pay that much for a phone, and he put me on hold, when he came back he offered me the treo pro for $199. Received the phone never activated it, called sprint and asked if I could trade it for the Pre, they said no problem just bring the Pro to the store on June 6th.
  14. #14  
    Now that's what I call working the system!
  15.    #15  
    I really appreciate all the experiences shared here. I guess I will wait a week or two after launch, see what the stock situation is, and then maybe give them a call.

    I'm really disappointed... I wanted a Pre Saturday.
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
  16. #16  
    I am in the exact same situation. I am up for the full $150 in August. I chatted with CS and told them my situation. Wife and I have been customers for 8 years, have convinced 7 people to join Sprint in the last 6 months and have $180 family plan.

    She said she put in a request to her supervisor to give us the full $150 discount on my and my wife's lines so we can get the Pre on Saturday. Now I am very eagerly awaiting a phone call from the supervisor.
  17. #17  
    So this might not really be working the system. But what if you were to add another line (19.99 a month) and then cancel your current phone contract when you can (assuming beginning of October). So for $100 bucks (~5 months worth) + taxes ($100.00 + taxes) you can get the pre now.

    When you add the other line just have your number switched to the Pre and then don't use the existing phone etc (or do use it...whatever...shared minutes)

    Would that not work...opinions?
  18. #18  
    i would suggest that you charge the Pre to your account and then talk with them later.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    She said she put in a request to her supervisor to give us the full $150 discount on my and my wife's lines so we can get the Pre on Saturday. Now I am very eagerly awaiting a phone call from the supervisor.
    I'm in the same boat. I called, and was even directed to the rep's supervisor (not just "put in a request", I talked to them). The supervisor told me that they have been given an executive mandate NOT to make any such "early renewal" offers on the Pre until after launch. They even forwarded me to Retentions who told me the same thing. They were VERY firm about it, even when I pointed out how silly it is to make valued customers wait 2 extra months to get a hot phone when there will be a competitive new iPhone tantalizing us in July.

    Quote Originally Posted by cbloom164 View Post
    So this might not really be working the system. But what if you were to add another line (19.99 a month) and then cancel your current phone contract when you can (assuming beginning of October). So for $100 bucks (~5 months worth) + taxes ($100.00 + taxes) you can get the pre now.

    When you add the other line just have your number switched to the Pre and then don't use the existing phone etc (or do use it...whatever...shared minutes)

    Would that not work...opinions?
    I am considering doing exactly that... but I only have 1 line, so getting a second line would mean I'd have to get an Everything Data share plan... I'm currently on the $70 Everything Data, and the 2-line plan is $130/mo, which would basically be $50/mo for my 2nd line...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantCalibre View Post
    I saw somewhere on Sprint.com that an extra line was only $9.99 and not $19.99.
    That I believe depends on your plan.

    For instance...

    Per Sprint.com - Everything Data Family
    (assuming you already have 2 lines on the account)

    Lines 1-2 included. Lines 3-5 are $19.99/mo./line

    This is the spot that I am in, so this is the route I think I will have to take. Except in my case it's December before I can cancel. 6 x 19.99 = $120.00 + 199.99, so for $320 + tax I can get the thing on day 1. I can't terminate my contract early, they changed the pro-rate rules after I signed up. It would cost me $200.00 to cancel if I went that route. So I figure this saves me a bit of cash.
    Last edited by cbloom164; 06/02/2009 at 01:52 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions