Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paterick View Post
    My 22 months is also up in August. I emailed Sprint support to find out how much it would cost to upgrade to a Pre. I have seen so many messages saying different things about what it would cost regards to rebates and such. The response I got back was that it would indeed be $474 after a $75 upgrade credit . If I wait until august then it would be $199 after the credits and rebates.

The email went on to say that because I was a long standing good customer, they would give me a $100 credit on my bill after activating a Pre . Even though I am really wanting to get a Pre as soon as possible, I am not sure I want to pay $374 for one.
    I am in the exact situation as you!!! So is it confirmed that the $75 off customers do not get any rebates whatsoever?? If so, that really stinks!! I am so jealous of everyone that is getting theirs on Saturday!! If I had the extra cash I would obviously get one but just getting out of college really no extra cash around anywhere lol. The real crappy thing about my situation is that the primary account holder (mother) can get a new one because were a Premier customer but only the master wil get the $299 price and I have to wait!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by whaddupdoe View Post
    I wasnt eligible for the $150 until october, so I called spoke with a rep and told him I wasnt happy with my current phone and wanted to upgrade to a newer one. He said I would only get $75 bucks off. I told him that I couldnt afford to pay that much for a phone, and he put me on hold, when he came back he offered me the treo pro for $199. Received the phone never activated it, called sprint and asked if I could trade it for the Pre, they said no problem just bring the Pro to the store on June 6th.
    Pure Awesome.
    I am been in contact from the beginning with Sprint and have heard (i am also in the middle of my contract no elegible until Dec for the $150 which sucks) we will get the $75 dollars off and the $100 mir but no extra instant rebate that new customers or upgrade 22+mos sprint people get.

I dont think i would pay more than the 374 or whatever it is calculated for middle contract people, so if the mir doesnt apply which would just be downright unfair since i would been going into a brand new 2yr agreement i will wait out the storm and see what happens between now and Dec in the smartphone world.

That is unless the price comes down for blackfriday and/or the holiday season
    My 22 months is up July 1st, also. If I can't get the $199 price point right away, I believe I'll wait the 24 days go get a Pre. As much as I want one, I can't justify the expense.

I'll keep checking here for updates from you fine people, though.
    Just called rentetions/customer service and got the I am looking at the screen right now and your qualify for the $75 off but no 100mir but if your serious about the phone when it is finally released i am sure i can get you that extra 100 off ... that was after i said to the guy dont know if its really worth staying to pay 400 something dollars for a phone and another 10 a month for a new plan and renew contract for another 2yrs ...

I am willing to bet after the dust settles telesales will offer better deals to those in the middle of there contracts, especially if your willing to throw in all down all or nothing for the phone
  6.    #26  
    I tried the chat with e-care today -- no joy, even when I mentioned that if I had to wait I'd be considering all of my options, including the iPhone.
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I am eligible for the $150 upgrade on July 1. That's rough. I spoke to a Sprint rep who said I will still get the $100 instant and $100 mail-in rebates, so that brings it down from $550 to $350.

I have to get rid of this Treo800w as soon as possible, so I'm trading it in. That $50 will bring me down to $300. I can live with that.
    I am pretty sure you are not eligible for ANY rebates except for 75 bucks for a 2 yr agreement.

I checked. Just buy the Pre for full price on Staurday and then return it on July 1st for a new one when you are eligible. I am in the same boat as you and that is exactly what I plan on doing. Their rules, I am just playing by them.
    Ugh, I just realized that I'm not eligible until 4/10.

What sucks is that I was given a replacement 755p for my 650 when it broke and they renewed my eligibility date. What gives?

Do you think I have a premise to complain considering I technically have not purchased a new phone for my line since 2005?
    Yeah, I wouldn't hold out much hope for any sort of lower pricing anytime soon in this situation (at least not until the phones start selling like hot-cakes and are eventually stocked fully, or until they start tanking and need a lower price point to move them). Here is why I say this...

I have been with Sprint since the end of Feb/beginning of March of 08, and I have an LG muziq. That model phone was already about 8 months old when I bought it, and it was by no means a smart-phone (or even near smart-phone)…so I got it for pretty cheap (which is fine considering all I wanted to do was make calls with it).

Now, I have a 39.99 plan, and I NEVER send text messages/browse the web/etc....so Sprint always gets a 45 dollar payment from me with taxes included. Also, I am not a "contract jumper" as it were, and I have only owned three cell-phones in eight years. The only reason I dumped my old green-screen first cell phone was because I was told by AT&T that it would no longer work on their network due to some band issue or some such thing, and the only reason I dumped my second cell phone and AT&T was because they hassled me about a mandatory one-year contract extension for wanting to change the name of the person paying for my service (even though I was actually paying it to begin with).

Having followed the pre hub-bub, I decided that the Pre brought enough features to the table that perhaps it was time for me to get a phone for reasons other than simply making calls with it (cough cough, Sprint navigation, web-browsing, cough)

With this in mind, I wanted to use my one-year eligible upgrade in conjunction with the rebates on the Pre. I read this site, and others, and realized that there was no way I was going to get near 200 dollars as a price point given my circumstances. However, I thought perhaps I could get the Pre price lowered a few hundred bucks if I made a case to Sprint about how they would make a boat load of money off of me in the long term if they would cut me a price break right now.

Talking with a Sprint rep, I actually broke down the numbers….I told him that in order to fulfill a full 24 months, I am going to end up paying them another 405 dollars (9 months of 45 a month) before my contract is up.

However, if they are willing to cut me a break on the Pre pricing, I would be willing to pay up to 350 for the Pre (given that accessories and activation and all of that would come into play and make the total well over 400). This would also result in me moving up to their 69.99 everything data plan, as well as getting insurance on the Pre. If I have been given the correct numbers for taxes and phone insurance rates, let's assume I would be paying them 80 dollars a month.

Now, if we add that extra 40 a month for the next 9 months (my current full contract), they would be making an extra 360 dollars off of me right there.

However, I am happy to sign up for either a new two year contract starting the 6th, or even a 2 year contract tacked on to my existing 9 months (essentially, almost a 3 year contract).

If they gave me a new 2 year starting Saturday 6th, over the next two years I would end up giving them 1920 dollars for the contract, as well as 350 for the phone. This means I am willing to give them 2270 over two years for the phone/contract combo.

Or, if they would allow an extension on top of my current 9 months, I would end up giving them an extra 40 a month for 9 months (which equals 405 dollars more over top of the 405 I would given them with my remaining 9 months at 40.00 a month), as well as 1920 for the contract time after that, as well as 350 for the Pre itself. Adding all of this together...Sprint would get 2675 from me over the course of the next 33 months.

Now, I understand that a chunk of change was taken off of my Muziq precisely because I was agreeing to a 2-year contract with Spring. I understand that Sprint is in this to make money, and so I am not casting them as evil for not being willing to work with me on this.

However, what I am saying is that I think we can see how strict they are going to be (at least for now) on the Pre pricing, given that I can't manage to get 200 dollars off of a phone right now in exchange for guaranteeing them anywhere from 2270 to 2675 over the next 33 months.

I am sure they have their reasons for doing what they are doing, but it would seem to me that they are throwing away a lot of money from me down the road in the name of not cutting me a price break now. Once again however, I am not saying they are evil or screwing me or anything...just that I might be a bit more flexible on this issue if it were my company, given the amount of money they stand to make off of the deal lol
    I am completely stuck. I have talked to eCare, over the phone Sprint Cust Reps, "Retentions", Managers in all of those departments, and I even sent Dan@Sprint.com an email. A woman from Dan's office called me at work today and politely reaffirmed everything I've been hearing:

"With this kind of phone" (her vague words, same phrasing I've heard from everyone, must be a script) they are not able to offer any sort of advance upgrades. She reminded me, again, that I would be eligible for the upgrade price as of 9/1/09. She said there is no possible way for her or anyone any where within the company to give me an earlier upgrade.

I explained that in the past, I have walked into Sprint stores and been given a new phone upgrade a month or so before my actual date rolled around. She said things like that are entirely up to the discretion of the store reps and management but that online and over the phone with Sprint it is strictly forbidden. I explained that many of my "friends" (ie people I've seen posting on here) have shown me chat logs of reps giving them early upgrade notations on their account and her response was simply that those reps must have chosen to "break the rules". So, there you have it. You're screwed unless you find a rep who's willing to break the rules.

I explained to the Sprint Retentions manager that, if I am forced to wait until September 1, I will then be out of contract and I will be fully weighing staying w/Sprint to get the Pre versus switching the AT&T to get the newest iPhone that will surely be out by then. The retentions woman was a hardass and hung up on me!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    Ugh, I just realized that I'm not eligible until 4/10.

What sucks is that I was given a replacement 755p for my 650 when it broke and they renewed my eligibility date. What gives?

Do you think I have a premise to complain considering I technically have not purchased a new phone for my line since 2005?
    Don't count on it. I was in the same boat with a 755p replacement for my 600 (which i originally bought in 2003), and my upgrade date is only 1 month away on 7/1. I have tried every possible channel (retentions, in store, e-care, customer service, corporate discount department, etc) to get my date moved up arguing that i didn't buy a new phone, but no luck..not even for one month! I would wait until the dust settles a little on the pre and give them a call back.

good luck!
    I tried calling today to get my 7/1 discount date moved up but they couldn't help me out. It's less than 30 days...you think they'd cut people some slack. I understand that there are guidelines, but I believe this is a bad one. I've been with Sprint over 10 years and can't get a break.

I told the rep (who was very nice, by the way) that my suggestion to them would be to reward long-time customers with the ability to upgrade quicker. Loyal customers help build up a customer base by word-of-mouth. They deserve small perks. (Rant over...)
  13.    #33  
    I am beyond bummed about this

You would really think that for the people in the 1-2 month window who are willing to buy an expensive phone, and more importantly, commit to an expensive plan for the next two years, that they would cut us some slack.

I don't even need the full discount -- but I shouldn't have to pay more than double, either.
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    did anyone else get their upgrade discount moved up til now?

mines wasnt until september yet today when i checked, i get the full discount. does this mean i can buy one at best buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by ayman86 View Post
    did anyone else get their upgrade discount moved up til now?

mines wasnt until september yet today when i checked, i get the full discount. does this mean i can buy one at best buy?
    I would double check with a sprint representative to see when you eligible for the full discount...if they allow you to get the full discount than everyone else outside of the 22 month period should as well...than again just wait a week or 2 after all the hype and try to talk your way into the full discount thats what I plan on doing!
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight_Lauderdale View Post
    I would double check with a sprint representative to see when you eligible for the full discount...if they allow you to get the full discount than everyone else outside of the 22 month period should as well...than again just wait a week or 2 after all the hype and try to talk your way into the full discount thats what I plan on doing!
    that was my game plan. to talk my way into getting the full discount but then this happened.

right when, when i try to upgrade my phone, i get any phone with the full discounts (ie diamond for 199, etc). ill call/chat just to make sure
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnL_ View Post
    I am beyond bummed about this

You would really think that for the people in the 1-2 month window who are willing to buy an expensive phone, and more importantly, commit to an expensive plan for the next two years, that they would cut us some slack.

I don't even need the full discount -- but I shouldn't have to pay more than double, either.
    You hit on another good argument for granting, say, a 3-month grace window on the full discount.

I would venture to say that a lot of Pre customers will increase their monthly spending with Sprint (I will with an Everything Plan) so you think they'd want that extra revenue coming in to boost monthly revenues.
    My 22 months was up on October 1st. I ended up selling my plan and phone on craigslist to a guy for $125. Went into a Sprint store with him and did a transfer of liability. Before I sold it to him I changed the number on the account to a new one.

Now I'm signing up for a new line of service tomorrow and getting the Pre for $199. I'm risking my number being reassigned to someone else but I find that highly unlikely and I should be able to request my old number back.

Granted, I was on a $30 SERO plan which is a high demand plan, which is why I got $125 for it. You can try just offering up your old phone and plan on Craigslist for free and hope someone takes over the contract for you and then you can sign up as a new customer too.

Just another idea in the pot.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I will be eligible in October too and been calling and going to sprint stores and getting the same answer (only eligible for $75), even though I am out of contract and on month to month plan. Is it possible to buy the phone with the full price now, and get the discounted phone in October and either sell the new one or the old one on ebay?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    from chatting with a csr: I am showing that line - XXXXXXXXXX is eligible as of 6/1/09 - for upgrade discount of - $150 off select devices with a 2 year contract.

maybe ecare listened to my plea?

she mentioned i could get it at best buy, so i should be good to go in getting it at $199 tomorrow. i would go to a sprint store but i think i threw out my 25% accessory coupon! doh
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast