Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I am now a little worried about the Pre's Battery life. I have been told by two people, that one problem with the pre is battery life. Let me say they are saying wonderful things about the Phone. This is not a deal breaker for me as I am committed to getting this phone, I have been with Palm since the old Trei 650 days. I also have always had a Sedio extended Battery and will hope they come out with one soon. I am some what of a power user, (Chattter, Web, etc.)

One advocate said the phone rocks and is great, but Battery is barrely going to make it a day, and plan on a car charger and a touchtone at the office to help make it thru the day. If you use Gmail push as we do on the Treo 755p it drain fast, plus if we use a lot of the Web apps. He said he was starting in the morning at 8am and just gettting thru to 4pm before having to recharge, FWIW. Also we are in a Strong EDVO-A area here in North Austin, Tx Williamson County

I know this guy pretty well and do not think he is giving me BS, because everything else about the phone he say's is excellent as we have heard. I guess I will know more after this weekend.

Can anyone confirm that the Battery life will be an issue? Also what will be our option, I wonder how big a extend Battery Sedio can make for the PRE?
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    I really, really hope I can get through a day with moderate use.
  3. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Well, I'll be getting an extended battery through Seidio anyway & the touchstone. He might be trying to make a sale on accessories (touchstone, car charger, extra battery) when the Pre is released. I'll try it first THEN decide from there. Most reviews I've read said the battery life is pretty solid throughout the day.
    That's hard to confirm by any of us since none of us own a Pre yet. But obviously, depending on your usage, your mileage will vary. I am sure there will be bigger batteries available shortly after launch that won't require a different back. But in general...keep a charger handy! If you have downloaded the Pre's manual, it even says in there it is better to keep the battery topped off instead of draining it and then recharging it.

We will all know more this weekend!
    It lasted longer for me than my Treo 800w but less than my Treo Pro, if that helps any.
    Seidio has a 1350mAh extended battery for the Centro. Thus they have a 1350mAh battery for the Pre!

1150 to 1350 isnt much of an improvement, but it might give an extra 2 hours or so.
    We need to find out how much multitasking, background apps drains battery life. Perhaps Apple's right after all...
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    i asked my friend (who is the advocate) what he loves and what he hates...he simply said i love how easy it is to use...i hate the battery. i said ouch and he said make sure you get a car charger.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    He is not Trying to sale me anything, we go to Church together and are pretty good friends, I asked his honest thoughts. THat said he has only been using it a few days and may not have it set to get the most out of the battery, but he is a big Palm OS guy and currently has a Treo 755p like myself. Like I said he really praised the phone!! Did say that it is totally different than the old Palm OS I have been using for 8 plus years, but a great new OS. He did not say anything about a cheap build quality and did say the key board was ok and After a few days I would be fine with it, but is not as well done as the Treo 755p. I like I said have for the last few years gone from a 650, 700, then 755p so I am use to the old Treo keyboard, never used a Centro. I am somewhat of a power user I have an Sedio 2200mAh battery in my 755p and by th end of the day am at about 25%. I do think Chatter Push (get alot of emails) drains it faster.

This is not a deal breaker but a concern now. I confirmed this batter issue with another Sprint advocate down in the 360 Austin location, but do not know him as well.

Yet from the reviews on here others say Battery life is OK, so I can only hope it will be fine. I do plan on using the Idle Gmail push to my phone could not live with out that, so that is my concern..
    Last edited by tj0827; 06/01/2009 at 09:09 PM.
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northy014 View Post
    We need to find out how much multitasking, background apps drains battery life. Perhaps Apple's right after all...
    Basicly this is exactly what I was told, that if you have a little use here and there , do some Txt and phone calls you will be ok, but knowing we are both alike , using a lot of apps in background ie. Chatter push , music, etc. that this thing will drain fast. He told me the last two days by 4pm he had to recharge, or if he had a battery need to replace.

Please this is not a bash this phone is bad, in fact everything else is great, he raved on, just said quote Palm made a mistake by not making this thing a little thinker with at least the batter of the Treo Pro, I think 1500aHM. For the new Palm custumer this will be great, for us power users this is the one thing that will be the biggest downside to the phone. I plan to get two Touchstone and have one on my desk at work FWIW and get a extend Battery.
    I'm sure it will be annoying for people moving up from more basic phones that last days but no big deal for folks used to smart phones with large touch screens that need to go on the charger every night. If I use the GPS and web a lot on my Touch Pro, I need to charge it in the evening so I don't mind if the Pre is similar. I keep a Micro USB plugged in at my desk at home and at work so it's never an issue to plug it in when I'm sitting down and working.
    If the battery can only last till 4 pm, the PRE is doomed to failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I'm sure it will be annoying for people moving up from more basic phones that last days but no big deal for folks used to smart phones with large touch screens that need to go on the charger every night.
    Yeah this is pretty standard - especially for the multi-tasking variety. As long as you think to charge whenever it's convenient, it's not really a hassle ... too much.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Uhhh..... buy a second battery?

Obvious, since Palm was so nice to include a REMOVABLE BATTERY!!!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I'm sure it will be annoying for people moving up from more basic phones that last days but no big deal for folks used to smart phones with large touch screens that need to go on the charger every night. If I use the GPS and web a lot on my Touch Pro, I need to charge it in the evening so I don't mind if the Pre is similar. I keep a Micro USB plugged in at my desk at home and at work so it's never an issue to plug it in when I'm sitting down and working.
    I learned this when I got my blackberry curve last year. There are also ways on my blackberry I could adjust how I used it to extend battery life (turning screen brightness down, using the standby feature). I hope the pre has some options to help with battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Uhhh..... buy a second battery?

Obvious, since Palm was so nice to include a REMOVABLE BATTERY!!!
    I don't think many people are going to like that option unless they are expecting to get more than a full day out of the phone before charging. For me, a full day is until at least 8-9pm, but on days when I'll work, it'll sit on charge at the desk in the office anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    If the battery can only last till 4 pm, the PRE is doomed to failure.
    cough....G1....cough.
    it cant be worst than the iphone 3G... mine wont even last a day when I text a lot, ill admit though it charges REALLY fast
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Seidio has a 1350mAh extended battery for the Centro. Thus they have a 1350mAh battery for the Pre!
    Do we know this to be true? I've read where it's been said that the Pre uses the 'same battery as the Centro', but is it REALLY the same part, or do they just mean it's the same capacity (1150 mAh)? And is it precisely the same dimensions as the stock Centro battery? My Seidio extended battery for the 755p fits inside my phone OK, but the battery cover is quite snug - the Seidio is just a little bit larger than OEM. If their 1350 mAh Centro battery is also just a little bit bigger than OEM, that might cause a prob with the Pre, even if it doesn't cause trouble for the Centro (clearances inside the case could be different).

On the one hand, it seems unlikely to me that a brand new phone would use the EXACT same battery as a several-year-old phone, but on the other hand, stranger things have happened....

rotello
    Last edited by rotello; 06/01/2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Clarity & punctuation
    Quote Originally Posted by rotello View Post
    Do we know this to be true? I've read where it's been said that the Pre uses the 'same battery as the Centro', but is it REALLY the same part, or do they just mean it's the same capacity (1150 mAh)? And is it precisely the same dimensions as the stock Centro battery? My Seidio extended battery for the 755p fits inside my phone OK, but the battery cover is quite snug - the Seidio is just a little bit larger than OEM. If their 1350 mAh Centro battery is also just a little bit bigger than OEM, that might cause a prob with the Pre, even if it doesn't cause trouble for the Centro (clearances inside the case could be different).

On the one hand, it seems unlikely to me that a brand new phone would use the EXACT same battery as a several-year-old phone, but on the other hand, stranger things have happened....

rotello
    Same or not, I am sure Seidio will have a battery specifically for the Pre soon after release.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast