Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    They mention is one of the reviews that there is a bug with AIM IM client that's causing battery problem. Will be fixed in future update.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    My big questions is can I still use my Google IDLE Push email I currently use in Chatter on my Treo 755p and make it thru a Day?

Are people Saying battery life is OK as long as use do not push Gmail to the PRe? If so that is a bummer for me I love my Chatter Gmail push, and will find it hard to give that up!
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    So with all the reviews hitting now what is the average verdict on PRE Battery life, is it really a big problem?
    As I think I have said before - it will depend on your use and expectations. Really, I don't think it will be much different from most smartphones on the market now (with the exception of Blackberry).
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    My big questions is can I still use my Google IDLE Push email I currently use in Chatter on my Treo 755p and make it thru a Day?
    One of the reviews said that, ironically, having email pushed to the phone on a periodic basis was a much bigger drain on battery than having it pushed on a per-email basis -- if I read it right. I've read so many reviews now, I don't know where I saw that. Do you mind getting lots of email interruptions?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    One of the reviews said that, ironically, having email pushed to the phone on a periodic basis was a much bigger drain on battery than having it pushed on a per-email basis -- if I read it right. I've read so many reviews now, I don't know where I saw that. Do you mind getting lots of email interruptions?
    Think this will require some testing - I have read this before with other phones. Use "As email arrives" or an interval? Not much difference between true push and 15 minutes, but it also depends on how many emails you typically get. Was not a big difference on my Q9c, but I do see a difference in using push vs. 15 minute intervals on my Touch Pro. YMMV.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Push with IMAP Idle generally uses less battery because even though you're keeping the connection on and idle, it's not actively checking for email every 5 minutes or 15 minutes or whatever, but only when you get email. So it'll depend a little bit on the volume of messages you get.
    From the MSNBC review - It turns out there's a bug that drains the battery if your Google instant-messaging account is connected to your AOL Instant Messenger account. Palm says it will fix that. When I logged Google out of AIM, I got much longer life.
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    From the MSNBC review - It turns out there's a bug that drains the battery if your Google instant-messaging account is connected to your AOL Instant Messenger account. Palm says it will fix that. When I logged Google out of AIM, I got much longer life.
    The MSNBC review is just a repost of the AP review.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Dieter's review answers our question about using Centro batteries in the Pre:

Another quick note on the battery - you'll note that it's identical in size, shape, and capacity as the Centro battery. Palm, however, doesn't recommend you use a Centro battery in the Palm Pre, officially they say "There are important electrical and mechanical differences that mean that you can't use a Centro battery in Pre."
    "There are important financial differences for us that mean we dont want you to use the Centro battery in Pre."
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    "There are important financial differences for us that mean we dont want you to use the Centro battery in Pre."

Ha....exactly.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I find your take more believable than creating an entirely new battery with the same form factor as an existing battery, tempting users to break their phones with existing batteries.

I suspect the engineers did the right thing and the marketing types are trying to redo things their way.
  13. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    i have 1 exchange and 1 gmail email account that is on push, and i get about 4 emails an hour that i respond to.
    Thanks for this. I guess I’ll have to wait and see.
    As a professional, I cannot use a phone with a battery life of 1/2 to 3/4 of a day. Period. The reviews are universally trashing the battery life while praising the Pre otherwise. So sorry, but no Pre for me.
    -- Josh
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    keep in mind that those who are 'testing' the phone are running everything they can simultaneously which in return will kill a battery much faster. Do you plan on sitting there hours using bluetooth, web, wifi, music, etc at the same time?

R-
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I can tell you guys that the centro battery will technically work for the Pre, but the problem is the tabs on the centro battery that hold it in are slightly bigger than the Pre's battery, so they need to be filed down slightly so that you don't break your Pre forcing it in and out.
    I bet this battery will be fine for one day, and everyone will charge overnight. With a charger like the touchstone, i ain't complainin'!
    I don't see the problem in just getting a spare battery if one doesn't get you through some days. That's why "replaceable battery" is a pro for this phone compare to the iPhone.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/05/2009 at 12:03 AM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    This may be a stupid question, but...

For the replaceable battery for my Instinct, they also gave a "charging cradle" thing where I can charge it independently of my phone.

I've never bought a spare battery for any other phone I've owned, so how does it work? How are you guys making sure the spare is charged while the main one is in or vice versa? Is there a cradle thing you have to buy?
  20. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but...

For the replaceable battery for my Instinct, they also gave a "charging cradle" thing where I can charge it independently of my phone.

I've never bought a spare battery for any other phone I've owned, so how does it work? How are you guys making sure the spare is charged while the main one is in or vice versa? Is there a cradle thing you have to buy?
    Yea, I think they sell charging cradles in the Precentral store. They also sell them at Seidio.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456