Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    today I was visiting a friend of mine who works for Sprint. she was logged into a corp intranet site and I was playing around seeing what info they had on the Pre and I pulled up a spec page that showed the talk time as 2.5hrs.!!! It also shows standby time as 3 days and weight 4.4oz.
    The "reviews" seem pretty positive
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The picture in this PreCentral blog entry suggests that using the Touchstone requires using a custom backpiece, which further suggests that if you get an oversized aftermarket battery, you likely won't be able to use it with the Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Just tonight talked to my friend who did some test today to confirm Battery. He is in an EDVO-A area good with good recepition. He turned off the IDLE Gmail push and started the phones day at 7:30am- with moderate to heavy use on Web, calls and texting by 4:30pm was less than 15% left. Told me it will need some extended battery or must be ready to charge it mid day. He has talked to a few other Pre Advocates in Austin, and they all have said that the battery life is the one downside to this phone. Everything else is Great!! Loves the Phone! but Battery life is not good.....
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    Just tonight talked to my friend who did some test today to confirm Battery. He is in an EDVO-A area good with good recepition. He turned off the IDLE Gmail push and started the phones day at 7:30am- with moderate to heavy use on Web, calls and texting by 4:30pm was less than 15% left. Told me it will need some extended battery or must be ready to charge it mid day. He has talked to a few other Pre Advocates in Austin, and they all have said that the battery life is the one downside to this phone. Everything else is Great!! Loves the Phone! but Battery life is not good.....
    They really ARE competing with the iPhone....
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    [...] started the phones day at 7:30am- with moderate to heavy use on Web, calls and texting by 4:30pm was less than 15% left. [...]
    Thanks for the great info! Can you clarify "moderate to heavy use"? I don't know how to compare your friend's usage test to my typical usage. Thx!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Last time I had a phone that didn't last through the day, I got rid of it. I don't think the Touchstone is going to work for me. That's like having a wireless phone for your landline -- you keep having to put it back in the same place to charge. Only with a landline, you can have a phone within reach in several rooms. There will be only one Pre in the house.

I'm having second thoughts. I may have to wait for a third party to provide a larger battery. =(
  8. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskk View Post
    today I was visiting a friend of mine who works for Sprint. she was logged into a corp intranet site and I was playing around seeing what info they had on the Pre and I pulled up a spec page that showed the talk time as 2.5hrs.!!! It also shows standby time as 3 days and weight 4.4oz.

That could be the true talk time – as tested by Sprint engineers before they got figures from Palm. I’ve seen a few Smartphones with true talk times of about 2.5hrs. I’d be really surprised if that number ever made it into customer facing literature.

Thanks for asking your friend to test this. This really doesn’t bode well for the battery life.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    For me, with moderate use, I have around 30%-40% battery life left at 10:00 pm when I take the phone off the charger at 7:00am. Moderate usage for me is doing email around 4 times an hour, two hours of web browsing, an hour of pandora, 30 minutes of phone calls, some text messaging, and taking some pictures with the camera.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Thanks for the great info! Can you clarify "moderate to heavy use"? I don't know how to compare your friend's usage test to my typical usage. Thx!
    Well Yesterday I asked him, to try and do a real test on hoe long the Battery lasted by using it throught the day for email, Txt phone, and lots of Web, trying to see what the pre really got in my words a real day's use. What he told me tonight was more the results of the trial, I did not have time to talk to much more, he said it gave it a good days use and told me the results, did say he did not use the IDLE Email. I will try and fiure out more detail what that means. It could be he was on the Web three hours and that did it, I just don't know.

He is a current Palm user 755p, and I would think we use the same kind of use, Chatter, phone txt, PIM, etc.

I will try and talk to him later.

I will say this after searching some threads, that battery issue does not seem to be consistant , as others have claimed that the battery is fine for the PRE, so who knows
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    For me, with moderate use, I have around 30%-40% battery life left at 10:00 pm when I take the phone off the charger at 7:00am. Moderate usage for me is doing email around 4 times an hour, two hours of web browsing, an hour of pandora, 30 minutes of phone calls, some text messaging, and taking some pictures with the camera.
    WEll for me I have a 755p, with a 2200Ahm Sedio extended battery by the end of the day from &am to now 11:11pm it is at 20%. I get a lot of Gmail pushed using chatter. I do some txt's, about 1hour of calls, listen to Pocket tunes going thru paper work at the office, search and check the web a few times during the day( face book etc., and use Express for info all the timeand use my Treo for lots of PIM. rarely take a photo. My take is why I want the PRE is it will make all that much easier and a better experience and thus I think I will use it more than I already do with my 755p. Therefore if anything I will have more use than I have now, because it will be easier, a more pleasant UI and the synergy will me I will use the device more. If that is the case the battery life will be critical. I really hope that because of a small battery I am not forced to give up my Idle-Push Gmail, that is on the pre and I use now with chatter, for me that would be a bummer...
  12. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post

Modular, when you say doing email around 4 times an hour do you mean downloading and checking it 4 times or do you use IMAP IDLE push email or Exchange ActiveSync push?
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Good Question, The other Question has anyone used the pre with IDLE Push all day and seen how it effects the battery? I just trying to get a better confirmation on battery life.
    Last edited by tj0827; 06/03/2009 at 01:42 PM.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Well, I'll be getting an extended battery through Seidio anyway & the touchstone. He might be trying to make a sale on accessories (touchstone, car charger, extra battery) when the Pre is released. I'll try it first THEN decide from there. Most reviews I've read said the battery life is pretty solid throughout the day.
    yes extended battery is a must
    Googd Question, The other Question has anyone used the pre with IDLE Push all day and seen how it effects the battery? I just trying to get a better confirmation on battery life.
    IDLE Push all day is going to run anything with a standard battery down - except for a BB device. I have my Touch Pro set to 15 minutes during peak and if I make 60+ minutes of calls, she'll be dead by 3-4:00PM. Think you said above that you have a 2200 battery on your current phone. You can plan on about 1/2 the life with the Pre, IMHO. Just be preparded to getting used to plugging it in 1/2 through the day. This is why I think the Touchstone is an excellent addition to the Pre from a usability standpoint.

BTW - think we are practically neighbors - I live outside of RR.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Seidio has a 1350mAh extended battery for the Centro. Thus they have a 1350mAh battery for the Pre!

1150 to 1350 isnt much of an improvement, but it might give an extra 2 hours or so.
    good one bryanharig,
    I hope they bump it to 1500 mAh - 1600mAh with the same form factor.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    Modular, when you say doing email around 4 times an hour do you mean downloading and checking it 4 times or do you use IMAP IDLE push email or Exchange ActiveSync push?
    i have 1 exchange and 1 gmail email account that is on push, and i get about 4 emails an hour that i respond to.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Palm is not counting on the Pre either - it is counting on WebOS.

I don't think the majority, or really even a significant percentage of people interested in the Pre will choose not to get one if they are not available day of launch.
    well said , its the software stupid !!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    good one bryanharig,
    I hope they bump it to 1500 mAh - 1600mAh with the same form factor.
    As far as I know - or have seen - Seidio can get 10-15% extra in the same form factor. 1500 would be a 25% bump. I am not an expert on battery technologies but I think they would have done that already if it was possible. Or at least possible in an economical fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    I doubt it. I had a demo pre in my hand today and its hard to believe they can even fit the standard 1150ohm battery in there. The phone is in two pieces and each piece is extremely thin. Also taking the phone back off to be able to replace the battery looks really complicated as well. It looks like the back is one piece so you will have to open the phone in half just to get to the battery. I'm sure this will be answered shortly with a good solution for all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    As far as I know - or have seen - Seidio can get 10-15% extra in the same form factor. 1500 would be a 25% bump. I am not an expert on battery technologies but I think they would have done that already if it was possible. Or at least possible in an economical fashion.
    Sedio makes a 1350mAh battery in the same form factor as the Centro 690/Treo 800 W 1150mAh battery.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast