Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    not exactly the run away success they were predicting either.
    Sir_mycroft already beat me to it, but who predicted "run away success" and how do you define that? The only "run away success" for Palm to enjoy in the near future is continued existence and debt reduction. If every Pre made for the next year sold as soon as it hit a store shelf, it still wouldn't make them flush with cash and marketshare.

Those are long term goals that will take time and several devices across several carriers to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    The G1 sold over a million phones. There are plans for many new Android Phones in the works. Android has been ported over to many different divices, including digital picture frames. I think Palm will be happy to sell a million phones, and have their OS carry on as sucessfully as Android has.

The bottom line is, as with many of the Pre's short commings, there is a fix for the battery too, that is adaptable to the individual user depending on thier needs. It is good to have choices available to the consumer.
    I will attempt to find some of the original documentation I received from my Tmobile Sales rep when the G1 was launched. Their predictions were far greater than 1 million phones and 1 device.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sir_mycroft already beat me to it, but who predicted "run away success" and how do you define that? The only "run away success" for Palm to enjoy in the near future is continued existence and debt reduction. If every Pre made for the next year sold as soon as it hit a store shelf, it still wouldn't make them flush with cash and marketshare.

Those are long term goals that will take time and several devices across several carriers to achieve.
    Google was not relying on the G1 to save their company.

If Palm can only produce 150,000 units but manages to sell them all, is this a success?

Better question, if Palm sold out their initial weekend of lets say a few hundred thousand units, but could have sold triple that number if they had the proper inventory in place, is this a successful launch?
    Umm maybe Im a little off here....but doesnt the PRE charge thru mini-USB?? Now im not sure if it will still charge when not in "USB Mode"(Which I hope so, it be ridiculous if it didnt)....Ive found its relatively easy w/ my Touch to just plug it into my laptop(Or desktop if you have) at work later in the day to make sure I have a full charge.

And I have a car charger for when im on the road if I need extra charge. Majority of these phones nowadays are not built for long lasting battery life....specially by going by how much usage you are putting it thru. Ive found it easy to just adapt to the battery life....charging when I know I have a chance too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Just get another battery. My 800w uses the same battery and those things are so tiny that 2 fit in my wallet in the same space it takes to hold 4 credit cards. I keep them in my wallet all the time and when I stay at my cabin or go on short trips, I dont even bring a charger.

Um, I seriously hope this is not Palms recommended solution.

If Palm can only produce 150,000 units but manages to sell them all, is this a success?

Better question, if Palm sold out their initial weekend of lets say a few hundred thousand units, but could have sold triple that number if they had the proper inventory in place, is this a successful launch?
    Palm is not counting on the Pre either - it is counting on WebOS.

I don't think the majority, or really even a significant percentage of people interested in the Pre will choose not to get one if they are not available day of launch.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)

This is actually a GREAT question, and I agree with your underlying point.

But for whatever reason - parts problems, cash problems, something else, or all of the above - they have a more limited inventory than is ideal. But this is a marathon, not a (no pun intended) sprint. No amount of Pre phones sold would help Palm if WebOS doesn't take take off in other form factors and carriers. That's the only thing that can save the company. A successful Pre launch is only the first step.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This is actually a GREAT question, and I agree with your underlying point.

But for whatever reason - parts problems, cash problems, something else, or all of the above - they have a more limited inventory than is ideal. But this is a marathon, not a (no pun intended) sprint. No amount of Pre phones sold would help Palm if WebOS doesn't take take off in other form factors and carriers. That's the only thing that can save the company. A successful Pre launch is only the first step.

good point. But I still think launch weekend is the most important few days in Palms history. If the launch goes poorly, the Press will proclaim the death of Palm.
    good point. But I still think launch weekend is the most important few days in Palms history. If the launch goes poorly, the Press will proclaim the death of Palm.
    The good thing about that is that there are no verified numbers about how much stock Palm was able to make available for launch weekend. Only that what's on hand will likely sell out instantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Umm maybe Im a little off here....but doesnt the PRE charge thru mini-USB?? Now im not sure if it will still charge when not in "USB Mode"(Which I hope so, it be ridiculous if it didnt)....Ive found its relatively easy w/ my Touch to just plug it into my laptop(Or desktop if you have) at work later in the day to make sure I have a full charge.

And I have a car charger for when im on the road if I need extra charge. Majority of these phones nowadays are not built for long lasting battery life....specially by going by how much usage you are putting it thru. Ive found it easy to just adapt to the battery life....charging when I know I have a chance too.
    When you plug in a mini-USB cable, you get a menu. One of the choice is to "Just Charge" which allows you to continue to work/receive calls. It's only when it's being used as an external drive that it prevents you from calling/browsing.
    MICRO-usb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    MICRO-usb.
    whoops! You're right. I stand corrected. Sorry - just got out of bed and I'm still a bit groggy.
    Nbd... just wanted to make sure people didn't run out grabbing mini-plugs for cheap when they won't work.

As I mentioned a few pages back, the few days I used the Pre, it lasted the day. Longer than my 800w, but DEF shorter than my Treo Pro. I can see using it extensively for a few hours and having a huge drain on it be an issue for some, but for most, throwing it on the car or usb charger for about 30 minutes or so, brings up the charge by a GOOD amount (>30%).
    Back to the original point of this thread...one battery in one Pre in one location is barely making it through the day.

The things we don't know...
    What kind of usage...
    How long has he had the Pre and how many times has the battery been charged? (Seems to me that I read it takes a number of charges to get full charge)
    Perhaps he has a bad battery to start with?
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    One question if battery life is a problem, does anyone know if the extend Battery for the Centro from Sedio will work on the pre?
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    1150 mAH is a pretty small battery. Granted, it might be kind of industry standard for a phone, but I'd have to say this bugger takes just a biitt more processor power, not to mention the beautiful screen that probably eats through batteries like nobody's binness.
    Just depends how much you appreciate this little monster. I have sported a Treo since day 1 and NEVER travel without a charger and another FULLY CHARGED battery. If you want a Pre and use it to the max be prepared!!!! A small price to pay for such an apparently amazing device. Besides the marketplace will come out with a better battery if it deemed necessary.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    One question if battery life is a problem, does anyone know if the extend Battery for the Centro from Sedio will work on the pre?
    I doubt it. I had a demo pre in my hand today and its hard to believe they can even fit the standard 1150ohm battery in there. The phone is in two pieces and each piece is extremely thin. Also taking the phone back off to be able to replace the battery looks really complicated as well. It looks like the back is one piece so you will have to open the phone in half just to get to the battery. I'm sure this will be answered shortly with a good solution for all.
    600P, 700P, Current 800W
    Daughter Centro
    http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com...elief-minutes/ The ultimate smartphone!!!!!!
    Hopefully the battery and door are designed in a way that they will allow extended aftermarket batteries that may add thickness. Many wouldn't go for that but I would for double the capacity. I've done it with most phones of the past that allowed it.

If you don't want that don't do it but I hope it's designed to allow for it.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    I doubt it. I had a demo pre in my hand today and its hard to believe they can even fit the standard 1150ohm battery in there. The phone is in two pieces and each piece is extremely thin. Also taking the phone back off to be able to replace the battery looks really complicated as well. It looks like the back is one piece so you will have to open the phone in half just to get to the battery. I'm sure this will be answered shortly with a good solution for all.
    I'm certain that the 2250mAh which requires a different cover for the Centro won't work. However, I think that the 1350mAh is the same size as the 1150mAh OEM battery, so it should work. If anyone gives it a try, let us know!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast