Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Not really "new" news, but disappointing to actually read it. I was hoping for something a little better than the "norm". I have not had a smartphone with a "standard" battery last through the day for me if I make any phone calls. No calls (like a Sunday for example) and no problem. But if you make a few calls and you pull email on a schedule of under 60 minutes, you are typically gonna have to recharge before your day ends. The Moto Q9c w/the hump back did well, but I just can't imagine having a hump on the Pre. I am living with poor battery life now on my Touch Pro. Blackberry is really the only smartphone that seems to have it figured out - Apple and Android are no better.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    I have Seido's 2600 mAH battery for the Centro/800w...Just need their battery cover for the PRE....I hope that they make it so we can take advantage of Touchstone!!

SEIDO....WHERE ARE YOU?????

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I don't think many people are going to like that option unless they are expecting to get more than a full day out of the phone before charging. For me, a full day is until at least 8-9pm, but on days when I'll work, it'll sit on charge at the desk in the office anyway.
    You can't be serious? I always carry a second battery for my Blackberry. Why? Just in case I'm out and spend too much time on my phone.

Anyone who uses their phone for a business phone will spend the twenty bucks. Then it's not even a concern. Pop the battery in. Done..
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    cough....G1....cough.
    Exactly why I think the G1 is unusable. I carried one for two weeks. Nice OS, that was completely ruined by the battery life.
    well as long as the battery is as good as on the centro I'll be happy
  6. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post

One advocate said the phone rocks and is great, but Battery is barrely going to make it a day, and plan on a car charger and a touchtone at the office to help make it thru the day. If you use Gmail push as we do on the Treo 755p it drain fast, plus if we use a lot of the Web apps. He said he was starting in the morning at 8am and just gettting thru to 4pm before having to recharge, FWIW. Also we are in a Strong EDVO-A area here in North Austin, Tx Williamson County
    Thanks for this.

Any information on how the phone performs using Exchange ActiveSync? I have several accounts on my phone with EAS emails being delivered as they arrive and Yahoo mail being delivered every 15 minutes via standard IMAP.

From experience IMAP IDLE kills batteries but if the phone can’t last from first thing in the morning on Day 1 through to the evening of Day 2 while doing EAS push and IMAP every 15min following some - tuning backlight brightness/timeouts, etc, etc, then that is a problem.

My current phone is mostly used for web browsing (major), as an RSS reader (major), for email (major), Facebook (major - via web and app), Skype (usually just chat), all over HSDPA plus some texting. Funnily enough making phone calls tends to kill the batteries the fastest.

I think that putting a 1150mAh battery in the Pre was a mistake. These days 1500mAh is standard for a Smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Exactly why I think the G1 is unusable. I carried one for two weeks. Nice OS, that was completely ruined by the battery life.
    Not exactly "doomed to failure" tho...
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    yes, we talked about why did palm not use the 1500ahm battery that the treo pro uses. My guess is that the new Apple guys at palm were willing to give up battery life to keep a thin wow factor for the phone to help it sell. I think with the slider using a 1500ahm battery would have added some thickness, and right now they figured this had to be a wow factor to make sure it was a hit. This is also why there is no micro sd slot IMO, small battery no SD slot keeps it thin and gives it that great form exporence founf when holding it in the hand, this will help sell the PRE, a wow small factor cool smart phone that we all crave to own.
    Last edited by tj0827; 06/02/2009 at 12:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    My fear to get that cool form factor Palm has had to give up a few things, ie SD slot and also it sounds like battery life.

I wonder if Palm would have went with a 3.3 in Screen instead of 3.1 , added a Micro SD slot and a 1500Ahm battery how much extra size would the PRE really been? Going this route would also have made the keypad a little bigger I would think also. The down side I guess would be a heavier, large phone about the size of a Treo 755p.
    Last edited by tj0827; 06/02/2009 at 12:55 AM.
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
  10. Duo
    yes, we talked about why did palm not use the 1500ahm battery that the treo pro uses. My guess is that the new Apple guys at palm were willing to give up battery life to keep a thin wow factor for the phone to help it sell. I think with the slider using a 1500ahm battery would have added some thickness, and right now they figured this had to be a wow factor to make sure it was a hit. This is also why there is no micro sd slot IMO, small battery no SD slot keeps it thin and gives it that great form exporence founf when holding it in the hand, this will help sell the PRE, a wow small factor cool smart phone that we all crave to own.

Those One-Button Mousers!!!

Check out what RIM have done here with the Battery and microSD card (picture and video):

crackberry.com/blackberry-onyx-review

I don’t think I’ve seen the insides of the Palm but I think that RIM did a great job squeezing what they needed to into the Onyx.

Anyone got any pics of the Pre with the back cover off?

My fear to get that cool form factor Palm has had to give up a few things, ie SD slot and also it sounds like battery life.

I wonder if Palm would have went with a 3.3 in Screen instead of 3.1 , added a Micro SD slot and a 1500Ahm battery how much extra size would the PRE really been? Going this route would also have made the keypad a little bigger I would think also. The down side I guess would be a heavier, large phone about the size of a Treo 755p.

I think that the lack of a microSD card slot and the low capacity battery will come back to bite Palm in the end. If the battery life is poor this will be highlighted in every review (especially since keeping multiple applications running live will eat battery life) and a microSD slot would have allowed Palm to compete with the iPhone 4GB, 8Gb, 16GB, 32GB or whatever. This could turn out to have been a pretty short-sighted decision.

I would have loved a bigger screen too. 3.3” would have been nice but 3.5” would have been wonderful (too big, I know) and it would have allowed them to add in the card slot and the bigger battery. Yes it would have been heavier but that would probably have put an end to the “feels cheap” comments that seem to abound and as you say allowed for a larger keyboard.

I’d also have liked to have seen a lot more memory than 256MB. If one of you main selling points is multi-tasking giving the device a lot more memory would have been beneficial – for the functioning of the device and as a “WOW!” factor for reviewers.

Maybe we can look forward to beefier devices if the Pre is a success and the company gets back on it feet.
    This seriously needs more funding, research, and development. It's taking too damn long to bring this to the market:

Nanowire battery can hold 10 times the charge of existing lithium-ion battery
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Uhhh..... buy a second battery?

Obvious, since Palm was so nice to include a REMOVABLE BATTERY!!!
    Wow, Sprint must really knows how stupid it's clientele are. I can see the design meetings:

Hey Bob, everything looks good, but lets shave .003 ounces off the weight by using a battery that is too small.

Great idea, then people can carry a *second* battery! It's way more convenient to have 2 batteries which weigh more than one of the correct size...

We'll offset the design flaw by spinning the removable battery as a feature!
    Why is everyone set on judging a phone only a handful have used or even seen? Don't make any calls on battery life until you use it - for more than 2 weeks. Anyone with one now is likely continuously using it with the device being on. And for the nimbers such as battery mah or MB of RAM - that's all moot right now since we don't really have a solid grasp on how exactly the OS will use the resources it has.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Do we know this to be true? I've read where it's been said that the Pre uses the 'same battery as the Centro', but is it REALLY the same part, or do they just mean it's the same capacity (1150 mAh)? And is it precisely the same dimensions as the stock Centro battery? My Seidio extended battery for the 755p fits inside my phone OK, but the battery cover is quite snug - the Seidio is just a little bit larger than OEM. If their 1350 mAh Centro battery is also just a little bit bigger than OEM, that might cause a prob with the Pre, even if it doesn't cause trouble for the Centro (clearances inside the case could be different).
    I've heard it is the same battery but rather than the stock 1150 ohm it is 1200 ohm. Also being a different OS it will have different power requirements. Some Apps have different power requirements than others I know with my 800w if I use Google maps or the built in navigation I will crush my battery especially if I don't turn it off completely. The good thing about that though is you are usually driving your own car and have a car charger with you. Would never use these apps if I was riding with someone else and didn't have access to my car charger. It would definitely kill my battery for the day.
    600P, 700P, Current 800W
    Daughter Centro
    http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com...elief-minutes/ The ultimate smartphone!!!!!!
    I remember reading a thread by a user who used the pre for a couple days and he noted that he had like 6 applications open at the same time with 4 of them being on espn where they refreshed every 15 min. He let that run for 1 1/2 and it only used like 6 percent of the battery. Coming from the treo 800w that is HUGE (if its true).

Everyone is going to have thier own opinion on how long the batter should last and what not...but to me...if it last as long as my 800w i dont see the big deal.
    Hopefully the battery lasts a day, if it's dying at 3pm then it's a huge problem. "Buy a second battery" isn't good enough, it should last a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by rotello View Post

On the one hand, it seems unlikely to me that a brand new phone would use the EXACT same battery as a several-year-old phone, but on the other hand, stranger things have happened....

rotello
    i agree with you on that thought and i was thinking it may be smart since battery technology has not changed much and it will help keep cost to a minimum.

though i do frequent gizmag.com a lot (they keep up on upcoming technologies (its how i found out about the pre)) and there are some companies out there ready to produce some nanotechnology batteries that will last for days, on smart phones, with out charge. and when you do need to charge them it takes minutes as opposed to hours.

and on the GPS thing, the battery in my 6800 will drain in an hour or a little more if i keep in on. i am used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not exactly "doomed to failure" tho...
    not exactly the run away success they were predicting either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    not exactly the run away success they were predicting either.
    The G1 sold over a million phones. There are plans for many new Android Phones in the works. Android has been ported over to many different divices, including digital picture frames. I think Palm will be happy to sell a million phones, and have their OS carry on as sucessfully as Android has.

The bottom line is, as with many of the Pre's short commings, there is a fix for the battery too, that is adaptable to the individual user depending on thier needs. It is good to have choices available to the consumer.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Just get another battery. My 800w uses the same battery and those things are so tiny that 2 fit in my wallet in the same space it takes to hold 4 credit cards. I keep them in my wallet all the time and when I stay at my cabin or go on short trips, I dont even bring a charger.

Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast