Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Instead of being gouged for $7 a month for Sprint insurance, get it from SquareTrade.
    Normally, their cell phone coverage maxes out at $399, which leaves you paying $150 extra if you need a new Pre. But because this is so much more than just a cell phone, there is another (and cheaper) way to get full coverage:

1) Go to Squaretrade's website, and click on get a quote
    2) Select miscellaneous, then Other electronics
    3) Enter $549 for purchase price, and new condition
    4) go to checkout- The Price should be like $75 for 3 years of coverage (over 3X cheaper than Sprint)
    5) add the Accidental Damage protection for $30 (optional, but recommended)
    6) add ALWAYS10OFF to the coupon code box for 10% off your order!

Get three years of hassle-free coverage for $94.49!! ($2.64 a month)

7) send me a thank you note. A real one that you hand write and mail. It's amazing how rare they are these days.

If you break your phone or dropped it in water (happened to me twice on my current phone), there's a $50 deductible. If its normal wear and tear, its like an extended manufacturers warranty and there's no deductible. There's also a quick turnaround so you won't be without it for long. I love the Square Trade!
    Here's the link for proof:
    Last edited by kenton86; 06/01/2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added claim instructions
  2.    #2  
    post 9 of 10 for links....
  3.    #3  
    post 10 of 10 for links
    one more
    Good find
    "..." at the triple posts just for spamming, you could've just posted a text link like having http without the "h".

Has anyone used SquareTrade for their cell phone? What is the turnaround time like?
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    3 years worth of coverage?? Who will keep a phone that long?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    "..." at the triple posts just for spamming, you could've just posted a text link like having http without the "h".

Has anyone used SquareTrade for their cell phone? What is the turnaround time like?
    From their site:

We have a unique 5 day service guarantee(1). Your item's repaired or you're paid out within five days, or your service and the warranty are both free.

We often will reimburse you the full item price. This is especially true for most items below $500, or if it's going to take too long or is too expensive to fix.

Working with us is easy. At time of claim, we'll give you a pre-paid UPS shipping label. For high value items like laptops, cameras and GPS, we'll also give you a free shipping box to keep your item safe. Larger items like bigger TVs and major appliances get free in-home service.

It's all in your control. You get email updates at every step, and you can always log on to our site to track your claim.

1. The guarantee only applies to US customers. We will reimburse the full item price OR fix your item and ship it back within 5 business days of receiving it at the depot. For large items with in-home service, a local technician will contact you to schedule service within 5 business days of claim approval. (Repair times for in-home service are not guaranteed since repairs are scheduled by the customer.)
    I've never used them. Actually, I've never used any sort of insurance on my phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    From their site:

I've never used them. Actually, I've never used any sort of insurance on my phones.
    Thanks for the copy and paste Lopez, but I don't trust a company's own words, I've seen several reviews online about horrible experiences such as zero communication from Squaretrade. I'd like to know some personal experience remarks from fellow members of Treo/Precentral on their experiences.

Also some reviews say they will generally reimburse you for the product instead of replace it, but after that reimbursement, do you have to start a whole new plan for the new phone you buy with the reimbursed money?
    Thanks for the copy and paste Lopez, but I don't trust a company's own words, I've seen several reviews online about horrible experiences such as zero communication from Squaretrade. I'd like to know some personal experience remarks from fellow members of Treo/Precentral on their experiences.

Also some reviews say they will generally reimburse you for the product instead of replace it, but after that reimbursement, do you have to start a whole new plan for the new phone you buy with the reimbursed money?
    If you lose your phone or you have to buy a new, your not going to be required to sign up for a whole new plan or contract.
  11.    #12  

Yea but I personally think the 10 post rule to link is dumb, so I guess you could say I was sticking it to the man. And it's not like I posted once and then spammed 9 times. Sorry I made you scroll down 5 inches.

I have used Squaretrade for a couple of purchases on woot.com (LOVE Woot) and it's been good for my peace of mind. I'm fairly clumsy, especially with my phone. Between this and Ghost Armor, I feel pretty safe. I realize this isn't for everyone, but for the reckless among us, it's nice.

here's a post from Woot's CEO, who spells out what they are all about after doing serious research into warranty coverage.

Woot : Extended Warranties pt2, Introducing SquareTrade

As far as for 3 year plans- I would have gotten 2 years but they didn't offer it with this type of coverage. It is still cheaper than their 2 year cell phone coverage plan.

Finally, there's a 20% discount code I just found: TWTYOFF
    I've used Squaretrade a few times (both our TVs, BD player, laptops) and I can't say enough good things about them.
    My emails are replied usually within the hour (I sent them during business hours), and when our laptop took a bath (literally) and it was determined a total loss (it was), we got the check for the full insured amount in about 7 days.

I never considered using Squaretrade for a phone but I guess it's nice to have it and if something happens, you can use the money for a newer, better phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    If you lose your phone or you have to buy a new, your not going to be required to sign up for a whole new plan or contract.
    A review on epinions suggests otherwise.

Reimbursement:
    You need to realize that SquareTrade has the option (and they'll do it frequently) of giving you your money back (after you ship them the broken item) minus a small shipping fee for smaller items.

Generally, this is exactly what you want. You item is broken and you want to buy a new one. But, there are exceptions. If you're amazing-deal $400 laptop dies which 2 years worth of your personal data, you may not want your money back - you want your laptop fixed. You'll want to backup all of your personal data before sending it to them because you might not get it back.

In addition realize that if they reimburse you for the item, the remainder of the warranty ends at that time which means you'll need to purchase a new warranty if you purchase a new item. They also don't reimburse tax.

If you purchase accidental insurance (extra cost) and file an accidental claim, there is a $50 deductible.

So, if you buy an iPhone at your AT&T dealer for $400 and pay $20 in tax and $100 for the 3 year warranty with accidental coverage (typically it costs 25% for the warranty + accidental), you've spent $520. If you drop the iPhone a month later, you'll get back $350 ($400 - $50 deductible) and it'll cost you another $520 to buy a new one, so it'll really cost you $170 ($520 - $350).
    hmmmm nice find!!!

another plus for dropping my current SERO (with the $7 SPrint insurance) plan!

$23 dollars more to go! (i.e. $30 SERO vs $60 EDP)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Do you have to prove that your device is working before getting insurance?
    Kyusaku is right, if you get the full refund, your policy is effectively fulfilled and you'd need to get a new one for your new product.
    I think I'll do this. Thanks.
    Good info
    Even though I'm kind of skeptical about this, I might do it. I've have TEP since I got my Treo 700wx and never had to use my insurance, I've never broken my previous phones either.

If I have to replace the device within a year I might just go back to TEP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast