Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I'm sure some others out there were thinking the same way. I thought I should upgrade my monthly plan to an Everything Data plan NOW, just to make things go smoother, faster on Saturday.

At the Sprint store I visited today, they told me it would be better to let them do it in-store on Saturday to avoid delays. I didn't completely understand, but they said it had something to do with the billing cycle.

just thought I'd mention this...
    that shouldn't have anything to do w/ anything... in that case only people whom pay their bill around the 6th would be allowed to purchase a phone...
    I think the problem might be that if you change your plan now, it might not look like it's changed in their system yet on the 6th. And that could cause a delay in getting your PREcious. If you do the upgrade there, then they know that you're on the right plan, so no delay.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I changed my plan last week to the 450 Everything Plan for $69.99, changing plans has no effect on upgrade price.
    Jimmie Geddes
    They probably said that so they personally will get credit for selling you a new plan. (I'm just assuming it works that way)
    I was also told by the sales manager of a corporate store that I could change my SERO plan at the store -he didn't really tell me not to change it on my own, though.

I did ask him if he was sure, as I read stores cannot change SERO plans, specially at launch. He said he's changed SERO plans in the store before, as recent as this weekend, with no issue.
    Even if there were any issues to change the plan on Saturday (which he doubted), he could always call in and get the plan changed.

Still, not sure if I should change the plan now, on my own (chat/phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    They probably said that so they personally will get credit for selling you a new plan. (I'm just assuming it works that way)
    Ding ding ding ding!

We have a winner!
    Everyone, just to let you know, you can change your plan at anytime you want, remember sprint will not change your contract status once you change. So if you want to change tomorrow, you can. Be advised if you do change your plan, not only you will be charged a pro ration charge for the remainder of the month but also a month in advance, that is a standard procedure according to sprint cs because you changed your rate in the middle of your billing cycle. That's why cs told you wait till saturday. If you don't believe me look at your receipt or look at your statement online. Also one thing sprint charges a 18.00 upgrade fee to existing customers i am a sprint premier customer and been with sprint way before contracts and color change. Take my word for it you will pay a little more for getting the pre. I am not saying to deter from getting the pre, i am just letting you all know whats about to happen when you go into the stores. My saying to all who reads this. When you change your plan tell the agents make sure that the plan takes affect at the end of your billing cycle so you don't get hit with a higher bill
    FYI, I threatened to close my one line that was out of contract, so they offered a $70.00 credit, which I took. That was two weeks ago. And of course, I still have the $150.00 phone credit on that line.
    Ok, so let me see if I understand.. I am on a family plan, I am switching to the everything data share plan. I am buying one pre from best buy, and one for my wife through my works corporate business partner. If I switch us both to the everything family plan, this will not affect her rebate if after I switch I then buy her phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    Ok, so let me see if I understand.. I am on a family plan, I am switching to the everything data share plan. I am buying one pre from best buy, and one for my wife through my works corporate business partner. If I switch us both to the everything family plan, this will not affect her rebate if after I switch I then buy her phone?
    If you have earned the phone credit ($150.00 after one year if you are a Sprint Premiere customer), you have that credit, period...regardless of what you do to your plan. With Sprint, the PLAN and the PHONE are two separate things. You can change your plan all day long, a hundred times a day and it does NOT mean that you have to extend your CONTRACT for two years NOR does it mean that anything affects your phone credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by torrence.joseph30 View Post
    Everyone, just to let you know, you can change your plan at anytime you want, remember sprint will not change your contract status once you change. So if you want to change tomorrow, you can. Be advised if you do change your plan, not only you will be charged a pro ration charge for the remainder of the month but also a month in advance, that is a standard procedure according to sprint cs because you changed your rate in the middle of your billing cycle. That's why cs told you wait till saturday. If you don't believe me look at your receipt or look at your statement online. Also one thing sprint charges a 18.00 upgrade fee to existing customers i am a sprint premier customer and been with sprint way before contracts and color change. Take my word for it you will pay a little more for getting the pre. I am not saying to deter from getting the pre, i am just letting you all know whats about to happen when you go into the stores. My saying to all who reads this. When you change your plan tell the agents make sure that the plan takes affect at the end of your billing cycle so you don't get hit with a higher bill
    People are changing plans b/c they need it in order to get the PRE. Also you logic is flawed in the waiting for saturday. Everyone has different billing cycles. For myself the cycle ends on the 17th. If i can get my hands on a PRE before the 17th i will be changing my plan as currently it is not an EVERYTHING DATA plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    FYI, I threatened to close my one line that was out of contract, so they offered a $70.00 credit, which I took. That was two weeks ago. And of course, I still have the $150.00 phone credit on that line.
    Did they renew your contract and if so, won't that affect your Pre's purchase price?
    Changing your plan doesn't have anything to do with your contract. It's when you upgrade your phone that they start your contract over. They USED to change your contract for every stupid little thing. Thankfully they don't anymore. I changed my plan last Friday and they guy set it up so it won't start till the 5th which is when my billing cycle starts so I don't have to deal with all the pro-ration.
    Torrence is right. If you change your plan in the middle of a billing cycle, you are charged a pro-rated amount for what you've used, plus they charge you 1 month in advance for the new plan. So, your first bill could be significantly higher than normal, then go back down. In reality, your bill would always be for 'next' months plan. On the flip side, your last month of your contract should have a $0 bill since you've been 1 month ahead.

Bottom line, if your billing cycle is ending before the 6th, change now and have your new plan kick in on that date so there is no prorating.
    Changing your plan doesn't have anything to do with your contract
    How about when you're offered a retentions deal (say, $50 bill credit)? Wouldn't you then be required a contract renewal, provided you agreed to the offer?
    I called CS today and had my SERO 500 switched to the EPRP 500. The rep was great. The Canadian ones rock.
    I checked my account online later, the plan switch was there, and since I am out of contract, that status was still showing the $150 discount.
    My billing date ends on the 11th so hopefully I won't get hit too bad with the prorated stuff.
    Bring on the 6th!