Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I wonder what his sign says.
    Dumber.
    this is a hoax.... i know that store... it's a retailer and not a sprint store and as of last week when i called them they weren't even guaranteed to get any pre's on the release day.....
    Ok so I called a couple stores today after work, and to my surprise got some interesting results ...

Radioshack 1
    Are you guys going to carry the pre on Sat?
    Yes we are getting in a couple units
    Any lists?
    Nope, not even info on pricing if thats your next question
    Is your store getting inquires about the phone?
    If you call 10 people about every hour or so inquires i say yes, its gonna be pretty serious come Sat.

Radioshack 2 (same kind of format question wise)
    I've had like 30 people call in, in the last 5 hours about the phone and we plan to have a line around the corner, especially because we are offering our instant rebate

Bestbuy 1
    Can't tell you anything but this be here early if you really want the thing

Bestbuy 2
    Were you around our store on blackfriday? If so be prepared for lines like that in all seriousness.... its gonna be insane....

Ok so now i am getting nervous, maybe its being in Ny or maybe its that its slowly catching on but i had this gut feeling from the beginning everyone is looking for side stores so to speak for getting this phone because everyone knows the big stores will have major lines ...
    I admit to calling the same store more than once on the same day (forgot to ask a question, trying someone else, etc), but another point to consider is that both these stores are getting very limited inventory.
    Sprint will be getting, on a store-by-store basis, more handsets than anyone and with Telesales/Online out, there could be a significant number of phones out there.

Now, if for some reason Palm got actually less than 150k units at launch, then it could be a serious problem.

I still believe lines won't be anywhere as serious as we think, though it's wise to get there early(ier?).
    If the word is out that Best Buy and Radio Shack will have such limited supplies, it seems illogical that they would have lines. Maybe I'm missing something. If I were a store manager with only 5-10 devices, I'd be out there as soon as I got to work telling people to go home.
    Just got another radioshack on the line and wow was the rep a nice guy! He said as of this moment he hasn't checked the shipment but didnt expect any pre's on release day, but he was going to check again and if he was getting one would call me and let me know he was getting one and would "hold it" for me since i was the only one to call that particular store about the pre thus far.

He also said other things about getting from one sprint sent to me after the release etc etc...

Left my name and number but don't expect to be #1 on a list
    A great backup plan though thats for sure

He also said some tidbit about the store employees trying to get one as well that day ....
    Yeah, he's not holding one for you. They were explicitly told not to do so by Radio Shack corporate.

But sure, as a backup...
    how we know this is not a stunt for this store to get some type of hype.... they told that dude to come out of the stock room and go pose for a picture...... blackfriday aint that serious and i personally know people that live to stand in line for blackfriday.... and by no way is this a bash but sprint cripples a lot of devices so who's willing to w8 5 days in a line for a crippled device... its hurricane season........
    Quote Originally Posted by supervillain View Post
    He also has NO idea how to do it right.

5 Days = 1/4oz marijuana, Cooler (food/beer), Mini Propane Grill, & a tent at the very least. noob.
    Villain it sounds like you know the system. This will be my first time if I go out overnight. Any tips for a newbie in an overnight line?

I was thinking about bringing my laptop, but then I thought I might be an opportunity for a mugging. And then I was thinking that it would probably be better to travel light, so like just take a jacket, phone, wallet and book with a small snack for an overnight stay. Any better suggestions?
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Dumber.
    looks like his sign say's First,

Gizmodo - First Man In Line for Palm Pre Shows Commitment, Mild Insanity - Camping out
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    how we know this is not a stunt for this store to get some type of hype.... they told that dude to come out of the stock room and go pose for a picture......
    Because then you'd have at least 5 people in the photo. One person looks sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Ok so I called a couple stores today after work, and to my surprise got some interesting results ...

Radioshack 1
    Are you guys going to carry the pre on Sat?
    Yes we are getting in a couple units
    Any lists?
    Nope, not even info on pricing if thats your next question
    Is your store getting inquires about the phone?
    If you call 10 people about every hour or so inquires i say yes, its gonna be pretty serious come Sat.

Radioshack 2 (same kind of format question wise)
    I've had like 30 people call in, in the last 5 hours about the phone and we plan to have a line around the corner, especially because we are offering our instant rebate

Bestbuy 1
    Can't tell you anything but this be here early if you really want the thing

Bestbuy 2
    Were you around our store on blackfriday? If so be prepared for lines like that in all seriousness.... its gonna be insane....

Ok so now i am getting nervous, maybe its being in Ny or maybe its that its slowly catching on but i had this gut feeling from the beginning everyone is looking for side stores so to speak for getting this phone because everyone knows the big stores will have major lines ...
    These post are getting ridiculous because no one knows for sure. First your quoting Best Buy's and Radio Shacks which were reported to be getting less stock than Sprint stores. Second your talking to salesman, they will say anything to get you in the store or on a list. My local Best Buy said they were getting some but no clue as to how many and told me hardly anyone had asked about them. So I guess it just depends on were you go.

Honestly I say just wait and see. The problem is no one really knows. I will be up at 6AM because I have to get ready for work any ways. I'd be up on Saturday morning but if I didn't have to be up I'd not worry about it. I bet this is going to be way over blown and most users on these forums will be walking away with a Pre. Just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Yesterday I made some rounds of Sprint stores in my area and I gotta say the mood and vibe at all locations was frakin' disheartening. The energy offline is barely 4% of what it is online and in these forums regarding this release. Stores were empty, Palm Pre displays and materials themselves were just tacky and incomplete. I see why so many subscribers are gone - made me think I should finally leave too.

The 'with it' reps were somewhat excited though and helpful. One store is the only store on the west coast hosting an early premier event on June 5th. Told me to come anyway even though I'm not a premier member. Said my chances are good that I'll get one, but no guarantees. If not, I could enjoy the free booze. Another rep at another store said they're getting 3 times the normal stock for a newly released phone which is good news.
    You know if I didn't think he'd just get arrested or moved off the sidewalk I'd pay a homeless man $50 to stand in line for me and drop by food for him every day. Come on not a bad idea, problem is no way to trust him but I guess I'm not out that much money but again still can't gaurantee the stores would let him sit out there.

To be honest I think it's just sad. I also can't believe these stores allow this. Guess it's free PRPRPR $but$ $still$ $I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $want$ $my$ $customers$ $to$ $see$ $rabid$ $Pre$ $fans$ $sitting$ $out$ $side$.
    If you go to a bestbuy then yeah you better get there early. My BB is getting 4-6 Pre's. But my Corporate store said there getting more than 100 . Big difference.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Just went to a local Srint Corporate store. No they didn't have an advocate, no they wern't trained, no they didn't have any in stock, no they were not sure they were getting them in. Yes they put me on a list to call when they come in and it seemed to be a very short list.
    600P, 700P, Current 800W
    Daughter Centro
    http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com...elief-minutes/ The ultimate smartphone!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    Villain it sounds like you know the system. This will be my first time if I go out overnight. Any tips for a newbie in an overnight line?

I was thinking about bringing my laptop, but then I thought I might be an opportunity for a mugging. And then I was thinking that it would probably be better to travel light, so like just take a jacket, phone, wallet and book with a small snack for an overnight stay. Any better suggestions?
    Only thing i ever camped for was xbox360 (17 hours). Big mistake, cuz PS3 is way better. But if you are only doing 1 night, just bring some time wasters. I dont think it would be worth it to load your car full of crap for a single night. ipod and a book should do you well. Also, def bring some snacks and drinks. boredom = hungry, haha.

PS - DO NOT FORGET A CHAIR!!!!
    Watch someone get seriously injured or worse. It's not Palm's fault for people behaving badly, but part of me still says why release a phone if it's going to so under-supplied? I really doubt the lines will be that long. The instinct was hyped ALOT last year and there were no lines. I think that the Pre will have lines until the 150,000 are sold out. After that, no lines past the first 2 days.

I truly believe that if the Pre still has production problems 1 month later and the new iphone comes out and does not have production problems, then the Pre is still dead meat. I am also worried about people feeling like that Pre is toylike. I think the the Apple products feel like a premium product, and that counts for alot. I feel like this Dell laptop that I'm on, which houses the EXACT same screen as the Macbook pro, doesn't sell very well because the laptop is thicker, uglier, and $650. But it is rugged and performs flawlessly. If the Pre gets labeled as a Dell-like product (good bang for the buck), then that's not the market that the Pre wants. Alot of people want the real thing. If the Pre wants to overtake the iphone, and if it's competing in a lower tier to begin with, then yes they can make money, but they're not going to dethrone the iphone.

You can not tell me that large numbers of people will value the Pre over the iphone and wait until the Pre gets more stock in in the next few months. People will just get the iphone b/c it's purchasable.

No matter what happens, this will be an interesting index case for consulting/mba students to learn from. If the Pre succeeds, it's the formula for taking down a giant. If it fails, it'll be a textbook case for how not to run a company, studied for years to come. I am following this story out of curiosity. I'm not eager to pay $70 for phone service yet. Had the Pre been released 6 months ago, I really think that we'd be talking about a different story.
    Last edited by pufftissue; 06/01/2009 at 03:28 PM.
    If you remember the leaks of the launch date (back before we knew it), there was a Sprint memo talking about training of employees to sell the Pre. This is supposed to start on the 3rd, and continue to the 5th. You can bet that most devices don't get this kind of support. Check out the Launch Lunch memo (google it because I have too few posts to submit links).
    Ladies and gentlemen, this just in! Yes, yes, this is breaking eyewitness news!

The Pasadena, CA Sprint Store has been taken over by giant alien robots! They have informed the city that they will be keeping that store closed til Monday, June 8! The robots, who are calling themselves "Prenautocons (copyright DCA), also revealed that they have the swine flu, the bird flu, crabs and practice SAT/MCAT/LSAT exams waiting for any person who shows up to the store prior to that date.

We repeat: Stay away from the Pasadena Sprint Store until Monday, June 9, 2009!

That is all. We now return this thread to our regular nerdy pursuits
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast