Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so i have an iPhone 3G and I want a Palm Pre but am not sure if it would be worth it to switch. Here's a list of what I think the pros and cons are for my iPhone and the pros and cons for the Pre.

iPhone 3G Pros

- Is GSM so if I switch phones or go overseas I can use it there, it can also be unlocked
    - My pictures, notes, emails, text message conversations are all saved on the iPhone and if I get the new iPhone that info will transfer over (because of iTunes)
    - 3.5” Screen, I don’t want to downgrade to a smaller screen
    - Landscape keyboard and I am used to the onboard keyboard
    - AT&T has good service where I live (Sacramento)
    - Thin (doesn’t bulge when in my pocket)
    - Has an Alarm, I use it a lot
    - Have a family plan on AT&T and get a discount, $130 total a month for 2 lines and 2 iPhones with unlimited text and 750 minutes shared (don’t talk much on the phone)
    - Can talk on phone while using data (use it at times and it’s helpful for checking info to give to the person on the phone)

iPhone 3G Cons

- Crashes a lot, there are times when I’m in the browser and it will just go to the home screen
    - Glass Screen will crack if I drop it (I don’t like cases)
    - No multi-tasking, this is something I would really like on my phone
    - No Flash on camera
    - Battery Life is horrible, I have to bring a charger to work because it will die before the end of the day
    - No insurance offered on phone
    - Email doesn’t get pushed to phone right away, sometimes it takes hours before it lets me know of an email

Palm Pre Pros

- Multi-tasking! This is something I would use a lot and would be very helpful
    - Flash on camera, 3 mp camera
    - Internet is twice as fast according to different articles and posts here on the Pre Forums
    - No crashing, the phone seems to run well and doesn’t lag
    - Insurance offered on phone
    - WebOS, looks great and easy to use
    - Big Speaker, helps with conference calls and listening to music or watching videos
    - Everything plan same price as my current iPhone family plan ($130)
    - True Push Email, at least I think it has that

Palm Pre Cons

- Sprint, I live in Sacramento and Sprint isn’t the best here
    - EVDO, you can’t talk on the phone while using data which is something I use
    - Sprint ESN’s, can’t switch phones easily because it has no SIM Card
    - Video isn’t as smooth and clear as iPhone (read an article that said video was choppy)
    - Contract, Not sure I want to sign a new 2 year contract without knowing how Sprint will be
    - Smaller Screen, a 3.1” screen is a big difference from a 3.5” screen (I will be able to notice)
    - Thicker, the phone is thicker than my iPhone which isn’t something I like
    - No visual voicemail, not a huge deal but it’s a nice option to have
    - Storage is only 8GB, the new iPhone is supposed to have 16GB and 32GB storage

What do you guys think? Trust me, I like the Palm Pre a lot but based on my personal pros and cons I listed for the phones, do you think it's worth it for me to switch to the Pre? What would you do? I'd appreciate your input, thanks. Also, I plan on waiting for WWDC to see what Apple comes out with (new iPhone) because they may come out with multi-tasking but that's a big maybe.
    I have one too. 3.0, while buggy at first, finally grants some features we've been missing. Shame not to be able to use them.

To me though, I've got EVDO rev A practically everywhere i go. Not so with AT&T.

Sprint is cheaper. Wife is on sprint, so that alone means back to family plan and is cheaper.

There's definitely consideration. Look at the long term. Palm promises updates but is open. Apple controls what you get. Apple has the eco system.

Try out a Pre. Use both for a bit. See which one you use the most. Decide.

Come back in a year and repeat.

But there's no harm in trying out..
    All devices you purchase with Sprint, Palm, or most retailers have a 30 day trial. Figure out if it's what you want within the 30 days. If so, great. If not, return it and get your money back.
    On Sprint I am paying $120 for 3 lines, unlimited data/text and 1500 minutes.

Other than that, I have never heard that video on the pre was choppy. The pre's processor is at least 3x more powerful than the iphones, so it's hard to believe.

The bulk makes no sense either. The iphone is like a brick compared to the pre. Sure it's a thin brick, but it's massive.

I've been over all the pros and cons that I think are real and I see only three reasons to get an iphone over a pre:

1- You are a big Apple cultist fanboy and use apple for your other computers as well
    2- You absolutely insist on having a sim card/GSM
    3- The app library has an over 2 year head start.

Otherwise, the pre seems better in almost every way that matters.
  5.    #5  
    cardfan & patkosanke --> ya maybe i will get a Pre with a new number and try it out and see if I like it but the thing is is that I want to keep my AT&T number so if i get the Palm Pre and want to keep it can they give me my old number from AT&T if i cancel? I'll have to find out because I don't want a new number
    Don't forget, the SDK has not been released for WebOS, so the software library will be pretty limited for the first year. I would stick with what you have for a little while, and see how well Palm lives up to all this hype.
    That's water under the bridge. First, you have to determine what you want...

I did the same thing with the first iphone and Centro. I picked up the Centro mostly. Took back the iphone.

Kept the iphone 3g though.
  8.    #8  
    Beanis --> I don't own Macs and I don't really like them, I'm used to PC's....and ya the App store is nice, also AT&T is supposed to get a Pre next year so it might be risky to get Sprint ( where I live it isn't that great) for 2 years if AT&T is coming out with it next year
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Don't forget, the SDK has not been released for WebOS, so the software library will be pretty limited for the first year. I would stick with what you have for a little while, and see how well Palm lives up to all this hype.
    And hope that not everyone does the same, or it never can.
    Quote Originally Posted by crossover37 View Post
    Beanis --> I don't own Macs and I don't really like them, I'm used to PC's....and ya the App store is nice, also AT&T is supposed to get a Pre next year so it might be risky to get Sprint ( where I live it isn't that great) for 2 years if AT&T is coming out with it next year
    If Sprint isn't that great where you are, then your decision is that much easier..
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I say keep the Iphone. You listed more pro's for IPhone than you did for PRE. I'll be getting the PRE.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  12.    #12  
    If Sprint isn't that great where you are, then your decision is that much easier..
    Ya but the Pre is a good phone from the looks of it, Multi-tasking is a nice feature and others say Sprint is good who live here while others say its horrible...tough decision
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    There are a lot more cons for the iPhone 3G.
    • How about Draconian control of what's available on your device?
    • What about Apple's lack of the basics? (MMS, Text forwarding, etc)
    • The iPhone app delay? AKA "touch me and wait". I've waited for about 20-30 seconds for the thing to launch a program, and I'm sick of it.
    • Touch screen usability? Now stay with me here... Usability of UI is often determined by how many keystrokes are required to execute a command. Let's count for the most basic of cellphone functions- making a phone call to an unknown number- on the iPhone vs a standard flip phone vs a Pre.
      iPhone
      1. Click button
      2. Slide to unlock
      3. *Go to home screen if you're not on it (2 clicks on home button, or repetitive slides)
      4. Press Phone icon
      5. Press Keypad button
      6. Dial the number

Regular Phone
      1. Flip phone open
      2. Dial the number

Palm Pre (option 1)
      1. Slide the phone open
      2. Dial the number

Palm Pre (option 2)
      1. Press button
      2. Slide to unlock
      3. Use quick launcher from anywhere to press the phone icon
      4. Dial the number

I'm sick of my iPhone- I've grown to hate it. Things like usability have become a thinly veiled wall of frustration. Look at that list- at the minimum, an iPhone takes 6 strokes just to make a phone call, compared to the Pre (4 or 2)! And that's just ONE example- I could go on and on and on (like Erykah Badu). The iPhone worked well with no app store; it was simple and concise. Now, it's full of bloat that Apple is going to have a hard time dealing with, short of restructuring the device software completely.

And umm... no multitasking on the iPhone? Consider that a blessing- it can barely single-task.
    Last edited by buyrihn; 06/01/2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Slight error in counting
    Ya but the Pre is a good phone from the looks of it, Multi-tasking is a nice feature and others say Sprint is good who live here while others say its horrible...tough decision
    I'd say try em both..

Decide in 30 days..
  15.    #15  
    hova --> I put 9 pros for the iPhone and 9 for the Pre
    Not sure about Sacramento but where I live AT&T 3G sucks. I mean, you start out with 5 bars and nice little 3G symbol but then when you actually start surfing or using data, it drops to 1 or 2 bars then jumps to Edge and slows to a craw. This is a very common frustration with AT&T 3G. I had a Sprint BB Curve before I got my iPhone 3G and it almost always had a EVDO signal and I never saw it go into 1X mode that I can remember.
  17.    #17  
    There are a lot more cons for the iPhone 3G.
    How about Draconian control of what's available on your device?
    What about Apple's lack of the basics? (MMS, Text forwarding, etc)
    The iPhone app delay? AKA "touch me and wait". I've waited for about 20-30 seconds for the thing to launch a program, and I'm sick of it.
    Touch screen usability? Now stay with me here... Usability of UI is often determined by how many keystrokes are required to execute a command. Let's count for the most basic of cellphone functions- making a phone call to an unknown number- on the iPhone vs a standard flip phone vs a Pre.
    iPhone
    Click button
    Slide to unlock
    *Go to home screen if you're not on it (2 clicks on home button, or repetitive slides)
    Press Phone icon
    Press Keypad button
    Dial the number
    Regular Phone
    Flip phone open
    Dial the number
    Palm Pre (option 1)
    Slide the phone open
    Dial the number
    Palm Pre (option 2)
    Press button
    Slide to unlock
    Use quick launcher from anywhere to press the phone icon
    Dial the number

I'm sick of my iPhone- I've grown to hate it. Things like usability have become a thinly veiled wall of frustration. Look at that list- at the minimum, an iPhone takes 6 strokes just to make a phone call, compared to the Pre (4 or 2)! Add one more to the iPhone if you're not on the home screen, for a total of 7. And that's just ONE example- I could go on and on and on (like Erykah Badu). The iPhone worked well with no app store; it was simple and concise. Now, it's full of bloat that Apple is going to have a hard time dealing with, short of restructuring the device software completely.

And umm... no multitasking on the iPhone? Consider that a blessing- it can barely single-task.
    Some good points, I have a small business and it's essential for me to have up to date email notifications which is why I hope the Pre will have true Push Email, do you know if all my photos and contacts will transfer to the Pre with no issues? What about my Yahoo! mail, does the Pre support that? I thought it was Gmail
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Sprint has an online ESN tool to change between phones. Not as easy as taking a SIM out, but pretty close in reality. (ie. you just need to have access to a computer!)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    - Is GSM so if I switch phones or go overseas I can use it there, it can also be unlocked
    Keep in mind that (at least as far as i know) the iphone's SIM card is inaccessible. Which would likely be a hassle if they have to reprogram or whatever if you do travel abroad. Even with the iphone, it might still be more convenient to buy a pay as you go phone when abroad (same you would do for the pre).

- Have a family plan on AT&T and get a discount, $130 total a month for 2 lines and 2 iPhones with unlimited text and 750 minutes shared (donít talk much on the phone)
    I believe that is the same price for 2 lines at sprint but with 1500 minutes and unlimited everything else (msgs, data, TV, GPS)

- Can talk on phone while using data (use it at times and itís helpful for checking info to give to the person on the phone)
    Yeah this is true. The only workaround is if you are on wifi, then you can talk and surf.

- True Push Email, at least I think it has that
    Yeah the Pre does have push for Exchange and any email service that supports IMAP IDLE (Gmail, yahoo, i dunno about hotmail or AOL)

- Sprint, I live in Sacramento and Sprint isnít the best here
    Yeah, as someone else stated, Sprint offers a 30 day trial. Best bet is to try it for yourself and see.

- Video isnít as smooth and clear as iPhone (read an article that said video was choppy)
    Huh, yeah I dunno about this one. The pre's processor is faster than the iphones. Unless someone was talking about Sprint TV, which makes sense since it is streamed and can be choppy.
  20.    #20  
    krische --> ya maybe the video was Sprint TV but I guess ill have to test it out. I will wait for WWDC to see what new iPhone comes out because they say the new one will have a better and faster processor, WWDC is only 2 days after the Pre comes out so I can wait and I may do the 30 day trial, but the only issue is will my number from AT&T be transferable if after the 30 Days i want to keep the Pre, because the number for Sprint will be a different one since I will still keep my iPhone during the trial
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast