Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think your decision is clear.
    In your post you state that AT&T has good service and Sprint service isn't so great in your area... that should make up your mind for you.

No matter how good a phone is, if the carrier has poor service in your area, you're only going to frustrate yourself.

It's just a phone, stick with the iPhone if AT&T is better in your area.

For me it's a toss up as far as service, so I'm going to wait for WWDC and see what they have to say, then make my decision.
    you made good points out for both phones. think of this, the plan you are on you actually can get that cheaper with sprints, using gsm is fine if you do a lot of traveling since att and t mobile use edge and most folks don't travel everyday. if you use 3g on the iphone it uses a lot of the battery. as stated no insurance for iphones that just can't be, my friend had an iphone that had a cracked battery he had to pay 150.00 just to get that fixed and he had a second generation iphone. go with the pre, like run dmc said if you don't like it you can send me back in 30 days. i think if you just get the phone you will like it.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crossover37 View Post
    krische --> ya maybe the video was Sprint TV but I guess ill have to test it out. I will wait for WWDC to see what new iPhone comes out because they say the new one will have a better and faster processor, WWDC is only 2 days after the Pre comes out so I can wait and I may do the 30 day trial, but the only issue is will my number from AT&T be transferable if after the 30 Days i want to keep the Pre, because the number for Sprint will be a different one since I will still keep my iPhone during the trial
    Yeah I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't be able to transfer your number after those 30 days. You just call up Sprint Customer service and they explain everything for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Palm Pre (option 1)
    1. Slide the phone open
    2. Dial the number

Palm Pre (option 2)
    1. Press button
    2. Slide to unlock
    3. Use quick launcher from anywhere to press the phone icon
    4. Dial the number
    [/LIST]
    Here is my biggest concern with the pre, the iPhone-like 1 button thing. It severely limits the one-handed-ness of the device. I haven't even seen anyone do a one-handed demo yet. Is it even possible to make a phone call with one hand?
  5.    #25  
    showson1 --> ya well some say its horrible in Sacramento and others say its great haha, so I might just have to try it for myself for 30 days

torrence.joseph30 --> you may be right, i will probably like it but need to read some hands on reviews from cnet and other sources, as well as try it for myself. It looks like a good phone but as many of you know, the Storm was very hyped too and wasn't that great. I'm not saying the Pre will be like the Storm but I just want to see if it meets the hype it's getting.
  6.    #26  
    rawdeadfish --> are you asking if can you make a one-handed call with the Pre or iPhone?
    I really would not hard code your first listing in the iPhone 'Pros' section:

"Is GSM so if I switch phones or go overseas I can use it there, it can also be unlocked"

For one, the ability to unlock is not built in to the device out of the box. For two, it took months for the iPhone 3g to become unlockable. This ability is not supposed to go away with the 3.0 update but you probably bank that it will go away with the next generation iPhone at least in the beginning. Roaming outside the US is not a feature that I need but I do know people who do use the iPhone 3g unlocked for this and they like it very much. That being said, it's looking like a GSM version of the Pre will be available in the near future....so if this is a must have I would just wait.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    showson1 --> ya well some say its horrible in Sacramento and others say its great haha, so I might just have to try it for myself for 30 days
    Good call.
    Even if I end up deciding to go with the Pre (which I'm leaning toward now), I'm not going to port my number for a couple of weeks.. just to try the waters with Sprint (currently on AT&T now).
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Some good points, I have a small business and it's essential for me to have up to date email notifications which is why I hope the Pre will have true Push Email, do you know if all my photos and contacts will transfer to the Pre with no issues? What about my Yahoo! mail, does the Pre support that? I thought it was Gmail
    You'll have support for Yahoo mail (but push email only with IMAP IDLE and/or Exchange). You'll have support for any email you'd like to put on the phone, but as someone pointed out earlier- if Sprint sucks in your area, then your decision should be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by rawdeadfish View Post
    Here is my biggest concern with the pre, the iPhone-like 1 button thing. It severely limits the one-handed-ness of the device. I haven't even seen anyone do a one-handed demo yet. Is it even possible to make a phone call with one hand?
    You mean the one hard button in the middle, right? Palm has stated that they wanted to make sure the phone could be used with one hand, so I think you're ok on that front. And unlike the iPhone, there are dedicated favorite buttons (any keypad press, except "E", if I remember correctly), so if you hold down the "J" key for instance, you can call anyone you assign that key. You can also dial directly from the standard keyboard without utilizing the soft keypad- both of which you can do with one hand, I would think.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Palm Pre Cons

- Sprint, I live in Sacramento and Sprint isn’t the best here
    - Contract, Not sure I want to sign a new 2 year contract without knowing how Sprint will be
    The quality of a carrier varies from region to region is a big deal and it's amazing how little emphasis people put on that. It doesn't matter if the Pre or iPhone is a superior phone when the service itself is dog slow or non-existent. So if Sprint isn't reliable out there then that's a pretty big dealbreaker that should at least have you waiting to see how other local Pre users feel about it.
    iPhone question... can it play any internet radio station? I tried radioio.com/io2go on a friends iPhone and it wouldn't play either streaming mp3 or streaming wmv. Wouldn't play other local radio stations either.

Works fine on my Treo and I'd expect the same with Pre. Do you have to load different media player on iPhone to stream radio or can it even do it all all. Seems it can only stream 'approved' pre-fab radio apps only (Pandora), not any radio out on the web.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    And hope that not everyone does the same, or it never can.
    If the Pre's success is hurt by a lack of apps, then that is Palm's fault for not having the SDK ready yet. I doubt this will be a major factor, but we'll see.

If a product isn't ready for release, do you think we should buy it anyway? I like Palm's products, but I don't owe them anything. If they stop making good products, they will no longer get my money.

Will I buy a Pre? Possibly. It depends on how it functions in the real world, regardless of all the hype. And that depends, partly, on the applications that are available for it. I think Palm is really droppong the ball by not having the SDK ready, but I hope they surprise me by having tons of great apps at launch.
    ^Agreed. Even though Apple didn't put the SDK out for over a year, webOS has a lot of catching up to do with apps. It should be immediately publicly available.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    The PRE is competing with the current iPhone, not against the sdk less iPhone. It needs apps as soon as possible.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I am iPhone 3G user considering the same issues. What I've concluded is to 1) try it on the 30 day trial, BUT, if it isn't great keep the iPhone and then wait six months and hold out for Verizon instead and by that time there will likely be improvements to rectify some of the issues, e.g., probably up to 16 gig storage by then, software solution for onscreen typing in landscape mode, allowing music downloads on 3G, solving the ability to surf while talking, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    I am iPhone 3G user considering the same issues. What I've concluded is to 1) try it on the 30 day trial, BUT, if it isn't great keep the iPhone and then wait six months and hold out for Verizon instead and by that time there will likely be improvements to rectify some of the issues, e.g., probably up to 16 gig storage by then, software solution for onscreen typing in landscape mode, allowing music downloads on 3G, solving the ability to surf while talking, etc.
    That's what I'm doing, trying it for 30 days then deciding. It's great these companies give you time to try it out, why not use it? If I'm not happy with it then I'll wait for it to come out on ATT where I can make calls, send-receive email, and browse the internet all at the same time. On a side note, I hope Sprint has dramatically improved their CS since last time I had them over 5 years ago. They told me last time that they couldn't guarantee my phone to work in my house and that I needed to step outside every time I made a call if I wasn't happy with the reception. Also, I'm glad they changed the try out period from 14 days to 30 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    There are a lot more cons for the iPhone 3G.
    • How about Draconian control of what's available on your device?
    • What about Apple's lack of the basics? (MMS, Text forwarding, etc)
    • The iPhone app delay? AKA "touch me and wait". I've waited for about 20-30 seconds for the thing to launch a program, and I'm sick of it.
    • Touch screen usability? Now stay with me here... Usability of UI is often determined by how many keystrokes are required to execute a command. Let's count for the most basic of cellphone functions- making a phone call to an unknown number- on the iPhone vs a standard flip phone vs a Pre.
      iPhone
      1. Click button
      2. Slide to unlock
      3. *Go to home screen if you're not on it (2 clicks on home button, or repetitive slides)
      4. Press Phone icon
      5. Press Keypad button
      6. Dial the number

Regular Phone
      1. Flip phone open
      2. Dial the number

Palm Pre (option 1)
      1. Slide the phone open
      2. Dial the number

Palm Pre (option 2)
      1. Press button
      2. Slide to unlock
      3. Use quick launcher from anywhere to press the phone icon
      4. Dial the number

I'm sick of my iPhone- I've grown to hate it. Things like usability have become a thinly veiled wall of frustration. Look at that list- at the minimum, an iPhone takes 6 strokes just to make a phone call, compared to the Pre (4 or 2)! And that's just ONE example- I could go on and on and on (like Erykah Badu). The iPhone worked well with no app store; it was simple and concise. Now, it's full of bloat that Apple is going to have a hard time dealing with, short of restructuring the device software completely.

And umm... no multitasking on the iPhone? Consider that a blessing- it can barely single-task.
    The iPhone is quite easily the most responsive phone out there IMO and I've had many. The only thing that bugs me is when an application opens and the information isn't shown right away like the calendar where it takes 1-2 seconds to load. Hopefully the new iPhone hardware has a faster processor, then maybe I might switch back from the Pre, but for now I'll be in line on June 6.
  18.    #38  
    dsjr2006 --> WWDC is 2 days after the Pre's launch so why dont you wait to see what new iPhone will come out then if it's lame then you can go get the Pre, I think that's what I'm going to to do.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    That's what I'm doing, trying it for 30 days then deciding. It's great these companies give you time to try it out, why not use it? If I'm not happy with it then I'll wait for it to come out on ATT where I can make calls, send-receive email, and browse the internet all at the same time. On a side note, I hope Sprint has dramatically improved their CS since last time I had them over 5 years ago. They told me last time that they couldn't guarantee my phone to work in my house and that I needed to step outside every time I made a call if I wasn't happy with the reception. Also, I'm glad they changed the try out period from 14 days to 30 days.
    Yeah I would say it has greatly improved. I just called them a week or 2 ago about the pre, it was a friday afternoon and I only had to wait on hold for maybe 5-10 seconds before I got a person. And they were able to answer all my questions.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    dsjr2006 --> WWDC is 2 days after the Pre's launch so why dont you wait to see what new iPhone will come out then if it's lame then you can go get the Pre, I think that's what I'm going to to do.
    And important is when. I've seen a lot of speculation that if they do come out with a new iphone model (which they most likely will) it wouldn't be released until July.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast