Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    sorry if this has already been posted but at quick glance i did not see this topic.

so obviously getting the pre at sprint is $100 more expensive then at best buy. does anyone know of any advantage to buying at sprint and paying $100more up front then buying at best buy and saving the $100. i've been burned by the MIR before and am not looking to get involved with that again unless necessary.

so any reason to spend the 100 more to buy at sprint vs save the 100 and buy at best buy (and get the touchstone too for the savings)?

all thoughts would be appreciated.
    you will get it earlier.... BB is not scheduled to open early
    Quote Originally Posted by le_seus View Post
    does anyone know of any advantage to buying at sprint and paying $100more up front then buying at best buy and saving the $100.
    Buying at sprint then buying at best buy means you'll have two Pre Phones. There's your advantage
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    i've been burned by the MIR before and am not looking to get involved with that again unless necessary.
    IMHO, mir's should be completely phased into instant in-store rebates, or at least credit on account.

Since companies still use MIR's to make money from those who mail too late, or forget to submit, they will probably hang around a while longer.

How to hande an MIR?
    1) Copy ALL required documents you will be submitting, especially the completed MIR form(s) (name, address, etc)
    2) Mail to the company via Certified Mail with Return Receipt. (cost $5) This ensures the company receives your MIR mailing.
    3) follow up with CS near end of ETA of rebate (e.g. 1 or 2 weeks remaining on a 8-12 week processing time)

HTH!
    I see pandas.
    sorry if this has already been posted but at quick glance i did not see this topic.

so obviously getting the pre at sprint is $100 more expensive then at best buy. does anyone know of any advantage to buying at sprint and paying $100more up front then buying at best buy and saving the $100. i've been burned by the MIR before and am not looking to get involved with that again unless necessary.

so any reason to spend the 100 more to buy at sprint vs save the 100 and buy at best buy (and get the touchstone too for the savings)?

all thoughts would be appreciated.
    I've been wondering about pricing, for a while. Maybe someone here can clear this up.

They say that Best Buy will charge over $800 for the Pre, without contract. They say that Best Buy will offer an instant rebate instead of the mail-in variety - apparently in addition to the instant rebate that Sprint WILL offer (which is what brings the price down to $199 at Sprint).

To me, that just amount. So, it seems to me that two $100-150 rebates on a $500+ phone will bring the price down to about $199 at Sprint... but only down to $500+ or $600+ at Best Buy.

Bottom-line: I never got the impression that the $199 price for upgrading/new contracts was pulled out of the air. It was the remaining price after applying discounts.

Unless someone corrects me, I'll continue believing that Best Buy will cost more - in or out of contract.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've been wondering about pricing, for a while. Maybe someone here can clear this up.

They say that Best Buy will charge over $800 for the Pre, without contract. They say that Best Buy will offer an instant rebate instead of the mail-in variety - apparently in addition to the instant rebate that Sprint WILL offer (which is what brings the price down to $199 at Sprint).

To me, that just amount. So, it seems to me that two $100-150 rebates on a $500+ phone will bring the price down to about $199 at Sprint... but only down to $500+ or $600+ at Best Buy.

Bottom-line: I never got the impression that the $199 price for upgrading/new contracts was pulled out of the air. It was the remaining price after applying discounts.

Unless someone corrects me, I'll continue believing that Best Buy will cost more - in or out of contract.
    Best Buy's retail off-contract price is $850, but their new-contract price is going to be $199.99 just like Sprint and RadioShack and whoever else is selling the darned thing.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I'll be trying Best Buy first because an extra hundred dollars in my college-kid-jeans pocket is a good to have...but it may prove to be difficult. See, my BB is only getting 3 Palm Pre phones. They open at 10, and I'm going to arrive about 8ish and hopefully nobody will be there!

Per their Website, the price with plan: $199.99 after savings with a new 2-year agreement with Sprint and activation through Best Buy.
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 06/01/2009 at 11:16 AM.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    I just did a mail-in rebate on another phone through Sprint, and honestly, it went great. Their website updates often, it automatically e-mails me when the status changes, and it took <3 weeks for the check to go into the mail after they received it. There's no UPC or barcode clipping, just the rebate form and the packing slip/receipt (I sent both just because they were folded together anyway).

So 3 sheets of paper, ran it through the copier, filled out the rebate form while in line at the post office (I had to go anyway, who doesn't have to go to the post office every now and then?), and it was done, and they've been great about it.

Sure, it's another $100 that you're having to float them. But honestly, you're paying $200 for the phone and likely have a plan that costs $100 or more per month to go with the phone, the $100 isn't that big a deal.

Even better idea, go to the Sprint store, have them bill the phone to your account anyway, and the bill will be due in a month, by which time your rebate will likely be on its way to you anyway. People complain about the fact that we have to float Sprint $100 on the thing if we buy it at a Sprint store, but if you bill it to your account then they're floating you $200 for a month as well.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Sure, it's another $100 that you're having to float them. But honestly, you're paying $200 for the phone and likely have a plan that costs $100 or more per month to go with the phone, the $100 isn't that big a deal.
    You stole the words right out of my mouth
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    i did not realize that we could have them bill it to our account. are you sure we can do this?
    After holding for a really long freaking time and dealing with their malfunctioning call routing system, I finally got to the Best Buy Mobile department, asked about Pre pricing, and was told...

"We don't carry Sprint at this store, sir." Click.

Well, damn.

There's only one Best Buy in town, so I guess they won't be an option for me.
    One Radio Shack location didn't know if they'd carry the Pre at all.

Another thought they'd carry it, but she didn't know when and she wasn't sure about the "upgrade" pricing. I didn't even bother asking about rebates.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    IMHO, mir's should be completely phased into instant in-store rebates, or at least credit on account.

Since companies still use MIR's to make money from those who mail too late, or forget to submit, they will probably hang around a while longer.
    Or just make MIR's easier. Rebates suck, but they could at least make it easier for you by eliminating all the cut/mail/copying you do and just make the whole thing an online process. Honestly, why would we have to "verify proof of purchase" when they've got more than enough details on our purchases?

Staples does it this way. You buy a rebated product and go to their site to register it for the rebate. Everything is cross referenced with your receipt so it's completely hassle free, trackable and quick.
    With Best Buy you can get reward zone points plus $100 off without having to wait.

While I understand MIR work, it doesn't make me feel better when the reciept is $100 extra
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    i did not realize that we could have them bill it to our account. are you sure we can do this?
    You can bill it to your account if you do not have a "dollar limited" (I forget the exact term) account. From what I understand, some accounts have a limited amount they can bill per month, and some don't.