Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    For those who aren't sure whether they'll be getting a Pre, what questions do you need answered to make the decision? Those of us who get our hands on a Pre this week might be able to answer them for you.

I thought I might start a thread for show stopper questions. Please, only post questions that will affect your decision to buy a Pre, not just curiosity questions that won't affect your decision. We'll satisfy our curiosity on Saturday. Please, also no questions already answered in the user guide or by d94 or by Pedro The Goat.

I can only think of a few:

(1) How easy is it to control the cursor's exact location? Is selecting text and cutting and pasting easy to do?

(2) Is data entry while browsing the web too cramped, given that it can only be done in portrait mode?

(3) How easy is it to navigate among web pages? To change the current page's URI, to got to bookmarked pages, and to open pages in new cards?

(4) Does the browser support FTP (read-only), and is it usable? (e.g. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ -- This question seemed important to another PreCentral member.)

(5) Can you receive a phone call while browsing the web? What happens? What happens when you hang up? If you happened to be typing text into a web page, does that text still remain? (Has this already been answered?)

(6) Is it easy to reproduce d94's apparent memory leak, such as by maxing out the cards a few times?

Does anybody have any other make-or-break questions that haven't been answered yet?
    I don't see any of those as being "show stoppers."
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Right, not every issue is going to be a show stopper for everyone. Only a few of these are show stoppers for me, since I plan to write a lot of text on the phone. Others I picked up from other threads as apparently really important to some people.
    1. Will the Pre's memory be expandable? (Showstopper).
    2. Will the Pre be sold exclusively by Sprint? (Showstopper).
    3. Will the Pre synchonize, out-of-the-box, with any desktop software (TBDTBDTBD).

Edit Add: 4. No simultaneous use of the phone while connected to PC via USB to transfer files. (Showstopper).
    Last edited by Kupe; 06/01/2009 at 10:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    1. Will the Pre's memory be expandable? (Showstopper).
    2. Will the Pre be sold exclusively by Sprint? (Showstopper).
    3. Will the Pre synchonize, out-of-the-box, with any desktop software (TBDTBDTBD).
    Don't we already know these answers?

(1) Memory - Is flash ever expandable? Might be worth asking, but I doubt any Sprint rep knows or can be trusted to know, and the answer is virtually certainly no anyway.

(2) Just Sprint - Yes, just Sprint at least through 2009.

(3) Sync with anything - No it won't. This is a logical impossibility (I'm a programmer). They had to do a heck of a lot of work just to sync with iTunes. However, any desktop app that sync with file system devices should be able to sync with the Pre when in USB drive mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Don't we already know these answers?
    Yep - and two of my questions, so far, are answered with showstoppers.
    (3) Sync with anything - No it won't. This is a logical impossibility (I'm a programmer). They had to do a heck of a lot of work just to sync with iTunes. However, any desktop app that sync with file system devices should be able to sync with the Pre when in USB drive mode.
    As a programmer you should know the difference between the words "any" and "every." My question was if the Pre syncs with "any" desktop software. If your file synchronization answer is your final answer, then it is a showstopper.

And you think their "sync with iTunes" was a lot of work? There are at least 3 programs available today that sync any PDA phone with iTunes - and 2 of them are free. I'd be surprised if it was "a lot of work" to develop those programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    lol, These aren't. It's just another person making a pointless thread. People LOVE to overreact to things, and they think too much too. lol

This "show stopper" term and "deal breaker" term(s) are stupid already lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    lol, These aren't. It's just another person making a pointless thread. People LOVE to overreact to things, and they think too much too. lol

This "show stopper" term and "deal breaker" term(s) are stupid already lol.
    Showstopper is a personal term, not a universal term.

Oh and I added one more to my list of confirmed showstoppers.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Showstopper is a personal term, not a universal term.
    Right. It's illogical to say, "It's not a show stopper for me, therefore it's not a show stopper for anyone. QED."

Oh and I added one more to my list of confirmed showstoppers.
    LOL. It sounds like your show is stopped.
    LOL. It sounds like your show is stopped.
    On the Pre, this would appear to be the case. Hopefully they'll fix some of these shortcomings before the Verizon release in January (at least that will fix the Sprint showstopper ).
    Personally:

-Will the keyboard be good enough to replace my Blackberry?

-Will the battery be enough for a full day+ of use?

Neither of those can be answered without several few days of use. So I will be getting the Pre as soon as possible, I just might not be keeping it depending on its performance.
    Having been using an iphone for the last year, i really like the fact my calls go through even when i have a active data connection going. I use Pandora radio in my car, and im worried all those calls will go straight to Voice Mail.

Is that the case or did i mis-understand () the way it would work
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipro View Post
    Is that the case or did i mis-understand () the way it would work
    That is the case on Sprint's EVDO network: You cannot access voice and data simultaneously - unless you also happen to have a wifi connection going for Pandora, which would be unlikely if you're driving around.

However, Sprint's EVDO will interrupt/pause a data connection to let a call through automatically so you won't miss any calls.
    I have three phones, 2 centros and a plain phone (think its a Sanyo). My plan is the Everything Messaging plan w/ 1500 minutes witha adata plan on the 2 Centros.
    Cost will be $40 more per month or $480/yr more.
    Too bad the Pre does not allow me to stay with my current plan.

I will pass on the Pre...

Take care.
    Quote Originally Posted by hshimans View Post
    I have three phones, 2 centros and a plain phone (think its a Sanyo). My plan is the Everything Messaging plan w/ 1500 minutes witha adata plan on the 2 Centros.
    Cost will be $40 more per month or $480/yr more.
    Too bad the Pre does not allow me to stay with my current plan.

I will pass on the Pre...

Take care.
    And you tell us why? lol..
    After reading some of the other threads, I was wondering if the Pre used the cloud for the browser also, and if it would still be safe to access my online banking and credit card sites. I hope that's not a silly question, but I haven't been following all the threads, and I'm not sure how "the cloud" works.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Not full answers, but based on all the info we have received so far, here is what I've gleaned:

(1) How easy is it to control the cursor's exact location? Is selecting text and cutting and pasting easy to do?
    -We now know cut and paste only works with editable text.

(2) Is data entry while browsing the web too cramped, given that it can only be done in portrait mode?

-You'll be able to zoom in to the input area so this should not be an issue.

(3) How easy is it to navigate among web pages? To change the current page's URI, to got to bookmarked pages, and to open pages in new cards?

(4) Does the browser support FTP (read-only), and is it usable? (e.g. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ -- This question seemed important to another PreCentral member.)

-The problem seems to be that you cannot save a file to open it. So therefore, FTP use would be very limited. D94 said the browser would only stream info, not download it.

(5) Can you receive a phone call while browsing the web? What happens? What happens when you hang up? If you happened to be typing text into a web page, does that text still remain? (Has this already been answered?)

-One of the reviewers said you would get a notification, then you could answer, put on speaker phone, then go back to the browser 'card'.

(6) Is it easy to reproduce d94's apparent memory leak, such as by maxing out the cards a few times?

-His issue seemed more related to the fact that he had just pulled all 3000+ of his Gmail contacts over with Synergy and had minimized that card and was doing other things. That seems like a lot of stress to put on the system.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    After reading some of the other threads, I was wondering if the Pre used the cloud for the browser also, and if it would still be safe to access my online banking and credit card sites. I hope that's not a silly question, but I haven't been following all the threads, and I'm not sure how "the cloud" works.
    The 'cloud' is only for data storage (calendar, contacts, notes, etc). The only way your data might be less secure is if the browser uses a proxy to connect (like Opera mini, etc) which we don't yet know for the Pre.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I was told that Batter life was a problem on the Pre FWIW ? I do hope this is not the case or SEDIO will come up with an extend battery soon
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    I would really like a voice recognition app for both browsing and phone dialing. I plan to wait at least until October to see if this app is added. If it hasn't been added by October, I'll probably buy an Android phone. The browser voice recognition is more important to me than phone dialing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast