1.    #1  
    Tech Guru Om Malik's very short review of Palm Pre. Mind you this guy's claim was that Palm is heading for disaster even after Palm Pre was announced.
    Countdown to Palm Pre: My Super-Quick Hands-On Review
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    What a tool! Sounds like a review of the present state of Palm and Sprint instead of a quick review of the phone. Didn't really say anything about the phone. This tells me his mind was made up before it even got into his hands. Anyone being labeled a 'guru' at anything will become jaded with time.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I swear, ths is the part of the rollouts I hate. The increased anxiety and people (Reviewers)starting to pick away at the what's wrong ;=) I am really hoping that my impressions are that this phone is exactly the right first smartphone for "me" because I am just so sick of waiting!

This is a great place for information - much thanks to all who post here.
  4.    #4  
    At least his impression of the browser was good. And Sprint got a boost as well. This guy tore AT&T network apart on his blog after using Iphone. By the way he was back to BB last time I checked.
    "There are a lot of features ó multi-tasking applications, for instance, that I didnít get to play around with much. However, thanks to a rock-solid Sprint EVDO network, browsing on the device was really fast. Palm seems to have done a great job of developing a WebKit-based browser. Its implementation seems to be on par with the WebKit-based browsers from Apple and Google. It easily trumps Nokiaís WebKit-based browser."
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I dont know why people are crying about this review. If reviewers only said what you personally wanted to hear they wouldnt be reviewers at all. Some people here need to really get a grip and understand that the Pre isnt a perfect device on a perfect carrier from a perfect company. And that is ok, as long as it is more perfect then its competition.
    The general consensus seems to be that webOS is awesome while the hardware has room for improvement. Considering Palm isn't a one phone company and they didn't have the capital to go all-out on the phone (materials wise), it's understandable.

I expect to see better webOS phones in the coming years.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I dont know why people are crying about this review. If reviewers only said what you personally wanted to hear they wouldnt be reviewers at all. Some people here need to really get a grip and understand that the Pre isnt a perfect device on a perfect carrier from a perfect company. And that is ok, as long as it is more perfect then its competition.
    I fully expect there to be a long list of cons to any tech product. I think iPhone, BB and this all have their +/-
    I just hate when my little, "this phone is for me" bubble gets burst a bit ;=)

I wish I could find one to play with in a store. So far there do not seem to be any demos in the stores I've called. If anyone here is in Nassau LI and has found one, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Dorothy
    It seem to be a fair assesement. He was giving his opinion, hence, his "impression". Just because its not what some wants to hear on this board doesn't make it any less. All reviewers will inject their own opinion into a review/preview piece. If I just wanted the facts, there's the spec sheet.
  9.    #9  
    I think at least Josh @ Engadget, Natalie @ Cnet (may be Bonnie Cha too), and David Pogue have Palm Pre and they will review on Friday or Saturday. I think there are many other tech bloggers & writers who got their Palm Pre with very tough NDA. So all people who are complaining about seldom reviews of Pre will be glad on Friday. This is my guess but I know if I was Palm I would follow Iphone release which worked out great I guess for Apple.

10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The guy's columns are after thoughts.
    Why on earth he thinks webos is not in the same league as
    Symbian ? WinMo ?
    Its a joke.

And folks ,the keyboard issue is gonna be there.

No matter what, folks are going to compare it with blackberry. And say its not good.

I say live with it if you want a fast browser.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    or get your own keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    The general consensus seems to be that webOS is awesome while the hardware has room for improvement. Considering Palm isn't a one phone company and they didn't have the capital to go all-out on the phone (materials wise), it's understandable.
    This has been the complaint about Palm ever since the 600 - nice software ideas, mediocre hardware (well, at least until the "nice ideas" part disappeared too).
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    The guy's columns are after thoughts.
    Why on earth he thinks webos is not in the same league as
    Symbian ? WinMo ?
    Its a joke.
    The ancient Symbian OS, especially the touch version, is thee biggest POS Ive ever played with.

So if this guy doesnt think an ultra-modern OS like webOS is on par with that, he loses all credibility IMO.

Out of all the smartphone OSs, Symbian is hand down the worst, then WinMo. I dont care how popular Symbian is in other countries. Popularity doesnt always = the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    So if this guy doesnt think an ultra-modern OS like webOS is on par with that, he loses all credibility IMO.

Out of all the smartphone OSs, Symbian is hand down the worst, then WinMo. I dont care how popular Symbian is in other countries. Popularity doesnt always = the best.
    I guess you've never used a phone running Garnet before then.
    First off the Symbian OS is an exceptional O/s - it's been multi tasking for over a decade. What you have issues with is the UI - The Nokia series 60 UI. Anyone used UIQ on a Sony Ericsson - it was far better but that was also running on the Symbian o/s.

Winmo is entrenched in the corporate space because of MS dominance.

The problem is the phone with the nicest gui takes the limelight. I am not defending Symbian but it's a robust o/s - the Nokia series 60 GUI is a bit pre-historic.