Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I'm planning to start visiting Sprint stores tomorrow (Monday) around 10am CST. They should have some answers by now. It's the home stretch.

What questions should I ask them? I'll chat with them about the Palm Pre itself, but I'm more concerned the logistics of the launch. We might compare our answers to see if things are getting more consistent.

Here are some questions I can think of:

(1) How much interest are you getting in the phone? How many units are you expecting this weekend? When do you think you'll sell out? Are different stores getting different numbers of phones, according to expected demand?

(2) Who is eligible to purchase the phone? Anyone? New customers or customers adding new service only? Premier customers? Premier customers who still have a year left on their current contract?

(3) Will you be having a launch party on Friday the 5th? What time? Who's invited? What happens if someone shows up who is not invited? Will anyone else in the area be having a June 5th launch party?

(4) What time will you be opening on Saturday morning? Will you be opening even earlier for Premier customers or other specially-invited customers? What happens if someone shows up who is not invited?

(5) Are you keeping a list of people who want to buy the phone this weekend? What are you doing with that list? When benefit does a person on that list receive? Can you put me on the list?

(6) May I put a deposit down on the phone now, to reserve one for me this weekend? Is there anything I can do to improve my odds of getting a phone this weekend? (Note: This is not an offer to bribe!)

(7) Will you be issuing a mail-in rebate, or will you be applying the rebate at purchase time in the store? In other words, will customers with the upgrade discount be paying $199 or $299 at the store?

(8) Will you be offering the Total Equipment Protection Plan for the phone? What benefit will it provide in the case of the Palm Pre? What will it cost?

(9) I understand that you have to activate the phone before I leave the store, but is it also a requirement that the Palm Profile be set up before I leave? Do you have any suggestions for how I prepare my online accounts prior to activating a Palm Profile?

(10) May I see the phone? May I play with it? Will you demo it for me? Have you had time to play with it? What do you think of the phone?

(11) Is there a limit on how many phones a customer can purchase? What if it's a business activating multiple lines?

Am I missing any important questions?
    Last edited by jtlapp; 06/01/2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: clarified rebate question; + phone count
    "What is the meaning of life? And don't give me any of that '42' bs either!"

Question for you...

Are you printing off the questions for reference? Otherwise, how the hell are you gonna remember all that!? Our president can't even remember his speech w/o a teleprompter! Anyway, good questions and I look forward to hopefully good answers.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    I'm planning to start visiting Sprint stores tomorrow (Monday) around 10am CST. They should have some answers by now. It's the home stretch.

What questions should I ask them? I'll chat with them about the Palm Pre itself, but I'm more concerned the logistics of the launch. We might compare our answers to see if things are getting more consistent.

Here are some questions I can think of:

(1) How much interest are you getting in the phone? How many units are you expecting this weekend? When do you think you'll sell out? Are different stores getting different numbers of phones, according to expected demand?

(2) Who is eligible to purchase the phone? Anyone? New customers or customers adding new service only? Premier customers? Premier customers who still have a year left on their current contract?

(3) Will you be having a launch party on Friday the 5th? What time? Who's invited? What happens if someone shows up who is not invited? Will anyone else in the area be having a June 5th launch party?

(4) What time will you be opening on Saturday morning? Will you be opening even earlier for Premier customers or other specially-invited customers? What happens if someone shows up who is not invited?

(5) Are you keeping a list of people who want to buy the phone this weekend? What are you doing with that list? When benefit does a person on that list receive? Can you put me on the list?

(6) May I put a deposit down on the phone now, to reserve one for me this weekend? Is there anything I can do to improve my odds of getting a phone this weekend? (Note: This is not an offer to bribe!)

(7) Will you be issuing a mail-in rebate, or will you be applying the rebate at purchase time in the store?

(8) Will you be offering the Total Equipment Protection Plan for the phone? What benefit will it provide in the case of the Palm Pre? What will it cost?

(9) I understand that you have to activate the phone before I leave the store, but is it also a requirement that the Palm Profile be set up before I leave? Do you have any suggestions for how I prepare my online accounts prior to activating a Palm Profile?

(10) May I see the phone? May I play with it? Will you demo it for me? Have you had time to play with it? What do you think of the phone?

Am I missing any important questions?
    Are you seriously going to drill them for an hour with all these questions and expect them to sit there and have a full on interview with you?

And for your question #7, why would they have a rebate in the first place if they were going to give it instantly at POS?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcydon View Post
    Are you seriously going to drill them for an hour with all these questions and expect them to sit there and have a full on interview with you?
    It'll all be casual, not to worry. The folks know me there -- the ones who have been there a while, anyway. I'll ask all the questions I can think of before consulting the list to see if anything unasked remains relevant. I agree, though, they would be annoyed if I read off a list and took notes.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcydon View Post
    And for your question #7, why would they have a rebate in the first place if they were going to give it instantly at POS?
    You're right, it might be less confusing to ask whether you pay $199 or $299 at the store.
    11) Is there a limit on how many phones per customer?

My local rep told me Saturday that technically people can purchase as many phones as they activate lines. I just want one, and that seems wrong to me on launch weekend. Unless they skuttle about low inventory is just hype.
    I called up a couple stores today, but only had a few questions.... clearly they were all tired of answering questions about it, because they were very short with me, but I asked the same questions.

Will you be selling the Palm Pre this weekend? -To make sure they're getting them in, and to see what date they tell me they'll start selling them.

Do you know how many you'll be getting in? -I didn't anticipate getting an answer to this, but figured it was worth a try anyway.

What time are you opening on Saturday? -For obvious reasons

And finally, are you expecting a pretty big demand for it?

Of course, two stores weren't sure yet if they'd have earlier hours, none could tell me how many they're getting in, and all three told me they expect a pretty big demand for it... Though the non-corporate Sprint store actually told me they think they're going to have an 'early bird special' so she took down my number and said she'd call later this week... not quite sure how a mall store has an early bird special, but whatever.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Answers!! I got lucky and walked into a store that wasn't very busy. I had a conversation with two people, both of whom seemed really knowledgeable, one of whom appeared to be the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    This store is getting a ton of interest, lots of phone calls. They have no clue how many units they will be receiving. They haven't received any yet and likely won't receive any until Thursday or Friday. They don't know how corporate is deciding how many units to send.

Despite rumors to the contrary, anyone can buy a Pre this Saturday. When I explained the rumor about only selling to new customers, new lines, or upgraded service, they responded saying that that applied to the price you paid, not to whether were allowed to purchase. To me that means that only new customers and customers eligible for the upgrade discount will get the purchase discount

This store will not be having a Friday launch party. They believed that only certain "flagship stores" around the country would be having Friday launch parties. They knew of no Friday launch parties in my area.

This store will open at 8am on Saturday morning. Anyone can show. You get in line and customers will be sold phones on a first-come-first-served basis.

However, after they run out of stock on Saturday, they will start putting names on a wait-list, according to your order in line. When a new shipment of Pre's comes in, they will call the wait list customers in order to inform them that the phone has arrived. They will hold the phone for the customer for two days before selling it to another customer.

This wait list only applies to people who show up on opening day, Saturday. They had no idea when subsequent shipments of the Pre would arrive.

There is no list prior to the wait list that will be made on Saturday (see above answer).

No deposit now, no reservation or purchase until Saturday. Best thing to do to ensure that you get a phone is to show up early. This store said, "When we open." So far they have only heard one customer say that he would be there at opening.

(7) Will you be issuing a mail-in rebate, or will you be applying the rebate at purchase time in the store? In other words, will customers with the upgrade discount be paying $199 or $299 at the store?
    There will be a mail-in rebate. Purchase price at store for those eligible for the new customer or upgrade discount is $299.

Yes, the plan will be offered for the Pre. However, it can only be fulfilled at certain Sprint locations around town (nothing new). Because of the probable initial shortage of Pres, these service locations would first try to troubleshoot or fix the phone before replacing it. This particular store was not one of those stores, so I don't know how they'll be dealing with Palm/Sprint's apparent standing requirement that Pres be replaced and not fixed.

Here's a big clarification for me: to activate phone service, you have to create a Palm Profile, and this only requires a valid email address. You will not have to sync with your Gmail account or Facebook or anything like that while in the store. They merely enter your email address and your line goes active. You are not logging into your email account in the store. You can even wait until you get home before clicking on the link sent in the confirmation email. (Since instant confirmation is not required, I assume that you have a certain amount of time to confirm the email address, but I didn't ask.)

You will be required to activate the phone in the store. Come with an email address.

I sensed that they already had access to the phone, though they wouldn't tell me so. In any case, they would not be demoing the phone to anyone until Saturday. Seeing them squirm at my question about whether they had a phone, I held back from asking them whether they liked the phone.

(11) Is there a limit on how many phones a customer can purchase? What if it's a business activating multiple lines?
    They were not aware of any limit on how many phones a single customer could purchase, but I got the feeling that they simply didn't know the answer to this question. There might be a limit. I specifically mentioned the example of someone buying multiple phones for a business. In any case, each phone would have to be separately activated prior to leaving the store.

--------

I was very happy with their helpful enthusiasm. This was actually the second Sprint store I visited today. The first store was very busy, and when I finally got someone, I started with questions about the Airave. The answers I was getting were at odds with what I'd read on the net, and when I pointed this out, he said that his answers may be wrong, that he really didn't know. I figured there was no point in asking questions about the Pre and went to another store. Obviously, your mileage at Sprint stores will vary quite a lot.

But from having read what Sprint reps are telling other people, I find myself forced to conclude one of the following: (1) that the official launch day policy will vary by region or (2) that Sprint reps are woefully confused. If there is a single official policy, I'm confident that the folks I spoke with today articulated it pretty closely. They convinced me, anyway.

Don't let this stop you from getting your own answers. Let's compare notes.
    I've no doubt AT&T would've been just as confused if Apple didn't really take over it's launch. Therefore i forgive Sprint somewhat.

Just show up early June 6 and you'll get a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    "What is the meaning of life? And don't give me any of that '42' bs either!"

roflmfao