Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    The below was posted on Sprint's Buzzaboutwirelss.com. By twennywon.

So today I was informed by the sprint store, ecare and by calling sprint that the only way to obtain the Palm Pre is to upgrade a line that is eligible or add a new line or be a new customer. The phone will NOT be sold to existing customers for the $549, and there is no way to purchase the phone outright. I think this is BS doesn't sprint want to retain customers?

If this is true it changes the game and is B.S.
    I don't know if it is true, but none of the admin has stepped up to say it wasn't.
    I can't wait until June 6th...

You are right about one thing, we don't know what is true or not...

lol
    Last edited by theog; 05/31/2009 at 10:51 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    this better be false
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I hope it is Jonathan, but none of the Sprint Admin have corrected it.

I guess I will just have to buy the phone with one of my other available lines. Do an esn swap and then pay the ETF on the new line. Screw Sprint, I am gonna get it one way or the other. Heck I would come out cheaper that way anyway, it is just a pain in the tale.
    So if you buy it on a 2nd line can you switch the phone number from the 1st line to the 2nd line .And what is the ETF fee amount. I was thinking of doing that but I dont want to lose my phone number .
    If Sprint would love to sell less phones and **** people off (even more with their odd business choices) then they should go for it. Android, iPhone, there's other stuff out there. If they would like to lose sales, then they will. It's not like the Pre is the only cool phone, I (and tons of others who think the same way) would happily use the next iPhone or HTC Magic.

They confirm that they have the Pre for six more months, create an artificial drought, don't advertise and then decide that most of their customers shouldn't be able to buy it? It's genius.

I shouldn't have to do crazy workarounds to buy a phone as a customer, so we'll see where my money goes.
    It just doesn't wash. I mean, why have the full retail price if you won't allow anyone to pay it? I think there's just confusion in the channel right now because lots of people at the lower levels are being kept in the dark for some reason. They seem to just be making stuff up and misunderstanding questions people ask.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If you're at a Sprint store on Saturday, and you're willing to pay full retail, how are they going to turn you down? I just can't see them doing it. It'll be first come, first served because that maximizes the number of phones sold. No customers willing to purchase under the terms will be turned away.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Come Saturday night if I have a PRE I will not care but dang this entire PRE release from day one back in January has been an absolute mess. Palm/Sprint has acted like a rookie at this. there seems to be no direction or anything, no wonder they need a war room on Saturday. What a mess. Again I will not care come Saturday but absolutley terrible.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I was told the same thing at a Sprint authorized dealer. They told me I have to be either a new customer or eligible for the upgrade otherwise they can't sell it to me.

I chalked this up as someone being misinformed, but after reading this post, I thought I should mention my experience.

Gotta hope this is a big mistake. After much debate on whether to leave Sprint because I didn't qualify for the upgrade, I decide to buy the phone anyway. And now there's a chance they won't sell it to me? Wow...never saw that coming.
    This is such a Sprint thing to do. If this happens I will be closing my account and looking into the new iPhone or HTC Magic. Sprint 3G may be great, the Pre may be nice and their plan may save me $15 a month but it's a slap and spit in the face to me as a customer.
    This makes absolute sense. They want new customers most of all, and then use it to help reduce churn (a big problem for Sprint which is shedding customers at a large rate) by selling it to customers who are out of contract.

if you are under contract, they probably figure that you won't leave anyway, so you are lower priority. It makes perfect sense given the reduced stock they have to sell.

I am actually surprised they are letting existing customers eligible for upgrade buy them at all for the first month.
    Makes sense on paper BUT its absolutley the wrong thing to do and the one thing they dont want to do. You do not make your core base existing customers angry. I am getting it as an upgrade BUT I still would be mad that they are doing this to loyal sprint users.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    This can't be true. Existing customers are already being invited to June 5 launch parties. Doesn't this already contradict the claim?

It also can't be true because, to prevent a customer relations catastrophe, Sprint would have had to clarify who could and who could not buy the Pre on June 6 when it made the June 6 announcement. Here's the announcement. This isn't in the announcement.

Boy these rumors are getting wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by mopak View Post
    I was told the same thing at a Sprint authorized dealer. They told me I have to be either a new customer or eligible for the upgrade otherwise they can't sell it to me.

I chalked this up as someone being misinformed, but after reading this post, I thought I should mention my experience.

Gotta hope this is a big mistake. After much debate on whether to leave Sprint because I didn't qualify for the upgrade, I decide to buy the phone anyway. And now there's a chance they won't sell it to me? Wow...never saw that coming.
    I'm not in your situation because I'm upgrading, but man oh man, if they told me that I couldn't buy the Pre at any price, that would make me leave Sprint instantly.

And it would require every ounce of self-control that I have to keep from punching someone in the face.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    I hope it is Jonathan, but none of the Sprint Admin have corrected it.

I guess I will just have to buy the phone with one of my other available lines. Do an esn swap and then pay the ETF on the new line. Screw Sprint, I am gonna get it one way or the other. Heck I would come out cheaper that way anyway, it is just a pain in the tale.
    I've thought about this as well. Just buy the phone with a new line, "upgrade" my current line to an Everything Data plan, swap the ESN to my current (upgraded) line, then cancel the "new" line after 30 days (to get the MIR processed). Total price would be:

$200 after MIR for the Pre on a new line
    $70 for a month's worth of service on the new line
    $175 ETF
    Total: $445. That's about $100 less than just buying at retail.

But, it seems like Sprint would have figured this out and there'd be a catch somewhere. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed possible?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Wow if Sprint wants extremely bad press they'll pull something like this. I can't even imagine the sheer amount of anger something like this would cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    This makes absolute sense. They want new customers most of all, and then use it to help reduce churn (a big problem for Sprint which is shedding customers at a large rate) by selling it to customers who are out of contract.

if you are under contract, they probably figure that you won't leave anyway, so you are lower priority. It makes perfect sense given the reduced stock they have to sell.

I am actually surprised they are letting existing customers eligible for upgrade buy them at all for the first month.
    Pissing off your customers a month before the iPhone launch makes absolute sense? I have to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    This can't be true. Existing customers are already being invited to June 5 launch parties. Doesn't this already contradict the claim?

It also can't be true because, to prevent a customer relations catastrophe, Sprint would have had to clarify who could and who could not buy the Pre on June 6 when it made the June 6 announcement. Here's the announcement. This isn't in the announcement.

Boy these rumors are getting wild.
    Your post makes a lot of sense, but it's Sprint we're talking about here. I really hope you're right and you've given me some confidence, but we'll have to wait and see(this seems to be the answer to everything, doesn't it.)
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The fine print at the bottom of Sprint's Palm Pre page says this: "Upgrade: Existing customers in good standing with service on the same device for more than 22 consecutive months currently activated on a service plan of $39.99 or higher may be eligible." Presumably, Premier customers have only a one-year wait period.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    However, it may be that some store managers want to do things this way, despite Sprint policy, in a misguided attempt to boost subscriptions and look better to corporate. The solution is to just find another Sprint store. The rumor is false.
    Quote Originally Posted by mopak View Post

I just got that from mine too and they said it was handed down to them by corporate. I mean, the easiest thing is to cancel your line and re-open it quite possibly? If people wanna buy it out right, they should be able to though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast