Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yea.....thought about a new line for about a month or so...then cancel that line ...tranfer the PRE to my main line...

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    No customers willing to purchase under the terms will be turned away.
    And those terms would be... let's see if I can find it... oh yeah, here it is:

Use of selected data plans will be required.

This is been cussed, discused, and recussed for weeks. I can't imagine that anyone at this point is really surprised.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I've thought about this as well. Just buy the phone with a new line, "upgrade" my current line to an Everything Data plan, swap the ESN to my current (upgraded) line, then cancel the "new" line after 30 days (to get the MIR processed). Total price would be:

$200 after MIR for the Pre on a new line
    $70 for a month's worth of service on the new line
    $175 ETF
    Total: $445. That's about $100 less than just buying at retail.

But, it seems like Sprint would have figured this out and there'd be a catch somewhere. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed possible?
    I will be going this route as well since you save more money. But I thought service on a new line is only $20 a month? Do you guys think this will work?
    I'd have to say if they don't sell it out right ... developers might not want to create apps for it or just wait for a gsm unlocked version. Palm could learn something from google ... at the last conference google i/o 2009 they just gave away 4000 phones for developers to use. Though I'm guessing sprint is the one making the rules for now it would be a shame not to sell to someone who develops software for this new web os.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And those terms would be... let's see if I can find it... oh yeah, here it is:

Use of selected data plans will be required.

This is been cussed, discused, and recussed for weeks. I can't imagine that anyone at this point is really surprised.
    No no no no, that's NOT what we're talking about. Sprint seems to be telling some people that even if they have the requisite data plan, they can't buy the Pre if they're not an UPGRADE (or new) customer, meaning that they are eligible for the $75 or $150 upgrade discounts, EVEN IF YOU DON'T MIND PAYING FULL RETAIL PRICE.

So let's say your contract was up 3 months ago and you picked up a Treo Pro because you figured, "hey, I want the Pre enough to pay full retail, and I need a phone now, so I'll just re-up now, making sure I have the right data plan, and then get the Pre when it comes out."

These guys are saying that Sprint will NOT sell you a Pre at full retail price under those conditions, which is so mind-blowingly stupid, I'm not surprised it didn't register with you the first time you read through this thread, since you're a fairly intelligent individual.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by azn185guy View Post
    I'd have to say if they don't sell it out right ... developers might not want to create apps for it or just wait for a gsm unlocked version. Palm could learn something from google ... at the last conference google i/o 2009 they just gave away 4000 phones for developers to use. Though I'm guessing sprint is the one making the rules for now it would be a shame not to sell to someone who develops software for this new web os.
    Google has the funding (and available devices) to do this. Right now Palm doesn't have either! Would be a smart move though...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    The below was posted on Sprint's Buzzaboutwirelss.com. By twennywon.

So today I was informed by the sprint store, ecare and by calling sprint that the only way to obtain the Palm Pre is to upgrade a line that is eligible or add a new line or be a new customer. The phone will NOT be sold to existing customers for the $549, and there is no way to purchase the phone outright. I think this is BS doesn't sprint want to retain customers?

If this is true it changes the game and is B.S.
    I don't know if it is true, but none of the admin has stepped up to say it wasn't.
    Shadrap, just to clear up any possible confusion, do you already have a Data Everything plan?
    This sounds pretty crazy, and I would imagine it's not true. If it is, there are going to be some very angry customers come Saturday. I'm just thankful I'm at least eligible for the $75 upgrade, so hopefully I won't have any issues either way.
    I'm hoping this is just conjecture and speculation. If I can't upgrade, in all honesty, **** it.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Yes, I have everything data. I am just re-posting what was posted on Sprint's Buzzaboutwireless Forum. I saw it and thought, Oh crap. I am still waiting for confirmation either way, but none of the Sprint Admin has denied it.
    I think we are getting confused here. What sprint is (or may be) saying is that you can't buy a pre without signing up for another 2 years, not that you can't buy one period. I am only 3 months into my contract, and I was just informed by Ecare (less than 8 hours ago) that I will be able to purchase one, with the MIR and the instant savings. Even without a $75 or $150 upgrade discount, the Pre would cost $349 for any sprint customer, as long as they are willing to sign up for a new contract. All they are saying is that you have to sign (or resign) the contract to get the phone, and will not allow off contract sales. sounds pretty reasonable to me, expecially in light of their exclusivity agreement.
    ^ If you are correct, it's only half as stupid as I thought and I'll still get it. If I'm told that I have to wait another month or two to upgrade and get the Pre, then **** it and the new iPhone it is, I wouldn't want to stay with Sprint and then have this same nonsense pulled next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr dave is a nerd View Post
    I think we are getting confused here. What sprint is (or may be) saying is that you can't buy a pre without signing up for another 2 years, not that you can't buy one period. I am only 3 months into my contract, and I was just informed by Ecare (less than 8 hours ago) that I will be able to purchase one, with the MIR and the instant savings. Even without a $75 or $150 upgrade discount, the Pre would cost $349 for any sprint customer, as long as they are willing to sign up for a new contract. All they are saying is that you have to sign (or resign) the contract to get the phone, and will not allow off contract sales. sounds pretty reasonable to me, expecially in light of their exclusivity agreement.
    Again, if they have a limited number of phones, it makes sense for them to not sell the phone to people except for new activations. That and churn is what wall street pays attention to.

If you arew an existing AT&T sub or whoever and really want the phone but can't get one because an existing sub in contract paid more money for it, there is a pretty dceent chance you might wait until AT&T gets it. That is the worst case for Sprint, so if they have limited availability, they should be trying to prioritize these new adds. It's the right thing to do from a financial POV.

The best way to solve this is more production and lots of units at launch! I sure hope Sprint is biting the bullet and shipping units via air from the manufacturer. That costs a lot more money but could help avoid some of these issues.

But Sprint sure seems to be botching it.
    Are you sure about this? Because I was told that the rebates were for new customers only, or for existing customers who were due for the 22-Month, $150 upgrade. I've talked to several Sprint people about this, and all of them have told me the same thing. Nowhere have I heard that everyone will be getting the $200 in rebates regardless of contract status.
    This actually makes sense (with the possible exception of the pricing). Forcing you to re-up for another two years isn't so bad. I'm relieved, assuming this is the truth--we may not know until Saturday, but this view of things seems to fit better.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I too heard many conflicting things from phone support, online support, and sprint stores. So I emailed customer care. I found that I usually get accurate info via email, as they have time to fully research before contacting you again, as opposed to throwing out an answer to shut you up. I explained my frustration at not knowing how much this little toy is going to cost, and asked them for a researched, accurate, and definative reply. Anyway, I was told that the $200 rebates will apply to all people who sign up for an aditional two years, whether new or old. The only variable for existing customers is that we don't get the "New Customer" rebate of $150. Instead, we get whatever upgrade credit we qualify for, whether 0, 75, or 150. You can check your upgrade credit by logging onto sprint.com. Well, that is what sprint told me very clearly, and that's what I'm going on. good luck on Pre-Day, I'm sure we all hope I'm right
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Two Sprint reps who seemed really knowledgeable told me that this rumor is not true. I went to a store and asked a bunch of questions. See my complete write-up.
    This is bull corn, I was told if you're purchasing outright, they don't care.
    All I am going to say is everyone here wants the device and Sprint has essentially told us in a round about way that there will be shortages. My guess is not everyone is going to be able to buy it. If they tell you it is out of stock, you can't buy it outright or whatever the reason there will be people sent home without a phone.

Get used to the notion because they already said there would be limited availability at release. People that think they are going to wander by later in the afternoon and pick up a phone are nuts.
    I too heard many conflicting things from phone support, online support, and sprint stores. So I emailed customer care. I found that I usually get accurate info via email, as they have time to fully research before contacting you again, as opposed to throwing out an answer to shut you up. I explained my frustration at not knowing how much this little toy is going to cost, and asked them for a researched, accurate, and definative reply. Anyway, I was told that the $200 rebates will apply to all people who sign up for an aditional two years, whether new or old. The only variable for existing customers is that we don't get the "New Customer" rebate of $150. Instead, we get whatever upgrade credit we qualify for, whether 0, 75, or 150. You can check your upgrade credit by logging onto sprint.com. Well, that is what sprint told me very clearly, and that's what I'm going on. good luck on Pre-Day, I'm sure we all hope I'm right
    That's interesting, because it's definitely not what I was told. I was told the only people who qualify for the rebates were new customers and those up for their $150 2-year upgrade. I think I'll be visiting the Sprint store this week sometime to get some clarification, because I definitely don't want to get screwed out of $200 if I'm eligible for it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast