Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    except to those people that love and rely on visual voicemail.
    Amen to that. ATT service sucks compared to Sprint in my area. I have a Treo 755p and an iPhone. Was hoping to go back to just one phone with the Pre... but Visual Voicemail is now such an important way I do business that I will tolerate (relatively) bad service just to have that feature.

So it is the Palm 755p that is now being retired. Disappointed but still hoping this will be corrected soon.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    It's quite early to be hating something that isn't even in any customer hands yet, that being said there are some decent gripes that are beginning to emerge.

The ones I agree with are (if it's true) no alarm clock and weather app, both of which I used constantly on my iPhone. I always use my phone to wake me up because phones from 10 years ago had this feature and I decided alarm clocks (the physical object) were a thing of the past. Also I'm a bit sad that Google Transit won't be in the Google Maps app at the start, but I can just use the website for this so that isn't a huge issue.

The other bit I'll miss is data & voice at the same time, the other gripe would be the bit where you can't use your phone when plugged into a usb port.

Otherwise this phone looks fantastic, I don't even mind switching to Sprint! I'm coming from a broken iPhone (using a old Samsung now) on AT&T with what is perhaps the worst 3G reliability known to man!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    But you cannot infer from that Palm is anywhere near as as good at supporting its customers as Apple when history has shown that they do not. It's still the same company with many of the same leaders including the CEO who presided over the let-screw-our-customers era. How much do you really think they've changed?
    The operative phrase is "cannot infer." You are also engaged in inference.

Rubinstein stated that he replaced most of the engineers and most of the culture and that he has brought with him a new (unstated) marketing strategy. There is even a new phone that's generating a lot of excitement. There is enough newness in the air for one to heed some timeless investor wisdom:

Past performance is not indicative of future returns.
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    The operative phrase is "cannot infer." You are also engaged in inference.

Rubinstein stated that he replaced most of the engineers and most of the culture and that he has brought with him a new (unstated) marketing strategy. There is even a new phone that's generating a lot of excitement. There is enough newness in the air for one to heed some timeless investor wisdom:

Past performance is not indicative of future returns.
    Rubinstein did replace some engineers (I'm not sure where you heard "most"). But Rubinstein and the engineers do not run Palm. They have nothing to do with how Palm treats its customers. They just make the phone (and they've made a good one). Just because some folks in engineering have changed do you think that's going to cause the president / CEO and other top execs to say "we were completely wrong before and we nearly ran the company into the ground so I guess we'll change?" Or are they going serve themselves by saying there was nothing wrong with their business practices they just needed a good product and that's all that matters? The fact that they still have their jobs shows you that Palm's board believes there's nothing wrong with how they ran the company before so why do you think they'll change now when that would make them look bad?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    [...] so why do you think they'll change now when that would make them look bad?
    You appear to be making an incorrect assumption. I don't "think they'll change," and I doubt many people here do either. Instead, I'm hoping for change. I'm reserving judgment and accepting the risks.

If you're arguing against a supposed knowledge on our part that Palm has turned around, you're arguing with yourself. Few here make that claim. I certainly don't.

You're the one making inferences and drawing conclusions. We're simply excited about a possible future. You're making a claim about that future, not us. Don't confuse excitement with certainty.

BTW, a troll is a person with an unbending agenda, who fights any possibility of being wrong or looking mistaken or showing understanding. I was feeling hopeful for you, but now I'm starting to wonder. Don't be a troll.
    Troll (Internet)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]
    Technically #1 is possible but it would be way more trouble than it's worth on Sprint's current network. No, despite the rumors the Instinct cannot do this. We'll have to wait for Wimax for this.
    I have seen a treo pro on sprint surf the internet while on a phone call. And before anyone wonders, the cache was cleared and all temporary files were deleted. If it is not possible on Sprint then this makes me wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I have seen a treo pro on sprint surf the internet while on a phone call. And before anyone wonders, the cache was cleared and all temporary files were deleted. If it is not possible on Sprint then this makes me wonder.
    you left off that it was on WIFI
    LOL! I actually agree with you, Derek. I am playing devil's advocate here, but I am a Pre fan myself.

But I am not a fanboy. What I mean is that I will not give Palm a free pass on this one after their history. And I hope you won't either. If there are problems with the Pre (and there are), they should a better job of fixing them and supporting their customers than they have in the past.
    Nobody gets a free pass. I personally have never had any problems with the five Palm devices I've owned, nor the three Sprint phones I've owned (two of those three being Palm devices as well). If the Pre is a dud, or if just my Pre is a dud, I'll raise holy hell, but only if it's not taken care of.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post

(9) Paid-off reviews - The only production model reviews I've seen are glowing and were done in a PreCentral forum. How much were you paid for this review? (Sorry for the jab, but your accusation merits the response.)

(10) Palm fanboys - The Palm Pre will have problems. It's just that no one can talk yet. Your tone alone labels you more emotional than rational, so you're probably being a fanboy yourself. It's human nature.
    Owned.

carl is
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    you left off that it was on WIFI
    If I remember correctly wifi was not on. Unless it comes on automatically when it cannot find a data connection. Plus I have yet to be able to log in to our offices wifi because they haven't set it up for that use. I guess his phone could have caught a rogue signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    If I remember correctly wifi was not on. Unless it comes on automatically when it cannot find a data connection. Plus I have yet to be able to log in to our offices wifi because they haven't set it up for that use. I guess his phone could have caught a rogue signal.
    The term EVDO is an acronym for EVolution, Data Only. The term EVDV stands for EVolution, Data & Voice. Sprint's EVDO network is physically incapable of simultaneous use of voice and data unless the voice portion is VOIP, which Sprint does not use. The "rogue wifi link" theory is a plausible one - the "Sprint network supports simultaneous voice and data" is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    So, clipcarl, are you going to buy your Pre from BB or Sprint?
    roflmfao
    Things I Hate:

1. That its being released on Sprint, rather than a GSM carrier.
    2. The Centr-esque keyboard
    3. That Synergy pulls in all contacts and you cannot control which ones to pull in.
    4. That you must have a 'palm profile' to use it
    5. That you can't save to the device. You can open, or stream only.
    6. Fingerprint magnet
    7. That there are no arrow keys-any navigating at all would involve touching the screen.
    8. No video recording (out of the box)
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The term EVDO is an acronym for EVolution, Data Only. The term EVDV stands for EVolution, Data & Voice. Sprint's EVDO network is physically incapable of simultaneous use of voice and data unless the voice portion is VOIP, which Sprint does not use. The "rogue wifi link" theory is a plausible one - the "Sprint network supports simultaneous voice and data" is not.
    It turned out it was a rogue wifi link for his treo pro. Anyway, from what I have seen is that sprint's network can support it they just choose to disable it.
    I've been a Palm user since the days of the Palm Pilot Pro. Can't even remember how many Palms I've had, the Treo 700 being my last before my Palm Pre. I was amazed by the sleek features and functions on the Pre. I'm still going to remain optimistic, but I do have my gripes:

1. Buggy hardware! I should not have to shake my phone to wake it up. Then again, it shouldn't go black and refuse to wake up after I hang up a phone call.

2. No recurring tasks??????

3. Terrible Palm support. I've never had a problem with the Sprint folks, but the Palm support team is awful. Yes, it's outsourced. But at least hire people who know what they are talking about. If they had, I wouldn't be returning my phone to Sprint tomorrow to get a new one. It was working sort of fine until the ***** at Palm support had me do something which killed the phone.

4. Phone had a mind of its own. After charging it earlier this week, the Pre decided to delete all my downloaded apps on its own. Fortunately, it reinstalled all those apps, but two of them were never the same, as their icons never reappeared in my Launcher. Which is what I called Palm support about today in the first place!

5. Non-reacting Launcher icons. More times than I can remember, I had to turn the phone off and on again because icons in my Launcher refused to launch when touched.

Visual voicemail? I don't quite see that as a necessary item. Using the phone while connected as a USB drive? That's the same for any item you connect to the computer as a drive. Piggyback two laptops, using one as a hard drive, and you can't use that piggybacked laptop as a laptop. The other issues don't affect me.

I do understand the need to blow off steam. I think that the forums are an appropriate place, since you're among fellow users here. Don't blow the poor guy off just because he's frustrated.

On a side note, LOL Derek!!!
    Talk about digging threads up out of the grave.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast