Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    LOL! I actually agree with you, Derek. I am playing devil's advocate here, but I am a Pre fan myself.

But I am not a fanboy. What I mean is that I will not give Palm a free pass on this one after their history. And I hope you won't either. If there are problems with the Pre (and there are), they should a better job of fixing them and supporting their customers than they have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    1. I hate that the Pre isn't out yet.

2. I hate that the Pre is going to make all of my iPhone-wielding friends so jealous that they won't be my friends anymore.

3. I hate that the Pre has restored my faith in Palm and taken a company off of my "To mock for squandering own success" list.

4. I hate that the Pre is going to take up so much of my time being awesome that I won't be able to eat or sleep.

5. I hate that the Pre is so small that random strangers won't gawk at me when I'm using it.

6. I hate that the Pre is a slider and will continue to stun strangers into silence every time I open it.

7. I hate that the Pre will give me the full internet and give me fewer excuses to not look things up for friends.

8. I hate that the Pre has a mirror on the back and will remind me of Roger McNamee's flapping maw every time I look at the back.

9. I hate that the Pre's camera is good enough for me to not justify carrying a full camera with me everywhere I go.

10. I hate that the Pre is so smooth and riverstone-like that I'll be tempted to skip it across a pond, only to lose it into its murky depths.

There, I feel better now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Yes the Amazon MP3's can be downloaded over EDVO despite those here that were saying contracts with the music providers prevented it. Despite Apple allowing it <rolls eyes>
    People here are saying that because the user manual says it's not possible. If you have any other information, by all means, share.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessh2036 View Post
    you make some pretty valid points, like the USB and Visual Voicemail i def agree with, but AT&T is not great for everybody. For me its horrible, and everyone I know that has sprint says its great. And the iphone had a lot of problems the first go around and NO app store, so give the Pre a year and see how well there app store is.
    Truthfully, I like Sprint even if they have some problems. That's why I've been a Sprint customer for the last 13 years and am now a Premier customer. I'm rooting for Sprint because in my opinion they suck less than AT&T and Verizon. T-Mobile's pretty good too. AT&T is just terrible and their 3G "coverage" is a joke and Verizon is just too expensive for what they give you. (I've phones on every carrier at one point in time or another.)
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Other bad things about the Pre:

1. Can't download or surf internet while talking on the phone.
    2. Sprint won't let music be downloaded over 3G.
    3. Storage too small.
    4. No onscreen typing option. Don't tell me someone will develop it. Who knows when or if that will happen or if any good. Trying typing in landscape mode.
    Yeah, I missed these.

Technically #1 is possible but it would be way more trouble than it's worth on Sprint's current network. No, despite the rumors the Instinct cannot do this. We'll have to wait for Wimax for this.

#2 is not true. Despite what the manual says, you can download music over 3G.

I meant to add #3 to my list myself but I forgot. The fact that the storage is so small really causes you to run into the can't-use-phone-while-USB-drive problem because you're constantly having to add different add and remove media to the phone because it's not big enough to hold your entire collection. Palm's reason that they didn't add a micro-SD because they couldn't fit it is complete BS. They only reason they did it is because they want you to have to buy a new phone next year. Apple might be able to get away with that, but Palm is no Apple.

As for #4... After having used both physical keyboards and on-screen keyboards extensively I will be perfectly happy if I never see an on-screen keyboard again in my life.

Carl
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    2. Sprint:Considering how many people know about the phone at this point, 20 per store is more then sufficient. And as sprint said, "More will come in every day."
    Are you serious? You think 20 per store is reasonable?

4. Can't Use the Phone While Using the Pre as a USB Drive: It's a CLOUD device. No syncing required.
    Nope. The Pre is a cloud device, but believe me you can't sync media (music, photos, videos, etc.) or documents from the cloud. The closest you can come is saving attachments from email or MMS. Trust me, you don't want to try syncing your movies that way. No, using the USB drive option is the only way to get that stuff on there.

5. No Visual Voicemail:Easily remedied by a future app. But honestly, are you that lazy to press 7 to delete?
    Obviously you've never used Visual Voicemail extensively. This is a huge disappointment.

9. Paid-off Bloggers and Reviewers: Welcome to the 21st Century. EVERYONE IS DOING IT.

10. Blog Reading Palm Fanboy Apologists: Every company has its fanboys. Honestly, Apple's are the worst.
    Agreed!
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    The USB mode thing really bothers me. I charge my phone 100% of the time via USB. I wonder if you use a USB car charger, etc if it will shut off the phone. This one really concerns me. Shouldn't be a big deal to let the phone ring and if you answer, it turns of USB mode.
    Sorry if I didn't communicate what I was saying effectively. You can in fact charge via USB while still using the phone. (As an added bonus the USB cable plugs in at a spot that doesn't get in the way of your hands while typing!) It's just while transferring files between the device and your computer that you can't use the phone or SMS.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    A miraculous turn around, imo. Luckily, I guess, there were generally favorable reviews of the post 700-series products.

wow. Every time I think about that "era," I'm floored that Palm still exists.
    Completely agree.

Carl
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    What do these have to do with why you hate the phone itself? More like, 6 things I hate about the pre...
    Very true. But I couldn't think of 10 things I hate solely about the Pre so I had to stretch it a bit!
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    I see complaints about a carrier and about things that will be addressed in updates. ...
    That's the thing Palm has a long history of not addressing problems in updates. They simply want you to buy a new phone. What makes you think it will be any different this time?
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    So, clipcarl, are you going to buy your Pre from BB or Sprint?
    LOL! ;-) I suggest everyone get there early if you want one!
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    See how "well" their app store is?
    You can't compare things now when everyone has an app store to back when the iPhone debuted and no one had an app store. Having an app store is part of the ante now and it's fair to compare to compare it with the competitors.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    you are comparing apples to palm fruit.
    the old PALM died. This is new PALM.
    you have a valid point about SPRINT employees.
    OTOH Do you really care about Visual voicemail?
    I'll respond to this the same way I've responded to all such rants: I agree, at least as far as anyone in the San Fernando Valley region outside of LA is concerned. You will NOT like the Pre, so don't buy it. Not worth your time or money.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I can only agree with about 3 of those, but I won't waste my time.

I would like to take a second to laugh at #9. According to blogs like Gizmodo and Crunchgear, the iPhone has no flaws and the Pre sucks before they can even review it...somehow this is a Pre flaw?

Horrible, imo.
    You're right, that is not solely a Palm or Pre flaw. But by comparison, Apple in large part gets positive reviews by making a kick-*** device (even with its flaws) where every reviewer can see the cool innovative stuff. Palm has in the past managed to get equally great reviews on devices that were far inferior to the competition. Draw your own conclusions.

It's like when GTA IV came out and everyone was shocked because it got completely perfect scores from every single major game site on the net. If you looked at the top 20 (I think?) review sites, not one of them gave it any points off. Does anyone really think that GTA IV was really the one and only completely perfect game of all time?

I personally prefer it when products get good reviews because they are in fact good, not because the companies producing them seemingly decided that buying good reviews was a good investment.

Do I think that Palm ever did that? Who knows... Maybe they just caught all those reviewers in a really great mood!
  15.    #75  
    Well spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    (1) Palm - Rubinstein claims to have completely overhauled Palm, both people and culture.

(2) Sprint - I have stayed with Sprint because I have had nothing but fantastic customer service with them. I wanted an iPhone way back when but had a really bad experience with AT&T so won't touch them. (I'm a Premier customer.)

(3) Sprint employees - I cannot recall having a bad experience with any Sprint employee. Obviously, this is a function of store and employee.

(4) Phone while USB - This will be remedied in a hurry by 3rd parties. My iPod Touch is a wireless network drive.

(5) Visual voicemail - Who cares. Most of my messages are by email and text. Seems to be a trend to call first, and if that fails to connect, then send an email.

(6) USB questionnaire - Dunno about this one. Reserving judgment until I try.

(7) Alarm clock / weather app - The Goat reports that AccuWeather is already in the app store. The alarm clock app is probably so easy any web developer could write it.

(8) No public SDK - Patience. They are sparing themselves a black eye. Palm's whole gamble is that they'll have more/happier developers than Apple in a hurry.

(9) Paid-off reviews - The only production model reviews I've seen are glowing and were done in a PreCentral forum. How much were you paid for this review? (Sorry for the jab, but your accusation merits the response.)

(10) Palm fanboys - The Palm Pre will have problems. It's just that no one can talk yet. Your tone alone labels you more emotional than rational, so you're probably being a fanboy yourself. It's human nature.

What's got you by the collar, anyway?
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    Man, those must've been terrible times...terrible in fact that most of their loyalists are that in fact...LOYALISTS!! Palm couldn't have been THAT bad. Either way, since i'm new to palm products (pre will be my first), Palm will be having a clean slate with me, hehe!!
    Then I hope for your sake (and mine) that Palm's culture of screwing their customers has truly changed.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    you are comparing apples to palm fruit.
    the old PALM died. This is new PALM.
    you have a valid point about SPRINT employees.
    OTOH Do you really care about Visual voicemail?
    Yeah, they keep saying that they've changed. I for one am not going to believe that they've changed just because they promise things will be different this time. They'll have to show me that they've stopped screwing their own customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Yeah, they keep saying that they've changed. I for one am not going to believe that they've changed just because they promise things will be different this time. They'll have to show me that they've stopped screwing their own customers.
    They'll show you by people buying the product and hopefully raving about it! I've played with a demo unit myself and its quite stable and it pretty much blows the iPhone away in its current form. Also about your statement of Apple making a device with good features, I consider it a bait-and-switch personally. I am leaving my iPhone 3G because it worked great for the first month or so but it was all downhill from there in terms of software stability and speed. Fresh installs of the OS fixed it temporarily but I thought that was a total waste of my time. I love my Macintosh but the iPhone is essentially something thats nice when its working but is lacking essential features, especially reliability.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Well spoken.
    You definitely got me on this one. I'm nearly out of patience.
  20.    #80  
    Agreed. The Pre is better than the iPhone and the iPhone is not perfect. But you cannot infer from that Palm is anywhere near as as good at supporting its customers as Apple when history has shown that they do not. It's still the same company with many of the same leaders including the CEO who presided over the let-screw-our-customers era. How much do you really think they've changed?

Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    They'll show you by people buying the product and hopefully raving about it! I've played with a demo unit myself and its quite stable and it pretty much blows the iPhone away in its current form. Also about your statement of Apple making a device with good features, I consider it a bait-and-switch personally. I am leaving my iPhone 3G because it worked great for the first month or so but it was all downhill from there in terms of software stability and speed. Fresh installs of the OS fixed it temporarily but I thought that was a total waste of my time. I love my Macintosh but the iPhone is essentially something thats nice when its working but is lacking essential features, especially reliability.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast