Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Visual voicemail is so blown out of proportion.
    except to those people that love and rely on visual voicemail.
    1. Palm: Every company has had a few missteps (Apple Newton, Nintendo Virtual Boy, Microsoft Bob, etc.)

2. Sprint:Considering how many people know about the phone at this point, 20 per store is more then sufficient. And as sprint said, "More will come in every day."

3. Sprint Employees: It's a Sprint store, not a Palm store.

4. Can't Use the Phone While Using the Pre as a USB Drive: It's a CLOUD device. No syncing required.

5. No Visual Voicemail:Easily remedied by a future app. But honestly, are you that lazy to press 7 to delete?

6. Questionnaire When Plugging in USB: READ: CLOUD DEVICE. And I hate devices that connect and automatically do something I didn't want. And iTunes sucks.

7. No Alarm Clock or Weather App: APP STORE FTW!

8. No Public SDK: Yay, no fart apps at launch! But they will release one later.

9. Paid-off Bloggers and Reviewers: Welcome to the 21st Century. EVERYONE IS DOING IT.

10. Blog Reading Palm Fanboy Apologists: Every company has its fanboys. Honestly, Apple's are the worst.

How you like them apples*?

*no pun intended
    Last edited by LightofHonor; 05/31/2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I agree with 3, 5, and 7.

3. Sprint Employees do suck, but if you call enough times you finally get someone with common sense.
    5. VVM is awesome and once you use it you do not want to go back.
    7. The cheapest phones on the market have Alarm Clocks, but like state before there is a weather app.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    These I can agree with. Except I thought I saw someone post that the Instinct allowed surfing while talking, so that contrary to the claims, it is possible on Sprint. Also, I thought we had someone successfully download a Yahoo MP3 over the air.

Its not possible on Sprint.

Yes the Amazon MP3's can be downloaded over EDVO despite those here that were saying contracts with the music providers prevented it. Despite Apple allowing it <rolls eyes>
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    You've heard the good. Now here is an article about what is wrong with the Pre. Actually, the Pre is a great device and Sprint is a decent carrier. But, as always, even good things have a dark side so here's my attempt to throw some light on the things to hate about the Palm Pre. This is a discussion. Please feel free to agree, disagree or add items of your own.
    Some fair points in there.

Mostly, after the 700p fiasco, Palm is lucky that any of us ever even looks in their general direction.

Anyway, I've got my fingers crossed.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I see no point in making these complaints here. If you think there are so many problems with the Pre, just don't buy it. Leaves more in the supply for the rest of us.

I absolutely love how everyone has such strong emotions over a phone they haven't even touched. You've gone on an entire tirade over things, but have over looked the fact that this isn't the iPhone, it's the Palm Pre. If that list is truly you're list of requirements, go find a phone that fits it, and be happy with your iPhone.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Visual voicemail is so blown out of proportion.
    If people have the hots for visual voice mail it is available now thru a 3rd party.

Google for it.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    If people have the hots for visual voice mail it is available now thru a 3rd party.

Google for it.
    Sure for $6 a month (spinvox) and .20 cents a minute to forward the call from Sprint. MUCH better than including on a POS device like the Instinct but not on the flag ship device like the Pre.

Smart selling there Palm / Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
    I see no point in making these complaints here. If you think there are so many problems with the Pre, just don't buy it. Leaves more in the supply for the rest of us.
    I guess most folks think that anyone who's interested in discussing the negatives, despite generally having a positive outlook on a given topic, is a stick-in-the-mud.

I don't share that point-of-view, at all. To use a somewhat personal example, I've got family members that I love t'death... but whose flaws sometimes annoy me to the point that I want to rant about them or discuss them with someone.

That doesn't mean I don't love that family member anymore and it certainly doesn't mean I ought to just up and leave the family... or the city... or this country, for that matter (depending on your preferred analogy).

Quote Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
    I absolutely love how everyone has such strong emotions over a phone they haven't even touched.
    There's a flip-side to that.

Plenty of people have very strong positive feelings about this phone, despite never having "even touched" it. But I don't see too many folks complaining that an entire forum ... an entire community is devoted to that product.

Obviously, you're entitled to feel however you feel. Just thought I'd offer a different perspective. My two cents, if you will.

Feel free to give it right back, if you like.
    Last edited by west3man; 05/31/2009 at 08:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Mostly, after the 700p fiasco, Palm is lucky that any of us ever even looks in their general direction.
    They did lose me there, for probably two years. I found myself refusing to text on a regular phone and wanting memo ability to jot down my brilliant ideas as they come. People weren't complaining about the Centro, so I bought one, and that's where I am for a few more days.
    did I get the url wrong or is this ilounge.com? Even if there were points I somewhat agreed with, I give zero credit due to the source that if I remember correctly has trolled habitually.

I manage about 15 phones on Sprint and have great service be it the actual service or customer service.

The 700 was not palm's greatest moment, but the Centro was a nice comeback/last ditch OS effort.

What OS does everything you exactly want it to when it's first launched? Pretty much none. Granted something like a basic alarm clock should be a standard program, but so should a file browser and other things that seem to be a bit overlooked, and I'm sure they will get solved via a 3rd party or an OTA update. Or should I say I have faith for a change that these things will get solved.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    You've heard the good. Now here is an article about what is wrong with the Pre. Actually, the Pre is a great device and Sprint is a decent carrier. But, as always, even good things have a dark side so here's my attempt to throw some light on the things to hate about the Palm Pre. This is a discussion. Please feel free to agree, disagree or add items of your own.

Opinion - Ten Things I Hate about the New Palm Pre

1. Palm - Previously, Palm figured they didn't need to keep their talented engineers and leaders and allowed many of them to leave. The result is Palm now has a reputation for delivering products that are buggy and of poor quality. Remember the 700p (see below)? Remembers not being able to play music or run apps without stuttering or crashing the device? Remember phone radios that sounded awful and dropped connections? Remember bluetooth radios that wouldn't connect to your headset or stay connected? Remember not getting any kind of response from Palm about the issues with that and other Palm models? Remember how it takes forever for Palm to put out an update to fix problems? Remember how those update rarely actually fix the problem and sometimes actually make things worse? Remember batteries that last only half a day? Remember non-standard expensive accessories? Remember how Palm's attitude seemed to always be: "You're having problems with your Palm phone? We say it's perfect the way it is so we won't fix it but hey, we have a new $650 phone coming out soon so you should pay full price for that one and you might get the features you were led to expect when we sold you this one. We promise you'll like it!" Palm's deathwatch has been going on for so long and there is so much negativity associated with Palm now they probably should have changed their name, reorganized and billed it as a completely new company.
    2. Sprint - Could any carrier mismanage a phone launch more than Sprint? I don't think so. Only 20 phones at some stores and none at others? You must be joking. If they needed to be firm with Palm and delay the launch past June if Palm can't deliver reasonable numbers they should have. By allowing a launch with such a low number of phones Sprint is asking to be bad-mouthed all over the internet and will create many pissed of hopeful early adopters. Do you like how months ago they promised Premier customers early access to the Pre as a reward for our loyalty? Then did you like how the "early access to new phones" verbiage mysteriously disappeared from the Premier benefits page? I guess they decided my 13 years as a customer doesn't deserve to be rewarded after all nor am I party-worthy. Do you like how they don't give their own employees enough information to pass on to customers so that we can make informed buying decisions? A week before launch and some stores don't know if they'll be selling the phone at all or what customers will have to do to get one. Pathetic. Letting it get out that they only have an exclusive on the Pre for six months is unfathomably stupid from a business standpoint. Who's going to switch to Sprint from their preferred carrier and be a beta-tester for a brand new phone and a brand new OS when they know they'll be able to get an updated version of the Pre and WebOS on Verizon and AT&T before Christmas? Nobody. Especially when people know there will be other less expensive WebOS phones available even sooner to choose from. This really looks to be a no-win scenario in which Sprint finds itself. Sprint get to deal with all of the pain of a brand new Phone and a brand new OS and the other carriers get to reap the rewards in just a few months. Couple that with other bad decisions like backing Wimax when everyone else on the planet is backing LTE and it's possible Sprint may not be long for this world.
    3. Sprint Employees - They generally know nothing, are unhelpful and are often downright rude. The Apple Stores might be for wannabe elitist snobs, but they are always very helpful, very polite and very knowledgeable. Sprint probably can't afford to pay the extra $2 an hour to upgrade their staff so if Palm wants to have customer satisfaction like Apple's they need to have Palm employees in every store that sells their products at all times. (To be fair Sprint employees are in my experience not appreciably worse than those at other phone companies. They all suck.) Apple is in a class by itself here.
    4. Can't Use the Phone While Using the Pre as a USB Drive - This is a real shocker. When the Pre is connected to your computer as a USB drive for some inexplicable reason you can't use the Phone features. This wouldn't be so bad if you never had to connect to your computer as a USB drive but on the Pre you have to because there is no other way to manage your music, videos, photos and documents. Palm seems to have forgotten that this is a phone aimed at professionals and "prosumers." For many of these folks, missing phone calls means losing money and they are not going to be pleased to find out they didn't land that big deal because they didn't get that important call while they were copying TPS reports to the Pre. Some professionals, including I, never ever turn turn their phone off if they can help it. And I know there are many young people who will freak out when figure out that spending any time managing media on their phone means missing text messages from their friends and being out of the loop. How did this get past quality assurance?
    5. No Visual Voicemail - Anybody who's used Visual Voicemail knows how incredibly useful it is (especially for professionals). Being able to see and organize your messages easily and not having to go through voicemail menu prompts is huge. And being able to listen to messages even when the phone is off (for example on an airplane) is also huge. This feature is one of the game-changing features that made the iPhone so popular. Other Sprint phones have this feature so not having it in the Pre is just plain laziness and stupidity as far as I am concerned.
    6. Questionnaire When Plugging in USB - When plugging the Pre into a your computer's USB port you're expected to know in advance whether you are going to manage media via iTunes, manage media via USB drive mode or simply charge your phone. For an OS that clearly strives to be easy to use this is a definitely a puzzling step backwards. Why should I have to answer a questionnaire when I plug the Pre into my computer? I shouldn't: everything I want to do should just work at the same time. If necessary, the Pre should appear as multiple devices when plugged in so you can do what you want, when you want and without any silly and arbitrary mode switching.
    7. No Alarm Clock or Weather App - WTF? Aside from the phone app those are the two apps I use the most consistently on my phones. I am a professional and I travel a lot and for me my cell phone is my alarm clock. And because I travel so much I often need to check the weather so I am not surprised by it. Yes, I could just jump through a bunch of extra hoops and use the calendar app and reminders as a substitute for the alarm clock and I could use the web browser to get the weather but I shouldn't have to. Nor should I have to wait for (and pay for) a third party app in the App Catalog for this functionality. To me these are basic functions for any modern smartphone that is expected to be used by professionals. Even my Palm V back in the 90's had an alarm clock. How you can have smartphone that's supposed to be a personal organizer without these things is beyond me. There is at least an Accuweather app in the App Catalog but it should come on the device.
    8. No Public SDK - I'd like to believe that Palm is delaying the availability of the SDK because they want to minimize the number of pFart apps giving their device a bad name. Those and other crapware apps give Apple's otherwise excellent App Store a black eye and could do the same to Palm's App Catalog. But maybe that's not the reason. Given Palm's past maybe they figure that withholding the SDK means that fewer people will find out about the problems with the Pre until after they've already paid for it. This dovetails nicely with the virtually non-existent access honest and unbiased reviewers have been given to the phone. Whatever the reasons, not making the SDK available before hand means that there aren't going to be many apps in the app Catalog for a while so if you looking for something comparable to the Apple App Store or the Google Android Marketplace keep looking. By contrast, pretty much as soon as the T-Mobile G1 was available there were hundreds of apps to to choose from and many, many more were available within a couple of months. We don't have to worry about having many app choices with the Pre. And that scarcity means that you can expect to pay more for WebOS apps than those on other platforms for a while. This is especially annoying when you consider the basic features Palm left out of the Pre (see above).
    9. Paid-off Bloggers and Reviewers - Going by past history, you'll write glowing reviews of every strength yet you'll somehow manage to miss every glaring weakness. You'll sell out your readers who are counting on you to give an accurate and unbiased review for your own personal gain. You suck in the worst way.
    10. Blog Reading Palm Fanboy Apologists - You claim nothing is wrong and all is great in Palm land despite obvious signs otherwise. Grow a pair of balls (or the female equivalent) and hold the companies to which you give your hard earned cash accountable to actually give you something decent in return. If you are too weak to do that then shut up and get out of the way. Remember this thread about the problems with the Treo 700p? And this one? Despite obvious hardware and OS quality problems (that Palm now finally seems to admit to) you all screamed "No, No! Palm is great!" You people are the reason why Palm didn't respect their customers and released garbage products for so long.

PS: After my bad experience with my last Palm product (700p) I actually took the advice of those "Apologists." I threw away my Palm phone and bought a Motorola Q which I had no trouble with (though it wasn't spectacular). I later moved off Sprint altogether for my primary phone to an iPhone on T-Mobile. Sprint really didn't do anything wrong accept allow themselves to be associated with a crappy Palm product. That said, I've forgiven Sprint and Palm and am now going with the Pre mainly because I have enough disposable income that blowing $600 if I made a mistake isn't going hurt me. Has Palm changed for the better? Many signs point to yes. They've clearly decided to rehire some talented engineers and leaders and that's a very good sign. But some signs point to no: advertising the fact that the device syncs with iTunes without disclosing the fact that there is a very good chance that it won't work very soon is more like the old lie-to-the-customers-to-get-their-money Palm. Strictly limiting and controlling media exposure to the new device is more like the old Palm too (though many companies do this). Has Sprint changed for the better? I don't see any evidence of it though their commercials have definitely gotten better.
    If you want to complain so much, don't buy it! More for me. Granted Sprint Employees can be bad, but then don't go to a Sprint Corporate Store! Hell, I'll even direct you to a good one in the Bay Area if you asked real nicely.
    Overall, I think you have some valid points. It sounds like most of your issues are with Palm or Sprint and not the Pre itself though...

1) This sounds like a problem you have with Palm, not the Pre itself.

2) Only 20 phones per store has nothing to do with Sprint. They can only sell to the public what Palm sells to them. If it were up to Sprint they'd have 2 or 3 hundred per store (at least). The 6 month agreement isn't just Sprint's doing either, I'm sure Palm wouldn't give on this point...again, Palm issue. You are correct about S|P customers getting screwed! Again, your issue is more with Palm. None of these are against the Pre itself.

3) Since Palm doesn't have it's own stores like Apple does, having Palm employees in Sprint stores pushing & educating people on the Pre would be a FANTASTIC idea! Still, not an issue with the Pre itself.

4) This is disappointing! Along with the options of what type of sync that displays when you plug it in, an additional option should be available to "charge only". That way it could send/receive calls while plugged in. Definitely a PRE issue. To add to your statement, it not being able to make/receive calls while sending/receiving data is a BIG disappointment for a device that is so interwoven with the web. That's on Sprint though, not the Pre. webOS is capable of doing it. Sprint (like all CDMA carriers in the US) hasn't implemented it like some of their counterparts in Asia. For those who will flame on this statement, it IS possible for CDMA to do both data/voice at the same time. Again, it just isn't implemented by any of the carriers here in the US. Wikipedia "CDMA". (now I'M bringing up non-Pre issues!)

5) Another big disappointment with Sprint. I can't for the life of me figure out why they won't push this services. Still not a PRE issue though.

6) I agree with you 100% on this one, which would also make #4 moot!

7) Not having at least a basic alarm clock is ridiculous!!! I do remember seeing a weather app in either the launcher or App Store however, I believe it was free. Not so much of a Pre issue as it is a Palm decision issue, but I agree!

8) This is a HUGE mistake on Palm's part in my opinion. An OS is nothing without usable apps. I heard a rumor stating that it could be as far as August before it is released. preDevCamp's push back to August adds some validity to that, along with the Oreilly book being released around the same time. The Pre will get very stale very fast if new apps are constantly available. McNamee stated that "hundreds of developers" already have it, but later he said the App Store will only have 12 apps at launch. Something just doesn't add up there...

9) Everyone (Apple included) does this. Also not a PRE issue directly.

10) I think this statement hold some validity. I also think Palm entered a long period of "I'm already on top so I don't have to innovate", until Apple came along and showed them otherwise!!! Again though, not a Pre issue directly.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    The USB mode thing really bothers me. I charge my phone 100% of the time via USB. I wonder if you use a USB car charger, etc if it will shut off the phone. This one really concerns me. Shouldn't be a big deal to let the phone ring and if you answer, it turns of USB mode.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    The USB mode thing really bothers me. I charge my phone 100% of the time via USB. I wonder if you use a USB car charger, etc if it will shut off the phone. This one really concerns me. Shouldn't be a big deal to let the phone ring and if you answer, it turns of USB mode.
    When you plug into your computer with USB it give you the option to select Media Sync, USB Mode, or Just Charge. I would assume that plugging into a USB wall charger would give you nothing but a charging notification since it's not going to detect any data connection. Being plugged in via USB does not mean you're going to be forced into USB mode.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    1. I hate that the Pre isn't out yet.

2. I hate that the Pre is going to make all of my iPhone-wielding friends so jealous that they won't be my friends anymore.

3. I hate that the Pre has restored my faith in Palm and taken a company off of my "To mock for squandering own success" list.

4. I hate that the Pre is going to take up so much of my time being awesome that I won't be able to eat or sleep.

5. I hate that the Pre is so small that random strangers won't gawk at me when I'm using it.

6. I hate that the Pre is a slider and will continue to stun strangers into silence every time I open it.

7. I hate that the Pre will give me the full internet and give me fewer excuses to not look things up for friends.

8. I hate that the Pre has a mirror on the back and will remind me of Roger McNamee's flapping maw every time I look at the back.

9. I hate that the Pre's camera is good enough for me to not justify carrying a full camera with me everywhere I go.

10. I hate that the Pre is so smooth and riverstone-like that I'll be tempted to skip it across a pond, only to lose it into its murky depths.

There, I feel better now.
    Very funny, especially #10!!!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    4) This is disappointing! Along with the options of what type of sync that displays when you plug it in, an additional option should be available to "charge only". That way it could send/receive calls while plugged in. Definitely a PRE issue.
    Ummm ..... one of those choices on that he complains about in item #6 is to "charge only" so that you can still send/receive phone calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    They did lose me there, for probably two years. I found myself refusing to text on a regular phone and wanting memo ability to jot down my brilliant ideas as they come. People weren't complaining about the Centro, so I bought one, and that's where I am for a few more days.
    A miraculous turn around, imo. Luckily, I guess, there were generally favorable reviews of the post 700-series products.

wow. Every time I think about that "era," I'm floored that Palm still exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I guess most folks think that anyone who's interested in discussing the negatives, despite generally having a positive outlook on a given topic, is a stick-in-the-mud.

I don't share that point-of-view, at all. To use a somewhat personal example, I've got family members that I love t'death... but whose flaws sometimes annoy me to the point that I want to rant about them or discuss them with someone.

That doesn't mean I don't love that family member anymore and it certainly doesn't mean I ought to just up and leave the family... or the city... or this country, for that matter (depending on your preferred analogy).

There's a flip-side to that.

Plenty of people have very strong positive feelings about this phone, despite never having "even touched" it. But I don't see too many folks complaining that an entire forum ... an entire community is devoted to that product.

Obviously, you're entitled to feel however you feel. Just thought I'd offer a different perspective. My two cents, if you will.

Feel free to give it right back, if you like.
    Its interesting. I am actually pondering the role of the dissenter in a true forum for work. Its healthy to have a negative point of view.
    I think my issue is this:
    There is nothing creative about this post...it really re-hashes everything said before on this board since January. Let the dead horse rest.......
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Ummm ..... one of those choices on that he complains about in item #6 is to "charge only" so that you can still send/receive phone calls.
    Ooops...missed that! In that case, it's a non issue to me unless you can't send/receive while charging via USB. I'm sure that isn't the case though...
    Time to get VIRAL
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast