I was kinda hoping they would have a 4G version of the Pre at launch or soon after. Even if Sprint's 4G network is now technically only working in a few US cities, that would have still been a giant kick to the nads to about any phone/carrier out there.
    I imagine the 4G radio is still quite a bit more expensive than the regular 3G. Launching two versions is usually out of the question (multiple SKUs to support is a pain), so I'd imagine that until 4G grows a lot more than just "a few" cities, we'll only see 4G laptop cards.

/edit: for reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearwi...iMAX_Build_Out

Following up on its Portland launch, the company, on March 5th 2009, announced that it would expand its 4G WiMAX network to 9 additional markets in 2009 including: Atlanta, Las Vegas, Chicago, Charlotte, Dallas / Fort Worth, Honolulu, Philadelphia and Seattle with additional cities to be added in the future
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 05/31/2009 at 05:23 PM.
    and who's going to pay $20 (give or take) more per month for 4g service on the phone unless you can tether? Which is still just for limited use since you can't talk and do the net at the same time. So I can't see spending the extra dough for 4g on a phone. Don't see the price/benefit there.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    and who's going to pay $20 (give or take) more per month for 4g service on the phone unless you can tether? Which is still just for limited use since you can't talk and do the net at the same time. So I can't see spending the extra dough for 4g on a phone. Don't see the price/benefit there.
    4G allows voice & data at the same time.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    I don't want my calls going over 4G at this point. Just slap a WiMax radio in the next Pre in addition to the 3G radio and call it a day. I would pay another 20 bucks a month for 4G access.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Dan Hesse's Pre:

Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I was just remembering that when I went to bed. And I believe if a phone had both an EVDO and WIMAX radio, you could do voice over EVDO and data over WIMAX.

Either way, still not worth the extra dough IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    4G allows voice & data at the same time.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.