1.    #1  
    After spending almost 2 hours cleaning my Treo 755p contacts and moving them to the right category, I realized that the categories do not map with the google contacts groups. So, I felt like I wasted 2 long hours of my life for nothing. Until, I had an idea. Using Outlook contacts, I move each category to a contact folder and exported them a separate csv files. Then, in google contacts I chose the create new group for each file I imported. This way I kept my contacts organized by the categories I originally assigned them. I hope this helps to those who are making this transition to the cloud.

Question about memo notes from the Treo. So how do we synch these with the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    After spending almost 2 hours cleaning my Treo 755p contacts and moving them to the right category, I realized that the categories do not map with the google contacts groups. So, I felt like I wasted 2 long hours of my life for nothing. Until, I had an idea. Using Outlook contacts, I move each category to a contact folder and exported them a separate csv files. Then, in google contacts I chose the create new group for each file I imported. This way I kept my contacts organized by the categories I originally assigned them. I hope this helps to those who are making this transition to the cloud.

i love that your avatar matches your initial frustration.

glad you seem to have solved it.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I admire your persistence- I did something similar (syncing Address Book with Google Contacts incl. pics, groups, etc), but then I realized that the Palm Pre doesn't use groups. Yeah- I wasted a lot of time for nothing, it seems.
    Regarding your questionon about syncing Memos, nobody seems to know...I've asked. I do know that Palm will provide software for download that allows you to get Memos from your Palm Desktop onto the Pre, but currenly, my Memos are in about 25 different categories, and it seems to me that the Pre offers FOUR COLORS for Memos, but no categories. No clue what I will do.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I also have a 755p and would have bought a Pre today (June 6), but the Sprint store sold the last one just as I was walking in the store. I use Outlook heavily and love the way it handles contacts. Am nervous about the Pre's reliance on Google (which I also use a lot), especially its apparent inability to sync with Outlook the way the 755 does.

In a test, I discovered it's fairly easy to export from Outlook contacts into Gmail contacts, except for Outlook categories. I find Categories to be a more powerful and flexible way to manage contacts in Outlook than trying to create lists.

When exporting FROM Gmail contacts, Gmail maps its "groups" into a CSV field called "categories," which I presume is what Outlook wants.

But it doesn't quite work the other way around. When you export FROM Outlook, all categories go into a field called "categories," and you'd expect Gmail to accept them as "groups." Instead, they go into the "notes" field. Disaster, right?

Not really. In Gmail, if you do a search in contacts, and start typing the name of one of your Outlook categories, Gmail will search the "notes" field and find the relevant contacts.

This is a problem if you have an Outlook category called "john" and you have three contacts whose first name is "john." Gmail can't tell the difference.

But if you have a category called "john housewarming party" and you start typing "john house" in Gmail, it'll find everybody you want.

You could then carry this a step further and create a Group in Gmail and just select all the contacts it finds as described above and put them into the newly created Gmail group.

Some of you may find this helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post

Thank you for posting this issue. Reading this thread BEFORE I transfer my contacts has already helped a great deal.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Quote Originally Posted by jlehrer View Post
    I also have a 755p and would have bought a Pre today (June 6), but the Sprint store sold the last one just as I was walking in the store. I use Outlook heavily and love the way it handles contacts. Am nervous about the Pre's reliance on Google (which I also use a lot), especially its apparent inability to sync with Outlook the way the 755 does.

In a test, I discovered it's fairly easy to export from Outlook contacts into Gmail contacts, except for Outlook categories. I find Categories to be a more powerful and flexible way to manage contacts in Outlook than trying to create lists.

When exporting FROM Gmail contacts, Gmail maps its "groups" into a CSV field called "categories," which I presume is what Outlook wants.

But it doesn't quite work the other way around. When you export FROM Outlook, all categories go into a field called "categories," and you'd expect Gmail to accept them as "groups." Instead, they go into the "notes" field. Disaster, right?

Not really. In Gmail, if you do a search in contacts, and start typing the name of one of your Outlook categories, Gmail will search the "notes" field and find the relevant contacts.

This is a problem if you have an Outlook category called "john" and you have three contacts whose first name is "john." Gmail can't tell the difference.

But if you have a category called "john housewarming party" and you start typing "john house" in Gmail, it'll find everybody you want.

You could then carry this a step further and create a Group in Gmail and just select all the contacts it finds as described above and put them into the newly created Gmail group.

Some of you may find this helpful.
    You, Sir or Madame, are a saint! I think I understand, and if I do, I think this will be fairly easy.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...