Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I constantly see people complaining about the batteries in their cell phones because they won't last more than a day.

What do you do that you need your phone to last on one charge for longer than a day?

Do you not sleep?
    Don't you not charge your phone while you sleep?

BTW - This is not a Pre-specific question, but this forum is getting the most views right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    I constantly see people complaining about the batteries in their cell phones because they won't last more than a day.

What do you do that you need your phone to last on one charge for longer than a day?

Do you not sleep?

BTW - This is not a Pre-specific question, but this forum is getting the most views right now.
    If you worked an entire day and then went out drinking your phone might be dead in the early morning hours and you woudlen't be able to call a cab.

The serious answer is that "a day" can mean different things to different people.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Because I dont always end up home at night? Because I want to be able to take a spontaneous weekend trip without bringing a bag of assorted wires? Because it is better to have and not need then to need and not have?
    The last dumb phone I had would go for like a week without needed a charge. It's hard to step into a Smartphone that barely makes it through a day. The dumb phone was so nice in that regard.

The other thing is, I don't care if it only lasts a day, but I don't want to have to adjust my usage patterns to stretch it along for day. I want it to handle all the apps/media playing/ and browsing I care to throw at it, and still have a bit of battery life at the end of the day.

If I have to limit my usage, then that's a failure.
    A "day" is usually good for me too - but there are times when you find you have been busy, away from my desk/a power outlet and then as the day wears on you are suddenly w/o a phone - that pisses me off. I don't really like to HAVE to plan around charging a phone - or not using features so that I have enough power to make it to a plug. This is the one other feature besides email that makes a Blackberry a good device, IMO.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  6. joelpalm
    Man, you must not be single if you are asking this question. Many a times I have gone to work (not including my commute that is 30 minutes each way) I am at work 11 hours a day. Then let's say you decide to go out to a club or a bar with your friends for a drink or dancing. Well that's another 3 hours plus right there. And as nice as it is to meet a nice young lady and go home with her in the wee hours of the morning, if your phone isn't ready for the long haul, you can bet that by the time it is time to leave, your phone will be dead, so I hope you don't need to use it!
    Sometimes I'm stuck in the OR all day with sporadic downtime, I can burn through a Centro battery in about 4-5hrs of roaming around the web, checking email, talking on the phone and texting. But I always have an extra battery in tow. I'd love to see a simple external battery charger like they have for digital cameras. I use one of the cheap asian centro cradles with the external battery charger so I'm good for spare batteries at home.

and joepalm, you don't have a charger at the office or in the car?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    It's those unforeseen situations with travel or late appointments, after a long day already, that make a single day's battery life perilous. One day is usually just fine, but no one wants to get stuck with a dead phone. That kind of thing typically happens when you can least afford it.
  9. joelpalm
    I work in a place that has access to sensitive information and cell phones aren't allowed, so no. As for the car, I could, and have with my current phone, but the phone usually lasts long enough on an average day, therefore I don't usually carry one. Couple that with the fact that I use a radar detector, and usually when I got out a GPS as well that I usually need to plug in, there is no open plug. I have tried adapters, but they don't really work well with the dash layout of my car. But it is no big deal, I am no longer single, so a 14 hour charge is fine for me now. Was just stating the situations in which previously a longer battery life would have been nice to have. And Rambo is right, it is the UNFORESEEN situations, things that usually pop up, and it always seems to be when you need it most that your phone is dead.
    Because it's easier to not have to charge every night, but most of these new powerful phones last only a day so they'll have to adjust to charging or using fat extended batteries.
    Why design a car with a gas tank that holds more than the amount of gas for a comute to and from work?

But seriously, for normal use, I want it to have enough juice for a full day plus some extra in those few times I need the battery to hold out when I cant get to a charger when I normally would.
    Car charger for the win! In my line of work I am either at my office or on the road to clients. So I guess I could consider myself lucky, since battery life really shouldnt be that much of an issue to me.
    I would be MUCH more concerned about battery life if the battery weren't removable. The ability to have a spare battery in my pocket makes all the different in the world.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  14. joelpalm
    Yeah, with a removable battery, if life becomes an issue, I will keep a charged spare in the car. No big deal there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    The last dumb phone I had would go for like a week without needed a charge. It's hard to step into a Smartphone that barely makes it through a day. The dumb phone was so nice in that regard.
    And if you use your smartphone the same way you did your dumbphone, it will probably last almost as long. Turn off bluetooth and wi-fi, never use data, never send email or use the internet, and the battery will lost much longer.

But be realistic, if you're connecting the radio all the time to send and receive data, it's going to use more power and drain the battery faster.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I agree with all the above comments and add battery life declines over time. If you have a better battery to start, you will still have a good battery when its life begins to decline noticeably.
    Last edited by tman9476; 05/31/2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: i am dependent on spellcheck
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post

Do you not sleep?

The simple answer, for me is that I use the hell out of my smartphone. Although there are more hardcore users out there, I certainly consider myself a full-fledged power-user.

I've got the 3200 or so mAh battery on my 755p and I've frequently barely made it through the day with it. That's not to say that every battery has to meet that standard, but I recognize that my needs are often on the high side so I'd rather not have to keep a spare on me.

(Especially if taking the battery door off is as hard as folks make it out to be.)

I'll do it, though, if I have to. I just hope that battery can be charged in my existing dual charger (charges phone and an extra battery at the same time). One of the best smartphone accessories I've ever bought.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for your responses. Out of curiousity, which smartphones do last more than a day with heavy usage?

I work in a place that has access to sensitive information and cell phones aren't allowed, so no.
    What do you do with your phone while you are at work?
  19.    #19  
    Man, you must not be single if you are asking this question.
    You would be correct, I have not been single in many many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    And if you use your smartphone the same way you did your dumbphone, it will probably last almost as long. Turn off bluetooth and wi-fi, never use data, never send email or use the internet, and the battery will lost much longer.

But be realistic, if you're connecting the radio all the time to send and receive data, it's going to use more power and drain the battery faster.
    I see your point except I did use bluetooth and EVDO on my dumb phone. Maybe not quite as much, but it had Sprint Email and everything. It was an LG Fusic.

I realize when I first have the phone I'm going to playing alot, so maybe not great battery life. But when the dust settles and the newness wears off, it has to last through the day.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast