Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    For me I'm a heavy user constantly streaming internet radio, e-mail checking, internet browsing, and google mapping. The iPhone for me lasted three hours so that was a huge burden, I had to grab the extended battery which got me to six hours of usage. So I actually developed a habit of charging my phone everywhere (sleeping, in the car.. etc). But I'd really love the day when I can get a phone with all this heavy use going to last more than one day, because sometimes you forget to charge your phone or you're on a trip.. it's nice to have more battery life, always.

This brings me to a slightly off-topic question, I figure I'm going to have multiple batteries for the Pre, does anyone know a device that will charge the batteries besides the phone?
    Kevin C,

Your question is what I ask my wife.

I am gone for 11 hours in a day and my stock battery in my Treo Pro is fine.

My wife on the other hand needs one of the 3500mah batteries in her Treo Pro. She listens to music on her phone, takes pictures of her cats or her flower garden and shows them at work and her battery is dead after 8 hours.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    For me I'm a heavy user constantly streaming internet radio, e-mail checking, internet browsing, and google mapping. The iPhone for me lasted three hours so that was a huge burden, I had to grab the extended battery which got me to six hours of usage. So I actually developed a habit of charging my phone everywhere (sleeping, in the car.. etc). But I'd really love the day when I can get a phone with all this heavy use going to last more than one day, because sometimes you forget to charge your phone or you're on a trip.. it's nice to have more battery life, always.

This brings me to a slightly off-topic question, I figure I'm going to have multiple batteries for the Pre, does anyone know a device that will charge the batteries besides the phone?
    A couple people in this very thread have mentioned an option.

I think my existing Treo charger (which has a place for the Treo and for an extra battery to charge simultaneously) will do the job, but I've never seen a Centro/800w/Pre battery so I'm not 100% sure.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Ah, thanks. I'll have to go through the thread a bit more carefully :P Been going through so many threads it's hard to keep up!
    If you are a doctor working on call in the hospital it is lame to have your phone die after half of a shift
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Agree with the OP for the most part, It wasn't designed to be a dumb phone
    The phone is basically never dormant..so don't expect it to not CONSTANTLY drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    I constantly see people complaining about the batteries in their cell phones because they won't last more than a day.

What do you do that you need your phone to last on one charge for longer than a day?
    Because we have lives and are busy people who are always on the go, the reasons we bought an ultra-cool and productive smartphone in the first place.

Because I hate leaving work and not having enough power to use the phone on the subway ride home.

Because I'm not always near an electrical outlet or a car's cigarette lighter.

Because if your phone doesn't have power... It's useless!!!

I have two Touchstones, three batteries, charger upstairs, downstairs, at work and in the car.

So having a phone with power is a good thing, right?
    I have a charger at work, a touchstone in my car and a touchstone at home... I'm at full juice all the time. If I'm not at work my phone lasts all day on one charge. But, if I'm in my car going from point A to point B I just set it on my touchstone and give it some more juice. I have NO problems with my pre running out of juice.
    A 12-18 hour Pre would be barely acceptable. Too bad Palm built a 10-12 hour Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post
    If you are a doctor working on call in the hospital it is lame to have your phone die after half of a shift
    Or med student :-)

I am never in one place long enough to charge and don't have an office or area where I can leave it to charge.

I bought an old samsung wm slider 730v which could go over a day.

My omnia could barely do a 30 hr shift. The pre has trouble with 17 hours same usage. But so did my omnia for the first two months. I hope battery life will improve on this phone as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    A 12-18 hour Pre would be barely acceptable. Too bad Palm built a 10-12 hour Pre.
    I'm glad I got one of the 18 hour variety. I usually take mine off the charger around 7 a.m. and it doesn't go back on until 11 p.m. with about 10-20% of the battery left. When I don't make many calls, that percentage might be closer to 50. When I talk for a couple of hours on my commute, I might have to charge at around 6 or 7. For me, that's pretty reasonable.

Honestly, the battery is not much worse, and in some cases, a little better than comparable smartphones. My 700, 755, centro, and HTC TP all had similar battery life to the Pre when used similarly. My girlfriend's Curve would last longer, but the screen is tiny and the web browser sucked, so she wouldn't use it nearly as much. There is definitely a give and take with battery. The bigger the screen and more functional the phone, the more you're going to use it, and, conversely, the crappier the battery life will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    I constantly see people complaining about the batteries in their cell phones because they won't last more than a day.

What do you do that you need your phone to last on one charge for longer than a day?

Do you not sleep?
    Don't you not charge your phone while you sleep?

BTW - This is not a Pre-specific question, but this forum is getting the most views right now.
    I wish my Pre WOULD last 12 frickin' hours. I got spoiled by my extended battery on the 755p.

I hope people are right about the battery life improving over time. I'm catching hell whenever I'm away from a charger for long - even with most services turned off.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    For those weekends where youre all around town, or those extended days, or those unexpected long calls or heavy data days, I would like to have the peace of mind knowing my Pre would get through the day.

Now, I am somewhat unfair because I like to download and listen to a lot of podcasts, and I check my email from my Pre primarily (because work blocks my email), so my Pre is my personal computer that I need on at all times.

I have a Touchsone at work and I plan to put one in my car soon. I carry a mircoUSB cable with me and I dont mind carrying an extra battery. But having my Pre last longer than it does would be VERY helpful...even necessary!
    I work in Facility Maintenance and cover several hundred miles of country. I am not always close to a place to plug things in as I am up and down ladders etc. I generally have wifi, Bluetooth for the ear bud going along with Pandora, E-mail gets checked every 15 minutes etc. (yes I can plug it in the truck between stops but choose not to) With the new Seidio Battery I can unplug at 430am and tonight at 7 pm I still have 48% battery left without ever pluggin it in between.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I hope people are right about the battery life improving over time. I'm catching hell whenever I'm away from a charger for long - even with most services turned off.
    They are, but it's not due to the battery. Lithium Ion batteries slowly loose charge capacity with every recharge cycle (source: Battery University). The batter seems to last longer because:

1. You don't play with the phone as much as you did when you first bought it.
    2. The poor battery life subliminally trains you to habitually take action to reduce battery consumption (close programs, lower backlight, multiple chargers).
    people go out of their homes. i need mine to last more than 6 hours...that's not happening for me...
    They are, but it's not due to the battery. Lithium Ion batteries slowly loose charge capacity with every recharge cycle (source: [url= University[/url]). The batter seems to last longer because:

2. The poor battery life subliminally trains you to habitually take action to reduce battery consumption (close programs, lower backlight, multiple chargers).
    While that is certainly part of the equation, I would not rule out updates to programming like improved tower finding efficiency or better power management as sources of increased battery life not created by habits
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Is there an issue with the battery life? I hadn't heard.
    They are, but it's not due to the battery. Lithium Ion batteries slowly loose charge capacity with every recharge cycle (source: Battery University). The batter seems to last longer because:

That's completely disengenous. Since the Pre has only been out a couple of months, any references to improved battery life obviously relate to poor performance over the first few weeks that eventually improves. It may not be the battery itself, could be the battery meter getting properly calibrated, could be something with the phone itself, could be software updates. I don't know exactly why, I just know that it happened. It's obvious that a rechargable battery will lose capacity in the long run, you don't need a link for that.

My battery lasts much longer on a charge than the first week I had it, and I have actually turned UP my backlight and leave WIFI and BT on all the time. I had notifications turned off too, and they're back on, and I leave several cards open at all times (as if that actually has an appreciable affect on battery life anyway). I have also re-installed my Hotmail account, since it was known to drain the battery before an update. And since the Pre does much more than my old BB ever did, I actually use it just as much, if not more, than when I first got it.

But you'd be familiar with some of this if you actually owned the phone and weren't just in here trolling.

Here's something interesting from the article for those interested in keeping their battery in good shape for the long run:

-Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

-Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I did a quick, very unscientific test this morning of the battery. Took it off the charger @ 100% Tuesday morning, walked the to the station and turned the phone on, listened to music for an hour on the subway ride to work, got out, and used the phone on and off tweeting, a few short phone calls, some texting and email work, and the phone was at 0% at around 12:30pm. This is unacceptable. BT and wifi were off, but I had all of the Auto Locate features on. As someone said earlier, if I have to take off features to get decent life out of the battery, then that's a failure.

Tomorrow I'm going to try every single drastic battery saving tip and see how much better it does.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast