Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    Thanks for your responses. Out of curiousity, which smartphones do last more than a day with heavy usage?
    Well, people have different standards, so that may be kinda tough to answer* but in my case, it's not the phone (with the standard battery, anyway). It's the big, fat, baby-got-back extended battery that's so big it comes with its own door.

I use a 755p, by the way, and my heaviest usage comes on days that I stream online content via Kinoma and also use Softick Audio Gateway to wirelessly play and control that content via my Bluetooth stereo headphones. If I also make or receive a lot of calls that day, then ...

* - luckily, you said "more than a day" and "heavy usage"
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2. joelpalm
    @Kevin: While I am at work I put my phone in a locker, and check and respond to emails, texts, calls while on my break. And good not to be single, I hear it's hell on battery life!
    It's hell on the wallet too...
    Quote Originally Posted by joelpalm View Post
    And good not to be single, I hear it's hell on battery life!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I'm NOT a power user. But I rely on the phone as my pager as a physician. And I use the PDA part as my PDA. I am oncall 24/7 as they say. If I find myself on labor & delivery at 11 pm, I start to get nervous about if/when my Treo 680's battery will run dry. If I take a catnap while waiting for a patient's labor to progress, how will the nurses call me back to my patient if my phone dies at 1 AM? I start scrambling for a charger. I have a sync/charge cable in my briefcase, but what if I left my briefcase in my office across the street from the hospital? It's all just a huge PIA. The battery should simply last for a couple days at minimum with sparse use of phone or PDA. I don't even have data plan for my Treo 680, and the battery still croaks at around the 20 hour mark with every powersaving maneuver in place save turning off the cellphone service. My Treo 650 was FAR better, it would go probably 3 days on same level of use before hitting the wall.

If the device were always on, constantly talking to the data network and the cloud for all kinds of regular Palm activities, they better have made the battery perform much better than on the 680 or else my use of a Pre will be quite brief.
    -- Josh
  5.    #25  
    @Kevin: While I am at work I put my phone in a locker, and check and respond to emails, texts, calls while on my break.
    I would venture that this contributes to your battery loss...makes it more difficult to get a signal, so it is probably always searching....
  6. joelpalm
    Yeah, that is probably right, but I don't have battery life problems anymore, I lead a much more predictable life now. But enough about me and my usage, let's get back on topic.
    Thanks for your responses. Out of curiousity, which smartphones do last more than a day with heavy usage?
    Blackberries typically have good battery life to them. My bold can go for 3 days without a charge if I'm not at work (note: I work in the basement of an old governmental building with metal office walls. I get reception but the phone struggles some days thus the reason I only get a day and a half out of my bold.)
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Sometimes I'm stuck in the OR all day with sporadic downtime, I can burn through a Centro battery in about 4-5hrs of roaming around the web, checking email, talking on the phone and texting. But I always have an extra battery in tow. I'd love to see a simple external battery charger like they have for digital cameras. I use one of the cheap asian centro cradles with the external battery charger so I'm good for spare batteries at home.

and joepalm, you don't have a charger at the office or in the car?
    There's an interesting wall charger from China on eBay. Charges a spare battery and has a USB port to charge the phone itself. One of the auctions selling it is number - 220398303471 - and more than one vendor is selling them.

Picked one up for $7. Figured I'd use it to charge spare batteries at home, and as a travel charger with the USB cord so I'll be able to leave the wall charger connected to the Touchstone at home.

Also picked up a car charger with dual USB ports for $4, an extra micro USB cord for $2.50 and an extra Palm Centro battery for $7 while I was at it. Just need a Pre and a Touchstone, and I'll be set.
    I'm in on that charger. My cradle one will just take up space once the Centro is gone. I could always sell it with my spare Centro too to fetch a higher price.

In the car I tapped into the fuse box and added a fuse to hardwire three 12v sockets. They reside behind the center dash and out of the way. This way I don't have to junk up the lighter outlets and can hide cables easier. If I think to I'll use one of the sockets for 4 port USB hub and cut down on car chargers altogether. Like the idea of using zip linq cables then since they're thinner, and I only need them for charging. Since the length is adjustable it cuts down on zip tying and bulk.

Two things I like, one for home and one for travel are surge protectors with built in USB ports.

For travel I use the Belkin Mini Surge Protector w/2 usb ports

For home I use the Belkin Power Central w/4 USB ports. It was $20 at Marshalls.

Both really cut down on clutter and those little AC usb adapters. The travel one is great for the laptop, mp3 player, phone and such. The one at home is on the hall table and acts like a nice little charging station for all the gear.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  10. joelpalm
    Thanks to you for the info crogs and cannon. Since I will actually have a phone I care about, and actually want to use for more than talk and text, I am sure to pick up a touchstone, a car charger, and I will probably address the lack of outlets in the car. I drive a 15 year old car, so I didn't want to really hardwire anything in my old hunk of junk, but who knows.
    i have a charger at home i charge my phone in overnight. a charger in my car for when im on the road. and when i have a job i have a charger there also. and i still run out of battery, from time to time.

i usually speak about 4-5000 min a month on average plus surfing.

if its true the pre battery will be about 5 hours, im happy. my phone now is 3.5.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Some Nokias are pretty good about battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    I'm NOT a power user. But I rely on the phone as my pager as a physician. And I use the PDA part as my PDA. I am oncall 24/7 as they say. If I find myself on labor & delivery at 11 pm, I start to get nervous about if/when my Treo 680's battery will run dry. If I take a catnap while waiting for a patient's labor to progress, how will the nurses call me back to my patient if my phone dies at 1 AM? I start scrambling for a charger. I have a sync/charge cable in my briefcase, but what if I left my briefcase in my office across the street from the hospital? It's all just a huge PIA. The battery should simply last for a couple days at minimum with sparse use of phone or PDA. I don't even have data plan for my Treo 680, and the battery still croaks at around the 20 hour mark with every powersaving maneuver in place save turning off the cellphone service. My Treo 650 was FAR better, it would go probably 3 days on same level of use before hitting the wall.

If the device were always on, constantly talking to the data network and the cloud for all kinds of regular Palm activities, they better have made the battery perform much better than on the 680 or else my use of a Pre will be quite brief.
    -- Josh
    If you ever come to my ICU, you can borrow my touchstone I plan to install at the charge nurse desk.
    Between the convenience of the Touchstone, the removable battery and the standard micro USB charging port, I don't think battery will be too big of an issue. Lots of USB ports out there to charge from in a crunch.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I would love it if the Pre lasted 18 hours, even though there are plenty of days where I get 6 or less hours of sleep. But the original Centro battery never lasted me 18 hours. That was the best part of the Treo 650. 16 hours with heavy use I'd be perfectly happy with. 12, not so much. I'd rather not have to plan my day around having to charge the phone, despite spending most of my days (but not all) with easy access to a charger.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Having a battery that only needs recharging maybe once a week........is a great feeling. I've had extended batteries for my last two phones..700wx..and my 800w. Once you get one....anything less is terrible. I know that Seidio will probably be making a rear case for the pre that fits their Centro/Treo 800 2600mAh battery. I give it ....6 months at the most...!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Many sleep an average of 6 hours these days, meaning, the day is 18 hours.
    tapping into the fuse box is simple. Pep Boys, Royal Auto and the like all carrying these little add-a-fuse fuses. Basically it's a fuse with a second fuse on it to run a second line. Buy a hardwired 12v socket (or double or triple) and wire the hot to that 2nd fuse with the ground wire around some screw that attaches to the metal on the car. There's usually something to attach to behind the dash. Then it's just a matter of finding an auto adapter for a usb hub which shouldn't be too hard. Even a universal would do the trick. Now you can run your gps or what not off of the 12v socket and run things like an mp3 player and Pre off of USB all the while leaving your open 12v sockets clean and free.
    Thanks to you for the info crogs and cannon. Since I will actually have a phone I care about, and actually want to use for more than talk and text, I am sure to pick up a touchstone, a car charger, and I will probably address the lack of outlets in the car. I drive a 15 year old car, so I didn't want to really hardwire anything in my old hunk of junk, but who knows.
  19. joelpalm
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    tapping into the fuse box is simple. Pep Boys, Royal Auto and the like all carrying these little add-a-fuse fuses. Basically it's a fuse with a second fuse on it to run a second line. Buy a hardwired 12v socket (or double or triple) and wire the hot to that 2nd fuse with the ground wire around some screw that attaches to the metal on the car. There's usually something to attach to behind the dash. Then it's just a matter of finding an auto adapter for a usb hub which shouldn't be too hard. Even a universal would do the trick. Now you can run your gps or what not off of the 12v socket and run things like an mp3 player and Pre off of USB all the while leaving your open 12v sockets clean and free.
    Awesome info, but I must admit, it stems more from laziness than from lack of knowledge. I actually have a hardwire kit I purchased for my radar detector, just never gotten around to installing it.
    When you need at phone to last from the time you wake up until after you've worked 8-10 hours then go do a few things then yes a phone that lasts 12 hours can be very handy, which I why I have my iPhone and can't wait to try out the Pre.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast