1.    #1  
    webOS chapter 8 "System & Cloud services"

Safari Books Online - 9780596802097 - Palm webOS, 1st Edition

http://www.precentral.net/new-rough-...er-causes-stir

Chapter 8. System & Cloud Services

System services are those that are enabled by hardware features or provided by the Linux operating system. Hardware-enabled services include access to location services, and connection status. The OS provides alarms, sounds, power management, properties and time services.

As described in Chapter 7, the Mojo framework provides access to the System services, routing service requests to the specified services, and calling the application's callback functions with the service response. As shown in Figure 8-1, all system services are actually managed by Linux-resident server processes. The servers receive service requests from the application and send messages back. The messages are routed to the application through the specified callback functions, whether fulfilling the request or providing a failure indication.
    8.1. System Services

This section will describe each of the System services. Very few of the services apply to the News application, so most of the code samples in this section are simple ones to illustrate the service calls and handlers.
    I wonder how quickly this book will become outdated when they eventually allow lower level API's to the entire general public. I think eventually they will be hacked to the degree that Palm will be forced to open them up in order to continue creating a profit off of licensing from legitimate companies (stopping the hack/dev community is impossible but making a little coin off of dev companies never hurt).

Sorry, Sunday morning brain droppings...
    If Linux is "Open Source" and webOS is Linux-based, then isn't it also "Open Source" and covered by the GPL?
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    so what does all this mean to the non developer?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    If Linux is "Open Source" and webOS is Linux-based, then isn't it also "Open Source" and covered by the GPL?
    Nope. WebOS is a virtual web server running on Linux. Only new OS's based on Linux (derivations of Linux) need also be open source.

However, I do wonder about their derivations of WebKit, also open source.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Nope. WebOS is a virtual web server running on Linux. Only new OS's based on Linux (derivations of Linux) need also be open source.

However, I do wonder about their derivations of WebKit, also open source.
    I think we will find many different flavors of the Webkit browser within short time, devs have most likely been itching to tweak the hell out of it and not be restricted by some application process that will most likely turn it down due to "repeated functionality".