Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    So what do I need to take with me on the 6th to port my number from Verizon and get the most out of the Sprint ReadyNow program. Obviously the Verizon account number, maybe the server info for my comcast e-mail. But if most of my contacts are on my laptop (Windows Contacts, but not Outlook), I'll pretty much have to sync them myself when I get home, right? Sprint will just move over the few that are in my Verizon phone?

Thanks. A novice here but really want to do this correctly.
    if I werre you, I would simply sign up with a new cell number, then when you are 100% happy with Sprint and the Pre, then port it over yourself by calling it in from home.

At the store, when signup, no need to tell them you are porting over...

Remember, you can port over ANY TIME. It does not have to be during signup
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    But once I port I can cancel the Verizon service. My contract expired May 28th, coveniently.
    i think you have it covered. it's not rocket science.

however, you may want to export/import your WAB? contacts into Google or Outlook in the meantime.

Exporting contacts from other mail providers - Gmail Help
    Quote Originally Posted by kgirl58 View Post
    But once I port I can cancel the Verizon service. My contract expired May 28th, coveniently.
    Actually, when you tell Sprint to port over the number it will let Verizon know that you are cancelling them. Like they said above. Get Sprint, get a new number which will be temporary, try out the service, then if you want to keep Sprint, tell them to port your Verizon number over. Remember do all this before the 30 days are up.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Actually, when you tell Sprint to port over the number it will let Verizon know that you are cancelling them. Like they said above. Get Sprint, get a new number which will be temporary, try out the service, then if you want to keep Sprint, tell them to port your Verizon number over. Remember do all this before the 30 days are up.
    To clarify a point. The 30 day window is to decide to keep Sprint and/or the Pre.

You can port another phone number to your Sprint service at anytime, even after the 30 day window, for no cost-- Sprint officially says 'we reserve the right to charge for this', but they never do.

The argument to do this as soon as possible is that you start giving out the new Sprint number to friends, family, businesses, and then if/when you port the old number to the new sprint phone, the new number from Sprint goes away forever. It actually goes into some unused numner pool, and it is not re-used for a set period of time, 60 of 90 days, or something. But you do not get it back ever.
    All good advice above - I have tested out phones on Verizon & ATT in the past 6 months and I did as suggested above. I just opened a new account to see if I would like the service before I ported my number out of Sprint (it is my personal and business line, so I have to be careful with it). I am glad carriers allow for this option because neither test worked out for me and I am still with Sprint. The overlap may cost you a little extra, but if you get a Pre and you like Sprint, you can port anytime after the 6th - like that Monday or Tuesday if you are "sold".