Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I didn't know if this has been posted yet but if so, please redirect it mods. So I was looking through the leaked user guide for the pre and on pages 187 and 188 it mentions turning on ADVANCED GESTURES. When you do this, it will allow you to use a FULL SWIPE right and left to move between cards WITHOUT first going to card view. The "back" gesture is still there but changes to a shorter swipe now. I can definitely see how this will come in handy when wanting to quickly switch back and forth between just a few cards.

SG Pre UserGuide

<<edited by berd - added post(s) from merged threads>> :
    Quote Originally Posted by chymo View Post
    * New gestures: The new previous gesture is a full swipe to the right across the entire length of the gesture area. The new next gesture is a full swipe to the left across the entire length of the gesture area. Use these gestures when you have several apps open and one app is displayed in full-screen view. By making the previous and next gestures, you can move among your open apps without first going to Card view—you go from full-screen view to full-screen view of each app. The order of the apps is determined by the order in which you opened them or arranged them in Card view.

* Change to back gesture: The back gesture still goes from right to left in the gesture area, but you must make a shorter swipe.

1. Open Screen & Lock .
    2. In Switch Applications, tap On or Off.

switching from full screen to full screen is pretty sweet! I'm not sure though what they mean with the other gesture... anyone know what they mean by "In Switch Applications, tap On or Off."? what does it do?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    So you can flip through apps, webpages, in full page view instead of just card view. it is VERY nice.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 06/08/2009 at 09:02 PM.
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Just to clarify. The back gesture is always a shorter swipe, just from the button to the left side, or from the right side to the button.
    Yeah this will definitely be useful especially with multiple web pages open!
    Be careful about such advanced gestures, this IS a family friendly site here, ya know!
    Good call Dwight Good call!
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    I didn't know if this has been posted yet but if so, please redirect it mods. So I was looking through the leaked user guide for the pre and on pages 187 and 188 it mentions turning on ADVANCED GESTURES. When you do this, it will allow you to use a FULL SWIPE right and left to move between cards WITHOUT first going to card view. The "back" gesture is still there but changes to a shorter swipe now. I can definitely see how this will come in handy when wanting to quickly switch back and forth between just a few cards.

SG Pre UserGuide
    Thanks.

And Dwight - will your avatar "smile" after you get your Pre?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Thanks.

And Dwight - will your avatar "smile" after you get your Pre?
    HAHA Bubba good question LOL That is great! lol
    This does make me wonder: how come there is only 1 Advanced Gesture turned on when you enable "Advanced GestureS"? Perhaps there were more planned at one time and they decided the others were too advanced? Or maybe more are planned for the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This does make me wonder: how come there is only 1 Advanced Gesture turned on when you enable "Advanced GestureS"? Perhaps there were more planned at one time and they decided the others were too advanced? Or maybe more are planned for the future?
    More for the future. It's like Apple and their multi-touch MacBook track pads. They're capable of much more than they're being used for now, but Apple's very slowly adding in new gestures to avoid overloading users with new stuff.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    There will probably be more, they just didn't feel the need or haven't come up with the rest yet. Maybe they want to see how people use their Pres and thus what gestures would work with the most popular habits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    More for the future. It's like Apple and their multi-touch MacBook track pads. They're capable of much more than they're being used for now, but Apple's very slowly adding in new gestures to avoid overloading users with new stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    There will probably be more, they just didn't feel the need or haven't come up with the rest yet. Maybe they want to see how people use their Pres and thus what gestures would work with the most popular habits.
    Those are excellent responses! Thanks!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    In that video of the Pre at the Sprint store that's on Precentrals news page, it looks like you can pinch an application down to card view. Never seen that before!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    In that video of the Pre at the Sprint store that's on Precentrals news page, it looks like you can pinch an application down to card view. Never seen that before!
    I still think the button is easier. But this begs the question: Why didn't Palm use the button for something else if we can pinch to card view?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I still think the button is easier. But this begs the question: Why didn't Palm use the button for something else if we can pinch to card view?
    ... I'm still not convinced this is the case myself. I'll believe it when I see it on Saturday.
    Saturday... It's gonna be here before we know it!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Yeah, I don't know why they used multiple ways of doing the same thing. Hitting that button is easy enough...but hey, it's build in redundancy...if the button ever wears out, just swipe up instead!

Hard to believe, but officially, even for the west coast peeps, we can now say that the Pre is coming out THIS week!
    * New gestures: The new previous gesture is a full swipe to the right across the entire length of the gesture area. The new next gesture is a full swipe to the left across the entire length of the gesture area. Use these gestures when you have several apps open and one app is displayed in full-screen view. By making the previous and next gestures, you can move among your open apps without first going to Card view—you go from full-screen view to full-screen view of each app. The order of the apps is determined by the order in which you opened them or arranged them in Card view.

* Change to back gesture: The back gesture still goes from right to left in the gesture area, but you must make a shorter swipe.

1. Open Screen & Lock .
    2. In Switch Applications, tap On or Off.

switching from full screen to full screen is pretty sweet! I'm not sure though what they mean with the other gesture... anyone know what they mean by "In Switch Applications, tap On or Off."? what does it do?
    ... anyone know what they mean by "In Switch Applications, tap On or Off."? what does it do?
    That is telling you how to turn on and off advanced gestures.
    ah so its really just the one gesture... the right to left swipe...
    ah so its really just the one gesture... the right to left swipe...
    No, it adds 2, and changes one (kinda)

It adds:
    full width swipe left to right - next card
    full width swipe right to left - previous cards
    short right to left - back
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast