Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I can't find categories on the Pre for contacts or calendar.

Am I missing something?

Will that come on a future OS update?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    If I remember right, there are no catagories in contacts yet but should be added soon.
    Seems backwards
    Yeah, Palmgoon has a section on contacts which talks about this. He says this is on a list of things to add/fix soon.
    what about categories for calendar events? Is that available?
    Categories would be nice yes, that's what I am used to on my WinMo phone, but then again, I never really use that feature. So to me it isn't a big deal yet.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    It seems to me that the concept of categories in the calendar is handled by the use of multiple calendars. You could have multiple calendars in Google for work, personal, etc.
    I sort of agree with the categories being handled with multiple calendars, but as mentioned that doesn't help with contacts. I actually don't use categories on contacts myself, but I'd personally be more inclined to use them if it instead was a set of tags, so that I could give each person a few different tags if I wanted to. For example, I could set Lauren to work and friend, because in that case, the two things overlap. With set categories you can generally only select the one.

I probably still wouldn't use them, but I do think it'd be much more useful that way.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Yeah I find that I don't really use categories in contacts either. I just start typing to find a contact on my Treo Pro and I'll be able to do that on the Pre. I really never even use the contacts apps on my phones because of this.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Categories are essential. I need one for Christmas List. I need the capability for multiple categories for entries.

I have 1300 addresses, I need some quick ways to get to the groups I need.

Surely this will come on an update.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    i have't used categories on my treo phones for years... just generally used some search function. it was always much faster, and i never had the patience to categorize...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Categories are essential. I need one for Christmas List. I need the capability for multiple categories for entries.

Same here! I hope that update comes soon!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have been using Palm since the begining, over time I have stopped using catagories for contacts, and memos using tag with search function within those applications. Just dumping all in there and searching tags superfast to find what I am looking for. I use Agendus for this.

The only place i use catagories is for task doing GTD. So far I do not see how I can do this with WebOs. One could use tags for task, but as of yet havent seen a search function in Webos for task searching.

So on day one guess will get the emulator and continue to use Agendus and waiting hoping that another solution will be soon to come.

MTW
    I use categories with my calendar to separate out my various work events and personal events. It helps me quickly identify when I'm going on an business trip or have a presentation to conduct. Sure, I could live without categories, but it is a nice feature to have for my work.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    i have 2,600+ contacts and i've been using palms since 1999 and i never used categories. too much to constantly manage and not enough need to make it worth the trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post

I'm sure there will be an update.

And please, don't call me Shirley.
    Those of you who don't use categories, I'm happy for you. But please understand that not everyone uses their devices in the same way you do. Many people find categories very useful, and Palm should give us the option. It makes no sense to give us a brand new, super duper operating system that, in quite a few ways, seems to have fewer features than the old one.

If Palm included categories it wouldn't force you to use them. OTOH, leaving them out forces those of us who make use of them to do without.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I forget where this was discussed before, but there was talk of not having categories and that you don't need them because universal search takes care of it. If you search for a term it'll bring up all the entries in contacts that match and you can refine from there. I didn't care for that answer.

Besides contacts, categories are huge for memos. Especially with talk of no file browser? If I did the Gekko thing and moved all my memos into word, I'd want to put them into folders by category so I could also put other files in those folders that fall under the same category. But with no file browser I'd always have to be in the program I wanted to to look up a specific file in a particular folder. Seems cumbersome and unintuitive.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    MEMOS - THAT'S where I need categories, but all we will have is FOUR COLORS. Bummer.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Categories are an important feature for me. However, a few phones ago, the WinMo system was very limited in this area. I have gotten used to simply appending a short dash followed by some sort of personal tag in the last name of the person's info.

The inability for me to "select all" or anything along those lines of every one with a given tag (or assigned to the non-existent categories) is essential for me.

I deal with several non-profit groups that have many young people involved. They typically cannot afford phones with data plans, but they usually have texting plans. This makes it necessary for me to be able to send out sms messages to 50+ people quite often. The fact that I cannot create a group, or category, or even use tags (even the rough method that I described above) and then select everyone in that group at once is a huge oversight in my opinion by Palm.
    With all the talk about how this phone is going to be an entire new level of social networking, it would seem to me that having such features would have been a very very basic thing to include. I'm not sure how it was missed, but it will need to be fixed before I purchase a Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast