Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I stopped by the Sprint store today to see if that store would havePres in stock next week.

When I walked in the guy had a Pre out showing it to another customer. I was able to get my hands on it for a few
    minutes before my wife became impatient waiting for me in the car. My first impressions:

1. Overall, it looks great. The screen is bright and sharp.

2. I liked the keyboard a lot. I could type very quickly and accurately. I had zero issues with the keyboard, and I didn't think the top row of the keyboard was affected at all by the lip of the slider.

3. The slider mechanism seemed firm but fine, not loose like my daughter's Rumor.

4. The universal search function was quick and responsive.

5. I love how I barely have to touch the screen to get a response.
    good to hear about the keyboard/lip.

any word on supply vs. demand or buy date/time?

thanks!
    I got about 5 or 10 minutes with one today as well:

Same comments on the screen. It's really really nice.

Plasticky concerns: If you're used to an iphone, it might feel plasticky at first, but it's a solid phone none-the-less. Just different material. Where the iphone might feel better to some people material wise, the pre kicks it's a$$ in looks.

After playing with a pre, the iphone looks like an outdated brick. The iphone just became the motorola shoe phone of 2009.

Web browsing was awesome. Gestures like pinch/expand, etc worked perfectly. Google maps satellite view loaded in no time on 3G.

Keyboard is small, but very usable. After a few days of getting used to it I think everyone will like it.

Can't wait to get one... This thing is going to rock!
    Damit, everytime I go to my Sprint store to see about sneaking some hands on time, the sales people look at me like I have two heads. None of the stores near my home have any units. I was told a few interesting things today.

1. There would be plenty of Pre's available for purchase in the NY area on launch day.
    2. They expect lines but think they will have enough for everybody.
    3. I was told by a few people that Sprint/Palm think they will sell 500,000 units the first month.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Damit, everytime I go to my Sprint store to see about sneaking some hands on time, the sales people look at me like I have two heads. None of the stores near my home have any units. I was told a few interesting things today.

1. There would be plenty of Pre's available for purchase in the NY area on launch day.
    2. They expect lines but think they will have enough for everybody.
    3. I was told by a few people that Sprint/Palm think they will sell 500,000 units the first month.
    Same here. I ALWAYS get treated lousy in Sprint stores, I don't know what it is...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Same here. I ALWAYS get treated lousy in Sprint stores, I don't know what it is...
    Sprint's customer service continues to be probably the worst in the industry.
    they just don't like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    they just don't like you.
    That's what I figured...

@clevelandrocker

Their phone CS is a LOT better than it used to be but their store employees, especially in LA are less than bright (Sorry if you are a LA sprint employee but the qualifications must be pretty damn low).
    Last edited by Eguy; 05/30/2009 at 09:17 PM.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    I was able to get my hands on it for a few
    minutes before my wife became impatient waiting for me in the car.
    She didn't do that embarrassing "beeping the horn at you" thing, did she?
    i've notice a huge change in my local store CS recently... i had my phone serviced recently (800w) and they gave me great service, and asked if i had any issues and asked that i give them 5s on the customer survey... clearly those surveys matter a lot to them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Damit, everytime I go to my Sprint store to see about sneaking some hands on time, the sales people look at me like I have two heads. None of the stores near my home have any units.
    Same thing here. I have literally been in the local corporate store almost every single day for the last week trying to get my defective Touch Pro fixed. First a repair (they actually broke it more), then another (fixed it a bit), and finally when the replacement came in (waited for a while for programming).

The whole time, I was asking about the Pre and seeing if I could figure out which employee had it. No such luck.

I want 5 minutes with it, just 5 minutes. Just to try it.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Damn it, everyone talking about this now makes me want to go to a Sprint store. I need to also get on these "waiting lists" that people have.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    I got about 5 or 10 minutes with one today as well...
    Lucky you! And thanks for keeping it in one thread; I can't imagine how this place is going to be on Saturday.
    Or maybe not as bad, as we'll all be d$*cking around with it.

You should complain; in my area I always get pretty good service, better even than what I had with Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    Damn it, everyone talking about this now makes me want to go to a Sprint store. I need to also get on these "waiting lists" that people have.
    I'll be visiting a few Sprint stores around me (I'm lucky to have quite a few around) and ask around the Pre. I'll even take my camera to snap some shots, if I'm lucky enough to get any hands-on time.

Oh, and just like there is no spoon... there are no lists.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I get treated like a leper here in the Buffalo stores. The way they look at me, you would think I went into the store and asked for an Iphone.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Ditto the poor treatmant in Sprint store. I went into 2 stores Thursday last week (after the on sale annoucement) to inquire about the Pre. This is the most exciting product launch in Sprint history, and they still will not give me the time of day. No excitement or enthusiasm, hard to get them to look up from what ever they are doing. I am not sure what they are waitng there to do, but it must be more important than trying to sell phones. God help them if someone comes in that they would have to sell a product to.
    The "look" would be more devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    She didn't do that embarrassing "beeping the horn at you" thing, did she?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Oh, and just like there is no spoon... there are no lists.
    We'll see. I stopped by a corporate store in Augusta yesterday and spoke with the Sprint Advocate. I asked if they had any yet, and he said no...they wouldn't be getting them until after they close next Friday night.

He did ask however if I wanted to be put on a list to "reserve" a Pre. He said they would only hold it for me until COB Saturday. So, we'll see what happens when I get there next Saturday.

It sounds like everyone's mileage varies regarding being placed on a reservation list, but if you're worried about available quantities, it sure wouldn't hurt to go to your local store and ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Ouch! You're right. I just got a mental image of my wife standing in the doorway with "the look" directed right at me. Imagine the expressions of the store reps - that "you poor batsard" sympathy thing, followed by a smirk. Nothing for it but to walk out, head hanging low.
    Sprint has and continues to make huge strides in the "customer service", what you are seeing at the store level is nothing more than NDA. I have had lengthly conversations with several store managers here in KC and believe it or not that is exactly what I am told. NDR. I don't blame them one bit, sure I want to see it and play with one but I don't want to be one that costs someone else their job.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I hurried back in time to avoid the "look" and the "honk"!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast