Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I probably should have used a "?" in the title after "real story" rather than a ".", since I wasn't claiming to have inside info. I was just putting forward the what I thought was the simplest solution to all the different bits and rumors I was reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    Some random thoughts from this thread…
    1) No phone launch will be as big with the general public as the iphone launch was – it was at that time, really something brand new to the masses.
    I agree. I wrote another long-digressing post a few days ago on how I thought the Pre is really a 2nd generation iPhone. Although I've looked under the hood (figuratively) and I know it's revolutionary, both in its power and potential, the general public will never think so, and this is normal. Palm making a new smartphone is NOT same as Apple (with the iPod just under their belt) making a phone. All people will see at first is an iPhone with a keyboard, and that's not enough to make you camp at 4am. Now, if Palm invented a subdermal implant that patched directly into your optic nerve, THAT would get the public's interest.

2) There have been problems of some sort with almost ever Palm launched (there were all kinds of issues with iphone activations when it first came out) – while I don't expect them to have major issues this time, by having a limited release, you limit the amount of exposure to problems by only releasing a limited amount of devices…limited advertising guarantees the majority of purchasers will be techie people who will be able to handle some of the issues that arise.
    I agree.

3) If no major problems with the first couple of days of sales and operations, many more phones get dumped into the stores and mass marketing advertising hits the streets.
    Yep. I believe there's a simulated shortage, not a real one, so this will be done.
    Last edited by Goyena; 05/31/2009 at 03:03 PM.
    So, is part of the 'viral marketing' strategy to apparantly sell-out of phones during launch (and turn people away at stores) in order to increase demand after the launch?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Hey everyone. Im new to these boards but ive been lurking around here for about 2 months now and just wanted to share a little info i just got. I live in central Connecticut and just called the closest sprint store around me and spoke to a very help full saleswoman and just fired off questions at her. The store is a corporate sprint nextel store that does repairs but is a little on the smaller end compared to others. The sales woman stated that they wont be getting a in store demo pre anytime before the pre is actually released, the store will be opening up a half hour early (so 8am instead of 830am), they arnt having a release party on the 5th, and drum roll please.......... they are ONLY getting 20 pres the first week. I thought she was kidding at first but to my dissapointment she was not. I then asked if they have been getting alot of calls like mine or people just stopping in and she said not that many but people have been showing interest. I also asked her about the touchstone and she honestly had no clue if they would have any pre accessories in stock when the phone is released. She did state tho that there would be a pre "advocate" at the store for the release week and that the staff there hasnt been trained yet at all or hasn't even seen the phone in hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post

We really all have to calm down.. My buddies store just got in 12 touch stone chargers... So do the math on that.. Its going to be a very very limited supply..
    For what it's worth, my local sprint store has 8 touchstones in stock and the manager said stores from as far away as Atlanta have been asking him to send a few to their [bigger] stores.

If Palm couldn't even get enough touchstones built in time, it makes your argument reasonable that there aren't that many pres built yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    For what it's worth, my local sprint store has 8 touchstones in stock and the manager said stores from as far away as Atlanta have been asking him to send a few to their [bigger] stores.

If Palm couldn't even get enough touchstones built in time, it makes your argument reasonable that there aren't that many pres built yet.
    That or they'd rather spend manufacturing and shipping times getting Pre's out the door. We can all sit here and talk all we want. We won't know until June 6th how many each store gets or has gotten. Even those that claim to say we're getting 20 probably don't know. But the amount of accessories doesn't really mean anything.
    i just got off the phone with the guy from one of the universal wireless stores in kalamazoo and he said that they were getting 50 phones in his store alone. *shrugs*
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Beavercreek, OH Sprint store told me they'll have a "pretty sizable shipment" of them and I should show up at 8. Didn't say they'll be a line and I should show up early, which makes me think they'll have plenty. She did say that they'll have a waiting list for those that show up on Saturday and don't get one. Once they have them back in stock, which should only be a couple days, that they'd call those on the list.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234