Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67
  1. #41  
    I don't think anyone's brought this up - but the fact that Verizon and ATT both basically came out to say they will at some point get the pre - that will to some degree temper demand.
  2. #42  
    that's a very good point. and I think people tend to be very carrier loyal - also lazy given the hassle of switching - and they like the devil they know.

    and given that iphone was an indefinite att exclusive - that contributed even more to the mad rush - because they knew it was att or nothing if you wanted an iphone any time soon. and the large mass of apple fanatics will do whatever they need to do to get their beloved product.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    that's a very good point. and I think people tend to be very carrier loyal - also lazy given the hassle of switching - and they like the devil they know.

    and given that iphone was an indefinite att exclusive - that contributed even more to the mad rush - because they knew it was att or nothing if you wanted an iphone any time soon. and the large mass of apple fanatics will do whatever they need to do to get their beloved product.
    Most people who have an iPhone dont even own, or have never used a Mac. Just saying.

    I know you guys like to chalk every Apple product purchased to Mac-tard fanboys, but get real. Its not like that in the real world. Some people just like the phone guys.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Most people who have an iPhone dont even own, or have never used a Mac. Just saying.

    I know you guys like to chalk every Apple product purchased to Mac-tard fanboys, but get real. Its not like that in the real world. Some people just like the phone guys.
    i was talking about all of the people lined up and camped on LAUNCH DAY to buy iphone 1.0, silly. that is the context of our discussion here.
  5. #45  
    I am a corporate customer, and I have two on order from our Sprint 3rd party vendor (shipping target to be on the 6th, at least that's what they promised [we will have to see ]).

    Just for grins, I stopped by my neighborhood Radio Shack (15 min. from downtown Houston) last night to see if they could tell me how many Pres they will have at that store on opening day, and the sales guy told me that Radio Shack is not going to have any PREs on opening day in Houston (hard to believe, this being the fourth largest city in the country).

    Just curious - anyone else seen this with Radio Shack?
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurobit View Post
    I am a corporate customer, and I have two on order from our Sprint 3rd party vendor (shipping target to be on the 6th, at least that's what they promised [we will have to see ]).

    Just for grins, I stopped by my neighborhood Radio Shack (15 min. from downtown Houston) last night to see if they could tell me how many Pres they will have at that store on opening day, and the sales guy told me that Radio Shack is not going to have any PREs on opening day in Houston (hard to believe, this being the fourth largest city in the country).

    Just curious - anyone else seen this with Radio Shack?
    i would rather wait an extra week than buy from RS or Walmart.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i was talking about all of the people lined up and camped on LAUNCH DAY to buy iphone 1.0, silly. that is the context of our discussion here.
    So you know that for sure how?? Take it from me, I worked the launch from day one in a flagship store & most the people in line were just iPod owners (no Macs or other Apple products) who really liked their device & wanted to ditch it for a phone/iPod all in one (yes, we asked).

    Im not trying to start a fight, but is anyone allowed to just like a device anymore without being labeled a ravenous D-bag fanboy?
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    So you know that for sure how?? Take it from me, I worked the launch from day one in a flagship store & most the people in line were just iPod owners (no Macs or other Apple products) who really liked their device & wanted to ditch it for a phone/iPod all in one (yes, we asked).

    Im not trying to start a fight, but is anyone allowed to just like a device anymore without being labeled a ravenous D-bag fanboy?
    Mac-tard fanboys? ravenous D-bag fanboy?

    those are your words, not mine. i said nothing of the sort.

    apple customers love their products and they are fanatically brand loyal. i see nothing wrong with that and i think it's a good thing - especially for apple.
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/31/2009 at 07:56 AM.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i would rather wait an extra week than buy from RS or Walmart.
    Why? What difference does it make getting it from WM or RS?
    You are getting the same phone/plan as you would if you were buying directly from Sprint.

    If I wasn't a corporate customer, I would prefer buying from my neighborhood Radio Shack if they had availability. They are always helpful and take the time to explain anything I ask whenever I go there, even if it's to buy a pack of AA batteries.

    Just curious as to what your logic is - no flame intended.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    ...this launch has so far been managed flawlessly - down to every detail - i can't see them fouling up the supply execution. they WANT, NEED, and EXPECT TO to sell a lot of Pres on day 1.
    I actually agree with you there. What a lot of people here complain about Sprint/Palm's lack of action it's actually pretty well thought out.
    As much noise we make in this forum, we're but a tiny percentage of their target market. Let's face it: many of us were getting the Pre regardless, but if Sprint/Palm want to reach the "fat middle" as they say, they must control the flow of information very carefully.
    4. they had ~6 months to ramp up production from CES. resource shortages? we're in a recession so while tech labor and parts may be "different" than the ordinary widget industry, we have to be at the bottom of the curve in terms of stress on the supply chain.
    No amount of "let's get it done" attitude will make dealing with production issues any easier. It's been reported that these issues have seriously delayed the ramp up.

    so i THINK we will all get a Pre this weekend. i HOPE we all do!
    I think so too. I believe they're doing the smart thing by no starting their ad campaign until after the launch but before the iPhone 3rd Gen is launched.

    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    ...a lot of what your saying is sprints shortage is related to a full blown launch.. but the reality lays here.. Shortage is related to the few, let alone a full blown launch..
    But there hasn't been a full launch (if by "full launch" you mean a full marketing campaign, not just ad banners on tech sites.

    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post

    Im not trying to start a fight, but is anyone allowed to just like a device anymore without being labeled a ravenous D-bag fanboy?
    Wow, easy there on the venom.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurobit View Post
    I am a corporate customer, and I have two on order from our Sprint 3rd party vendor (shipping target to be on the 6th, at least that's what they promised [we will have to see ]).

    Just for grins, I stopped by my neighborhood Radio Shack (15 min. from downtown Houston) last night to see if they could tell me how many Pres they will have at that store on opening day, and the sales guy told me that Radio Shack is not going to have any PREs on opening day in Houston (hard to believe, this being the fourth largest city in the country).

    Just curious - anyone else seen this with Radio Shack?
    Same luck here in Beaumont, TX
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurobit View Post
    Why? What difference does it make getting it from WM or RS?
    You are getting the same phone/plan as you would if you were buying directly from Sprint.
    I think (and I'm taking a wild guess) is that his issue is with their business practices? Not sure about RS, but I know I personally avoid buying from WM.
  13. #53  
    Some random thoughts from this thread…
    1) No phone launch will be as big with the general public as the iphone launch was – it was at that time, really something brand new to the masses.
    2) There have been problems of some sort with almost ever Palm launched (there were all kinds of issues with iphone activations when it first came out) – while I don't expect them to have major issues this time, by having a limited release, you limit the amount of exposure to problems by only releasing a limited amount of devices…limited advertising guarantees the majority of purchasers will be techie people who will be able to handle some of the issues that arise.
    3) If no major problems with the first couple of days of sales and operations, many more phones get dumped into the stores and mass marketing advertising hits the streets.

    How many total phones available on Day 1…my guess….about 125,000
    ---------------Stores--Pres -Total
    Non-Corporate - 5000 - 15 - 75000
    Corporate ------ 1500 - 20 - 30000
    BB ------------- 1000 - 10 - 10000
    WM ------------- 150 - 10 -- 1500
    RS ------------- 150 --- 5 --- 750
    ---------------------------117250
  14. #54  
    I think (and I'm taking a wild guess) is that his issue is with their business practices? Not sure about RS, but I know I personally avoid buying from WM.
    What do you mean by this? Does this mean you avoid WM totally or just for cell phones?
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurobit View Post
    Why? What difference does it make getting it from WM or RS?
    You are getting the same phone/plan as you would if you were buying directly from Sprint.

    If I wasn't a corporate customer, I would prefer buying from my neighborhood Radio Shack if they had availability. They are always helpful and take the time to explain anything I ask whenever I go there, even if it's to buy a pack of AA batteries.

    Just curious as to what your logic is - no flame intended.
    i just prefer to always buy direct from the source whenever possible. sprint corporate retail reps are the experts on their systems, and i'm looking for the least amount of snafus and fubars as is possible. throwing a "middleman" into the mix can only cause me pain and consternation. and RS and WM are not the most professional and technologically savvy individuals to deal with.

    as far as Walmart's business practices, i have no problem with them. in fact i applaud them for providing lots of jobs and opportunities and low prices/value and a vast selection of products for people all over this country who otherwise would not have them. i just personally don't like to shop there.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    What do you mean by this? Does this mean you avoid WM totally or just for cell phones?
    Their labor practices and unfair business policies (plus the total lack of corporate liability) is enough to make me avoid them for any purchases, period.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    as far as Walmart's business practices, i have no problem with them. in fact i applaud them for providing lots of jobs and opportunities and low prices/value and a vast selection of products for people all over this country who otherwise would not have them. i just personally don't like to shop there.
    I don't agree that to lower their prices (which nowadays aren't that low anyway) you have to deny basic labor benefits (breaks, overtime, insurance).

    In fact (I'm speaking for myself here) I have no problem spending a little more at a place that I know at the very minimum offers competitive wages and fair benefits.

    But I'm veering off topic now.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I don't agree that to lower their prices (which nowadays aren't that low anyway) you have to deny basic labor benefits (breaks, overtime, insurance).

    In fact (I'm speaking for myself here) I have no problem spending a little more at a place that I know at the very minimum offers competitive wages and fair benefits.

    But I'm veering off topic now.
    it's a free country. if the people don't like it they don't have to work there. as long as Walmart isn't breaking the law, so be it.
  19. #59  
    I don't agree that to lower their prices (which nowadays aren't that low anyway) you have to deny basic labor benefits (breaks, overtime, insurance).
    Their labor practices and unfair business policies (plus the total lack of corporate liability) is enough to make me avoid them for any purchases, period.
    As we are getting off topic, this will be my last post on the subject of WM, but are these statements based on personal experience or what you read in the left wing media?
    I don't believe you know what you speak about as far as benefits...as 90% of associates for WM have health care coverage (PT associates are eligible for coverage)...as far as breaks and overtime...perhaps there are some bad apples(managers) out there, but there are policies in place that lead you to termination for not allowing breaks and lunches...and systems in place that don't allow you to work if you don't take your lunch (cashiers are locked out when they have not taken their lunch - they can't continue to check out customers when they are locked out)
    Can you explain what you mean by
    total lack of corporate liability
    ?
    What are their unfair business policies?
  20. #60  
    it's a free country. if the people don't like it they don't have to work there. as long as Walmart is breaking the law, so be it.
    I presume you meant that as long as Walmart is not breaking the law...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions