Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
    my local best buy is getting 3.....3!! i know this for a fact.....
    Did you go into the BB store and count 1-2-3 or what?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post


    Because most "Sprint stores" are not owned by Sprint and could care less about any Sprint directives advising against waiting lists. And even the owned ones have employees and managers on commission and they have long known if someone walks out the door the chance of them going to Verizon, ATT, Boost, another Sprint store or telesales, etc are above 90% and then they lose their commission, so they rather get you on their list now. You do realize if another guy in the store sells you a pre (who cares abot hte pre, the point is the new or renewed contract) the guy who wants you on his list loses his commission.
    The Sprint stores listed as "ReadyNow" are not owned by Sprint?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    My guess is the best buys will have more than the sprint stores.
    That is your guess? You do realize that this is completely 180 degrees contrary to every single report/rumor out there yes? I hope you're right, but I seriously doubt this to be the case.
    Last edited by deadpanwalking; 05/30/2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: I of all people should know the difference between "your" and "you're"
  4. #24  
    I posted this on the main release thread but it maybe it fits better here.
    I've been planning to get up way early on June 6 to drive 45 minutes to my closest Sprint corporate store because I thought only corporate stores would be selling the Pre that day.
    But for laughs, I decided to call the in-town third party Sprint store (the ones that are listed on the Sprint store finder as Sprint store by xxxxx, as in relation to just Sprint store for the corporates) and ask if they were getting the Pres.
    Well, I'm laughing, because the woman told me they would be selling the Pre on June 6. I asked her when they were opening, she said 8 a.m.
    Wow!
    I may be able to save some sleep, gas and time if this is true.
    I'm going to stop by on Monday and get more info.
    Anyone else know of non-corporate Sprint stores that say they are selling the Pre on June 6?
    I thought only corp stores were selling on June 6.
    I did a store search and within 50 miles of me, 6 of the 8 stores are by this one company. I wonder if because they run so many stores, they're able to get the Pre?
    Last edited by patchs; 05/30/2009 at 10:21 PM.
  5. #25  
    What current or historical evidence do you have to suggest BB will have more?
  6. 11B1P's Avatar
    Posts
    178 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,153 Global Posts
    #26  
    I have to be ready for work at 0530hrs on the 6th, so I won't be in line.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yes, here you go:




    Sorry, I couldn't resist .
    Gotta love that Fuzzy Math LOL
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevelandrocker View Post
    What current or historical evidence do you have to suggest BB will have more?
    Probably none, since that's not only most likely completely false, but completely contrary to the official word on the street about the actual number of Pres for Best Buy and the number of Best Buy stores with them.

    4 per store is the official word.

    I'm wagering the corporate sprint stores will have many many more.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

    Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
  9. rbcmd's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #29  
    [QUOTE=patchs;1625646]I
    Anyone else know of non-corporate Sprint stores that say they are selling the Pre on June 6?
    I thought only corp stores were selling on June 6.
    QUOTE]


    Exact same boat here..was going to drive a little further for a corporate store, but I decided to call the closer non corporate, but premier store. I was told they would be selling the Pre at 8 am on the 6th. When I mentioned that I thought only corporate stores had that luxury, he told me his premier status implied his volume was high and therefore his store would be treated like a corporate store. After recognizing the doubt in my voice, he simply asked me to drop by, which I did. He promplty produced a Pre and allowed me to play with it for 5 mins. I figured if they are treating him like an advocate with a Pre, he will get units to sell on the 6th...
  10. #30  
    [QUOTE=rbcmd;1625717]
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I
    Anyone else know of non-corporate Sprint stores that say they are selling the Pre on June 6?
    I thought only corp stores were selling on June 6.
    QUOTE]


    Exact same boat here..was going to drive a little further for a corporate store, but I decided to call the closer non corporate, but premier store. I was told they would be selling the Pre at 8 am on the 6th. When I mentioned that I thought only corporate stores had that luxury, he told me his premier status implied his volume was high and therefore his store would be treated like a corporate store. After recognizing the doubt in my voice, he simply asked me to drop by, which I did. He promplty produced a Pre and allowed me to play with it for 5 mins. I figured if they are treating him like an advocate with a Pre, he will get units to sell on the 6th...
    The non-corporate store I am going to plans on selling the Pre Friday night. They are only receiving 10 Pre's.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbcmd View Post
    He promplty produced a Pre and allowed me to play with it for 5 mins. I figured if they are treating him like an advocate with a Pre, he will get units to sell on the 6th...
    No fair! Wow, if non corporate stores are also getting Pres, it might be worth it to check those out too. That's pretty impressive, I wish I had the chance to check one out.

    I've been in my local store once every day for the last week getting my Touch Pro replaced and repaired, and didn't once get to see a Pre.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

    Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
  12. #32  
    Local Best Buy Mobile told me today they were only getting 2 next weekend. They said there would be "plenty in August." And would say no more.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Probably none, since that's not only most likely completely false, but completely contrary to the official word on the street about the actual number of Pres for Best Buy and the number of Best Buy stores with them.
    To be fair he did say it was a guess, albeit a guess based purely on his own conjecture and not based on anything we have heard. Maybe he works for Best Buy?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    My guess is the best buys will have more than the sprint stores.
    That wouldn't make any sense, Sprint has no incentive to stock their own stores less than BBY's.
    Because there is actually a shortage.
    We don't know that. Until Saturday the 6th rolls around, we'll see whether all this noise we're making here and elsewhere online will translate into sales of significant volume. I'm not saying they won't sell out, it just might not be a shortage, is all.

    Keep in mind that devices are being shipped on a weekly basis to UPS' main hub for fulfillment, then onto local stores throughout the following weeks.

    Because most "Sprint stores" are not owned by Sprint
    Unless you have actual information on this, I can safely tell you that is not the case. Unless when you say "Sprint stores" you're including stores that sell other carriers' services. Those, evidently, are not corporate-owned.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
    my local best buy is getting 3.....3!! i know this for a fact.....
    Sorry but you don't. No one has gotten any shipments yet nor do they know how many they're getting.

    After Monday though, that's a different story.

    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy704 View Post

    The non-corporate store I am going to plans on selling the Pre Friday night. They are only receiving 10 Pre's.
    See above.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Is there going to be a Pre with your name on it come June 6th? I believe so, Pedro the Goat's recent hands-on pre-Pre-View just put it in place for me. Let's do the math:

    - 1 week before the Release, and STILL no huge marketing campaign
    - rumors of low availability, but always different numbers
    - BestBuy, Sprint AND RadioShack taking part in release, despite "low" availability
    - release date sliding, rumors say it's due to pricing and demand, NOT availability
    -WebOS version on d94 shows 1.0.1 show that there was no major overhaul of a release candidate (ok, this is a weak argument. the version number could mean anything for a lot of reasons)
    - Jon Rubenstein saying he learned a lot from Apple, especially in terms of marketing
    - ref. above: so where IS that marketing? All we seen until now is leaks and hype, so wh - unless....
    - Leaks and hype are both viral marketing (which don't, by definition, cost much) They also require a climate of complete and utter secrecy to exist, peppered by a bit of legal clowning around to make it realistic: NDAs, Cease and Desist, even a hint of heads rolling...
    - the oft-vaunted secrecy. So what other purpose did it really have? If anything, it's even a bit costly in financial and organizational costs that a company as low on cash-flow as Palm is would need a specific purpose for such an outlay.

    The last two pieces in the puzzle now fall into place:

    - "Sprint War Room" - extra personnel, extra trained. ReadyNow means you, the customer, leave the store, setup and trained, with your NEW DEVICE IN HAND. And this will go on for two months? Can you imagine a WarRoom with only 2 devices per store?

    - "Kerrville, Texas" Meet the Home of Pedro the Goat, population 20,425 (in 2000). TWENTY Pres, and only ten on the waiting list? Listen, guys, if there's a war room deployed, then there's definitely an insanely organized web of communication and logistics behind it. Meaning that if there is really a 600,000 person long waiting list in DC, there is NO way that Sprint will be sending 10 "extra" to Kerrville.

    Yep. I believe there's a lot more Pres out there than they are letting on to. Palm has managed to spawn a raving new breed of fanboys (thanks, BGR! We'll take that as a compliment!) on a shoestring budget in a fairly small amount of time, and we wouldn't have it any other way. So, you'll get yours come Release Day. Then go forth and evangelize.

    Low or easy availability -- if I wasn't in France, I'd still camp out anyway. 10 or 10,000, I think this baby is going to move.

    DISCLAIMERS: No offense to the residents of Kerrville, especially not The Goat. If you send me one of those remaining 10 Pre's (preferably an unlocked GSM version, d-oh), I'll refraing from making backhanded analyses in the future.

    Also, if my above analysis is proved correct, I hope that the jobs of the Kerrville Sprint shop aren't in danger. Please keep us reassure, Goat, that your friends in the store remain hale and hearty.

    Update: vamike78 says a store in Northern VA (that's pretty much the DC area) has "enough" so they won't run out.

    Can someone else do some real math? If all stores the size of Kerrville's and over have 20 Pres, how many does that make nationwide?

    Update (a few numbers I've been reading):
    Kerrville (Pedro the Goat): 23+
    Northern VA store (vamike78): "enough"
    NYC store (mecca): 100
    Okay, I know a lot of people aren't looking forward to me saying this.. But i'm sorry (to all of you looking for this good news)... Fact of the matter is this.. w/ out a doubt, there IS a shortage of supplies.. If there weren't Sprint would be on a huge marketing scheme right now (lets talk more):

    Verizon and ATT will have this phone in less then a year (whats this mean?). If sprint had the resources to promote a huge opening launch, they would. Unfortunately they can't.... We'll continue this in the next point.. read on:

    So your thinking "Wow if their not promoting this, that means not a lot of people know about the pre".. WRONG!! We think on one stage at these forums... One stage only... "Only us geeks and maybe a couple others (in the loop possibly b/c of word of mouth) know about the pre launch".. I'm sorry but this is so wrong...(Please follow to next point)

    People w/ sprint are really craving a different phone. Unfortunately for US (The geeks) it has def spread beyond our control. The people who really want a cheap plan and an iPhone are going to be there for the pre.

    I think we can all agree secrecy and viral marketing is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off this page now.. I mean how can this work for us? The secrecy has contributed to the 2nd most crazy cellular product placement (just behind the iphone) ... which brings me to my next assumption...

    Okay we have Jon Rubenstein.. awesome.. he came from the pre... Is this going to hype up the pre SOOOOOOOOOOO much that we will be in 50+ ppl lines? Absolutely not.. Will he provide some great product placement? Absolutely! BUT.. our lines will be 10-20 Max (even in large cities)..

    We really all have to calm down.. My buddies store just got in 12 touch stone chargers... So do the math on that.. Its going to be a very very limited supply..

    Why do I hate posts like this? b/c right now.. people will believe anything that will give them hope.. unfortunately if you review the facts... its not that way. You gotta really look out for yourself and not take any word for crap. Just show up a couple/few hours early and get your rightly reserved pre. If your not willing to do that, then why are you on this forum?

    I really hope a lot of you read this and don't honestly think that your going to walk into a Sprint store and say "I want a pre" at 11am.. Chances are, its not going to happen... discard this post.. and honestly if you think its worthy of a "thanks" give it to the OP b/c he spent his time (which was an amazing post btw) posting his opinion..

    I just hate to intrude on such an amazing post, but I just have to throw reality into this. I have to throw an objective opinion that people should look at also.

    This is a great thread.. Thanks to everyone that has contributed (PLEASE READ ALL POSTS BEFORE COMMENTING)
  16. #36  
    ****ALSO****

    NO STORE HAS GOT THE PRE INVENTORY IN YET.... PERIOD

    Please be careful on what you read.. GOD i hate this B/S where people (usually 12-16 year olds) have to post things so they feel better.

    This is a fact right now.. No Sprint Corporate store will receive Pre inventory until June 2-4...

    ***THE ONLY THINGS SPRINT STORES HAVE RECEIVED ON THE 30TH IS THE TOUCHSTONE ACCESSORY******

    Honestly at this point I'm done giving away any more info.. b/c its almost ridiculous what people will believe right now..

    Enjoy
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    ****ALSO****

    NO STORE HAS GOT THE PRE INVENTORY IN YET.... PERIOD

    Please be careful on what you read.. GOD i hate this B/S where people (usually 12-16 year olds) have to post things so they feel better.

    This is a fact right now.. No Sprint Corporate store will receive Pre inventory until June 2-4...

    ***THE ONLY THINGS SPRINT STORES HAVE RECEIVED ON THE 30TH IS THE TOUCHSTONE ACCESSORY******

    Honestly at this point I'm done giving away any more info.. b/c its almost ridiculous what people will believe right now..

    Enjoy
    Are you glad you got that off your chest? lol
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  18. #38  
    Crap, you had to post NOW? I was just set to go... Well, this is going to be long (or it just "seems" long?)... But I digress.
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Okay, I know a lot of people aren't looking forward to me saying this.. But i'm sorry (to all of you looking for this good news)... Fact of the matter is this.. w/ out a doubt, there IS a shortage of supplies.. If there weren't Sprint would be on a huge marketing scheme right now (lets talk more):

    Verizon and ATT will have this phone in less then a year (whats this mean?). If sprint had the resources to promote a huge opening launch, they would. Unfortunately they can't.... We'll continue this in the next point.. read on:
    The shortage in question is related to a full-blown launch, something Sprint, back during CES, wanted to do. As the shortage issue became apparent, a (wise) decision was made to delay the marketing campaign while still keeping their plan of a "first half of '09" launch.
    This way, they save face by launching on time, guaranteeing an enormous buzz by fanatics and early-adopters and by the time their supply lines are established, the first wave of iPhone users (specially 1st Gen) will be coming off their contracts.
    By this time, whatever campaign they have in mind, it should be in place by now.

    Oh, and no, I don't think Sprint/Palm should be worried about iPhone 3rd Gen. Not only there is enough market for both iPhone and Pre (and BB too), but this latest refresh is anything but revolutionary (Really? NOW you can shoot video and do cut/paste?)
    People w/ sprint are really craving a different phone. Unfortunately for US (The geeks) it has def spread beyond our control. The people who really want a cheap plan and an iPhone are going to be there for the pre.
    Oh sure they are, but I doubt a significant fraction is willing to even show up on launch date, let alone early morning.

    We really all have to calm down.. My buddies store just got in 12 touch stone chargers... So do the math on that.. Its going to be a very very limited supply..
    Ask you bud how often they get shipments. Don't worry, he'll say it's throughout the week.

    I bet you anything (if he really got Touchstones now in the first place) that there will be several shipments (well, at least a couple, if they're done every other day) from Monday until Friday (possibly even Saturday 6th?).

    I really hope a lot of you read this and don't honestly think that your going to walk into a Sprint store and say "I want a pre" at 11am
    Couldn't agree more.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Crap, you had to post NOW? I was just set to go... Well, this is going to be long (or it just "seems" long?)... But I digress.
    The shortage in question is related to a full-blown launch, something Sprint, back during CES, wanted to do. As the shortage issue became apparent, a (wise) decision was made to delay the marketing campaign while still keeping their plan of a "first half of '09" launch.
    This way, they save face by launching on time, guaranteeing an enormous buzz by fanatics and early-adopters and by the time their supply lines are established, the first wave of iPhone users (specially 1st Gen) will be coming off their contracts.
    By this time, whatever campaign they have in mind, it should be in place by now.

    Oh, and no, I don't think Sprint/Palm should be worried about iPhone 3rd Gen. Not only there is enough market for both iPhone and Pre (and BB too), but this latest refresh is anything but revolutionary (Really? NOW you can shoot video and do cut/paste?)
    Oh sure they are, but I doubt a significant fraction is willing to even show up on launch date, let alone early morning.

    Ask you bud how often they get shipments. Don't worry, he'll say it's throughout the week.

    I bet you anything (if he really got Touchstones now in the first place) that there will be several shipments (well, at least a couple, if they're done every other day) from Monday until Friday (possibly even Saturday 6th?).

    Couldn't agree more.
    You bring up a lot of points, but unfortunately (and I wish a sprint employee or someone of stature would come forward and agree w/ me after their in-store training/ getting touchstones on the 30th) a lot of what your saying is sprints shortage is related to a full blown launch.. but the reality lays here.. Shortage is related to the few, let alone a full blown launch..

    My guess is 10 Pre's per Sprint store on Average.. Thats good, really, for Sprint its great, but honestly, its not what the OP is making it out to seem..

    Sprint is so unorganized in how they are distributing these phones, no single store has a policy set in stone about certain things.. i.e. can you sell more then one to a customer, can you open early, will you open early, etc. So who's to say that when the pre is launched that the amish family doesn't come in w/ 10 of their fathers that could also be their brothers, and buy all the Pre's in stock..

    There are a lot of mitigating circumstances here.. For anyone to honestly believe they are going to calmly come at 8-10 and get a pre is kidding themselves...

    Oh well though, no need for anyone to get worked up.. the true PRE fanatics (that can go early) will go be there early... We'll get our Pre's.. then this forum will be cluttered w/ people asking "Where can I get a Pre", "When are they shipping new Pres".. etc..
  20. #40  
    i think Sprint/Palm saw the iphone launch demand and have overestimated the Pre launch day demand - which is a good thing for us. i'm not saying that Sprint/Palm said - "iphone sold X day 1 so we will sell X day 1." i think they are saying - "iphone sold X day 1 so we will sell Y day 1." in other words, i think they looked at the success of the iphone on launch day and are assuming/anticipating huge demand - rightly or wrongly. iphone set the launch standard in terms of what to expect and expectations - palm/sprint doesn't want to be blindsided and they are using the iphone playbook in many ways - including the launch. they'll have not quite an iphone supply but with much less demand. some other points to consider -

    1. this is make or break launch for both companies - they can't afford to foul it up. this launch has so far been managed flawlessly - down to every detail - i can't see them fouling up the supply execution. they WANT, NEED, and EXPECT TO to sell a lot of Pres on day 1. the logistics/manufacturing were planned MONTHS in advance. i just can see them dropping the ball after all of this. how silly will they look?
    2. they will have war rooms - nothing to war/strategize about if you anticipate running out of ammo early. and that level of demand preparedness suggest they have supply squared away.
    3. marketing - scarcity close - people want what they think they can't have.
    4. they had ~6 months to ramp up production from CES. resource shortages? we're in a recession so while tech labor and parts may be "different" than the ordinary widget industry, we have to be at the bottom of the curve in terms of stress on the supply chain.

    so i THINK we will all get a Pre this weekend. i HOPE we all do!
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/31/2009 at 05:50 AM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions