Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I got to play with the Pre in the store today. Here are my brief impressions: jeremyfranklin.org/2009/05/30/palm-pre-hands-on-in-sprint-store/
    Quote Originally Posted by jerfrank View Post
    Hey guys,

I got to play with the Pre in the store today. Here are my brief impressions: jeremyfranklin.org/2009/05/30/palm-pre-hands-on-in-sprint-store/
    yeah brief is right. i expected a little more given a whole new thread and redirect link. sheesh.
    No need to be rude, he's just trying to be nice by telling us all.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    jerfrank a few more thoughts on the phone please =]
  5.    #5  
    At a baseball game but, it felt solid yet plastically. The interface is smooth. When browsing, zooming in is weird. It is like the screen goes blank and then redraws the area you selected. Not as smooth as the iPhone, bu it renders the pages better. None of those blocks when you scroll fast like on the iPhone. Seemed to load engadget really quick. App store was not live on their demo device. Keyboad was as boygenius stated but I could see getting used to it. I am on an iPhone currently. No word on stock. Screen and the ui was great. I would say better than the iPhone. It is small and feels nice in the hand. Coming from an iPhone 3g I could probably buy one and be happy. I want to see the apps though. Live cards was great. Loaded websites an it was smooth. Sorry for any mistypes but I am on the iPhone.
    A bunch of people now have complained about the zooming. A little worried about that.
    Knowing that my local AT&T store is open until 9PM, I called the local Sprint store to see if they have a Pre for demo purposes. They close at 7PM on Saturdays. Seems kinda early in comparison to the Death Star. They're on the outskirts of a mall and the rest of the mall is open until 9PM. Whatup with the early hours?
    hopefully that update will bring on an onscreen keyboard
    Why are so many people complaining about the plastic feeling? It is made out of plastic and so were all the Treo's (The Centro though...you can't get more plastically than that).
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Why are so many people complaining about the plastic feeling? It is made out of plastic and so were all the Treo's (The Centro though...you can't get more plastically than that).
    Because the iPhone 3G's plastic back feels super-nice (albeit scratchy as crazy) and because the iPhone has a very nice glass screen. As the Palm Pre is going head-to-head with the iPhone some people thought the Pre would be made of quality materials, instead of normal materials. Not that big a deal but I freely admit I prefer high quality materials.

However Palm is broke and rushed and I imagine any shortage of quality materials is due to that. Whatever the high-end Palm WebOS mobile in 2010 is (Pre 2, Pre Pro, whatever) will probably be better made.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    A bunch of people now have complained about the zooming. A little worried about that.
    I got about 5-10 minutes on one today and I had no issues zooming either on google search or google maps. I tried the tap zoom and 2 finger expand and zoom out. It was perfect as far as I could tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricMonk View Post
    Because the iPhone 3G's plastic back feels super-nice (albeit scratchy as crazy) and because the iPhone has a very nice glass screen. As the Palm Pre is going head-to-head with the iPhone some people thought the Pre would be made of quality materials, instead of normal materials. Not that big a deal but I freely admit I prefer high quality materials.

However Palm is broke and rushed and I imagine any shortage of quality materials is due to that. Whatever the high-end Palm WebOS mobile in 2010 is (Pre 2, Pre Pro, whatever) will probably be better made.
    Who says that plastic necessarily means that it isn't quality material, exactly?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I played with one for all of 5 mins in my local store as well...only slight lag was when i switched to back and forth to landscape mode...but it always did work. The whole "cheap feel " thing, in my opinion, is not so much about the plastic, but the fact that it's plastic AND extremely light when held. That combination makes one feel like it's fragile, yet being lightweight is obviously a desirable trait.
    I don't get the whole light weight issue. The pre is actually just a little heavier than the iphone so by that theory, the iphone should feel cheaper.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    I don't get the whole light weight issue. The pre is actually just a little heavier than the iphone so by that theory, the iphone should feel cheaper.
    That's a fair comment...I am not an Iphone user, so can't say, but can only comment on what I felt when I handled the pre ; the combination of the plastic back, shape and weight...but to be clear, it didn't have a "bad" feel by any means. One can tell the amount of time and thought that went into the ergonomics of this thing.
    Last edited by rbcmd; 05/30/2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricMonk View Post

I don't consider a glass screen to necessarily be a premium material. I've shattered an iPhone screen which rendered the device worthless.

I also have never liked the size of the iPhone. It's just too damn big on my belt or in my pocket. I'm looking forward to the smaller size of the Pre.
    fock that phone looks tiny.

I am not a fan of the centro sized, more of a 755P size...

I hope its not a small "girly" phone
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbpooch View Post
    I don't consider a glass screen to necessarily be a premium material. I've shattered an iPhone screen which rendered the device worthless.

I also have never liked the size of the iPhone. It's just too damn big on my belt or in my pocket. I'm looking forward to the smaller size of the Pre.
    I agree. I don't have an iphone, but I have used my friends and it is in my opinion, to be for a phone; it's like a brick. Phones are supposed to fit easily in the hand, I don't they should be the size of say an archos media player or something of that ilk.
  19. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    fock that phone looks tiny.

I am not a fan of the centro sized, more of a 755P size...

I hope its not a small "girly" phone
    I agree. I like my phones to be the size of a car battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbpooch View Post
    You can still crack a plastic screen and the device will still be rendered worthless.

Having said that, and while I'm still getting the Pre on Saturday, I do hope they offer a higher end model with a glass screen and OLED tech in the near future, for viewing angle and power consumption enhancements.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast