Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I just called my local Sprint store today and asked if they know how many Pres they'll be getting. They said they didn't know (shocker!) I asked if I could reserve one, and they said no but they could put me on a waiting list. What is the difference between reserving a copy and putting one the waiting list? Please help me out so I know if i should answer to his offer.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Waiting list means they will call you after the thousands of people already on their list. When they call you, then you can order. But think about it, If the sales rep has 100 people ahead of you, he/she has to call each person and problably spend 10-15 minutes on the phone with the customer before going to the next person on the list. If you want the phone, call them or go to the store.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I just cycled out to my local Sprint store and got some interesting insight:

* They will have 10 Pres (despite or because this being a pretty small city)
    * I put down a $100 deposit and have a phone guaranteed for Saturday (!!!)
    * They do indeed have on rep per store who has played with a Pre but funnily enough she is not working on Saturday - lol
    * The employees go crazy about the Pre and say that "this is the first phone on Sprint ever where people came in to ask about it before it was out"

We had a bit of a conversation about phones in general and I was shocked to find out that the dude I was talking to had no idea what Skype is. He said something like "Isn't that this program where you can text and make calls but do it on your computer?" What do these reps learn in their trainings?
    Sprint needs to be honest and tell callers, "There's not too many available at launch, so come as early as possible." They're playing supply and demand games!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Enough people are saying that their Sprint stores will be having employee meetings about the Pre on Sunday that I'll wait until Monday to ask them for the scoop.
    Today my wife and I went to the local mall and I noticed they had a Sprint Corp store. It must be fairly new because I don't remember it being there before. I went in and asked about the Pre and the manager came out. I told them that I was planning to get one and wanted details. I informed him that it would be a new activation and that I had already got pre-approved credit at another Sprint store the day before. He went and got the waiting list and came out with it and guess what??? I am #1 on the list. He also informed me (like others have reported) that it will go on sale Saturday at 8am and not Friday. I noticed that the list had "Official Pre Waiting List Store #xxxx" printed at the top and I asked if that was something the store was doing or a Corporate thing and he informed me that it was sent to him from Corporate.
    I just called my Pasadena CA Sprint store: next Saturday, they are giving out tickets to people standing in line. He thinks they will have 100 units, so they will give out that many tix. Others waiting in line will be put on their wait list and contacted to pick up a unit once they receive more stock, which they claimed could be every day.
    I'm hearing my local kiosk is getting about 60 units and I've reserved 2 of them(100 dollar deposit on each unit), so hopefully I can't wake up at 8 and take my time getting over there.
    i think the deposit stories are from non-corporate stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    I just called my Pasadena CA Sprint store: next Saturday, they are giving out tickets to people standing in line. He thinks they will have 100 units, so they will give out that many tix. Others waiting in line will be put on their wait list and contacted to pick up a unit once they receive more stock, which they claimed could be every day.
    I was at the Pasadena store today also and received the same story, the one rep I talked to said he has had about a dozen inquiries in the past couple of days. Its probably a crap shoot on how this is all going to turn out, if you really want one get to a store early
    Ladies and gentlemen, this just in! Yes, yes, this is breaking eyewitness news!

The Pasadena, CA Sprint Store has been taken over by giant alien robots! They have informed the city that they will be keeping that store closed til Monday, June 8! The robots, who are calling themselves "Prenautocons (copyright DCA), also revealed that they have the swine flu, the bird flu, crabs and practice SAT/MCAT/LSAT exams waiting for any person who shows up to the store prior to that date.

We repeat: Stay away from the Pasadena Sprint Store until Monday, June 9, 2009!

That is all. We now return this thread to our regular nerdy pursuits
    Quote Originally Posted by chezbi View Post
    I just called my local Sprint store today and asked if they know how many Pres they'll be getting. They said they didn't know (shocker!) I asked if I could reserve one, and they said no but they could put me on a waiting list. What is the difference between reserving a copy and putting one the waiting list? Please help me out so I know if i should answer to his offer.
    I was told the same thing. No reservation but I could be put on a list. So, I asked him what the difference was. He said, when they open at 8am they will call out your name from the list and bring you into the store. If you aren't there when they call out your name then you missed your chance. So, I plan on being there at 7:45. No earlier. If I don't get it then I'll get one from Best Buy when ever they have a steady stock of them. I have a $150 in gift cards.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    If I am first in line...they will be selling me one
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Okay, so I was fine with the stores being clueless, but now it's getting a little ridiculous; today is Monday and 2 of the 3 stores I talked to weren't sure what time they'd be opening on Saturday yet. You'd think they'd have a firm plan by now. I guess I'll be calling back Thursday or Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I was told the same thing. No reservation but I could be put on a list. So, I asked him what the difference was. He said, when they open at 8am they will call out your name from the list and bring you into the store. If you aren't there when they call out your name then you missed your chance. So, I plan on being there at 7:45. No earlier. If I don't get it then I'll get one from Best Buy when ever they have a steady stock of them. I have a $150 in gift cards.
    I've heard a variation of this. The store manager of my local corporate store told me that they will be distributing ALL of their phones on Saturday to people who get on a waiting list on Friday.

Basically, there will be two priority lists. Premiere customers (by his account) will receive a certificate by email allowing them to go to the store on Friday to reserve their phone from stock. They can they buy it on Saturday OR Sunday at their leisure (ie, those phones will be put aside and not sold on Saturday).

Starting on Friday at 9am, a second waiting list will be opened up and normal customers can put their name down. Based on the remaining stock, those individuals will be called and will be able to pick up their Pre within 48 hours. If they don't pick it up, its released and sold to the next name on the list or to the general public if there's no one left on the list.

He basically told me that at his corporate store, those who are not on the list (either premiere or on the secondary list) have little or no shot at buying a Pre on Saturday by camping out. I think they're trying to avoid people standing in line outside on the day of the release by selling the phone this way; plus I doubt their stock will be very high (probably around 30 phones).

There was no way to pre-order or put a deposit down on a phone at this store.
    i guess each store is different, i went into our corporate store here on yesterday and inquired about it.... the associate i talked to said be here early, she then said, if you do not want it on the first day or if you are still on the fence we do have a list of people that we will call when there are more units available.... so i asked was it for the second shipment, she said no... so i asked how many people on the list, about 15 to 20.... then she went on to say, we have not been getting that many inquiries about it, so if you are not here early saturday, you may just as well get a phone call late saturday evening, when the crowd dies down, if we even have one......
    I just called a Sprint store near me (NOT corporate) and he told me he would definitely run out. He said that he had 377 people on the waiting list, and then he asked me to guess how many they are sending him. I guess 50 and he laughs and loudly tells me 25! He said that he could take my order and it would be fulfilled in 3-5 days. I thanked him and asked him if they had one in store. He said no, but he was trained on it and said it was beautiful and worked really well (responsive, etc.).
    Am I the only one who thinks holding a phone isn't right? I'm going to be pissed if I wait 8 hours in the rain and cold (supposed to be stormy and 48 Friday night - yea!) and they come out and let all the people in behind me because they are on some kind of list. I called all the stores in our area and none of them are taking holds so I should be okay. I don't think Sprint wants any of the stores to take lists. I will be secretly laughing when all of those people who are on waiting list show up at noon on Saturday only to be told they're sold out. IMHO, if you want one, you should have to wait in line like the rest of us marginally insane people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Me View Post
    I just called a Sprint store near me (NOT corporate) and he told me he would definitely run out. He said that he had 377 people on the waiting list, and then he asked me to guess how many they are sending him. I guess 50 and he laughs and loudly tells me 25! He said that he could take my order and it would be fulfilled in 3-5 days. I thanked him and asked him if they had one in store. He said no, but he was trained on it and said it was beautiful and worked really well (responsive, etc.).
    Ok, just an update to my previous post. Store #1 response is above.

Store #2 Response (Corporate)

We are not sure how many we are getting in yet, and we do have a list, but to be honest with you our store is not going to even use the list or give people with a letter preferential treatment. It would be too difficult. If we get 50 phones we will let the first 50 have them, so if there is more than 50 in line the 1st 50 will get them. I suggest you just be here before 8 and wait in line Saturday. By the way, she said they would let a person purchase two for a family plan as long as they were activated in store.

Store #3 Response (NOT Corporate)

Come in and pre-pay (no pun intended) or put a deposit down and I'll hold it for you. Just stop in Saturday and pick it up at your leisure. I told him I would be p***ed if I paid for or put a deposit on one and it turned out he didn't have one available. He assured me he would.

The bottom line is I still have no idea what to believe. I definitely think there will be quite a difference in how corporate and non-corporate stores can/will handle it though.
    Last edited by Pre-Me; 06/01/2009 at 05:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, this just in! Yes, yes, this is breaking eyewitness news!

The Pasadena, CA Sprint Store has been taken over by giant alien robots! They have informed the city that they will be keeping that store closed til Monday, June 8! The robots, who are calling themselves "Prenautocons (copyright DCA), also revealed that they have the swine flu, the bird flu, crabs and practice SAT/MCAT/LSAT exams waiting for any person who shows up to the store prior to that date.

We repeat: Stay away from the Pasadena Sprint Store until Monday, June 9, 2009!

That is all. We now return this thread to our regular nerdy pursuits
    roflmfao
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast