Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Other than us techno enthusiasts, I have not heard anyone on the streets here in NYC talking about the Pre. Most of my friends and people on my block never heard of it. I am assuming because of this, I should have no problem getting one on Saturday. The Sprint store where I am at told me that they will have 100 of them. Any of you New Yorkers or anyone else hearing anybody besides us talking about the Pre?
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Many I know could care less and are happy with their feature phones. Most in my immediate circle of friends / acquaintances don't know much, if anything, about the phone.

I can name 4 people I know who could care, and it's because I've talked to them about it.
    Same here, between friends, family and co-workers, only the really techno-geeks know about the phone and of those, probably half know thanks to my babbling about it.

I have confidence we'll be fine comes next Saturday. Unless there's a last minute hype story that, somehow, gets mainstream media (and not tech blogs/sites) talking about it.

But even then, a new phone purchase is not as impulsive as, say, a console, toy, etc (who always have months-long campaigns), specially with contracts and a less-than-popular phone company.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Many I know could care less and are happy with their feature phones. Most in my immediate circle of friends / acquaintances don't know much, if anything, about the phone.

I can name 4 people I know who could care, and it's because I've talked to them about it.
    My very point......If nobody but us and the people we told know about the Pre, there should be no problem on Saturday. If Sprint were to advertise heavily......then we may have a problem getting it. How many of us throughout the various forums are there? Not more than 150,000. IMO, on launch day....we should be fine.
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Same here, between friends, family and co-workers, only the really techno-geeks know about the phone and of those, probably half know thanks to my babbling about it.

I have confidence we'll be fine comes next Saturday. Unless there's a last minute hype story that, somehow, gets mainstream media (and not tech blogs/sites) talking about it.

But even then, a new phone purchase is not as impulsive as, say, a console, toy, etc (who always have months-long campaigns), specially with contracts and a less-than-popular phone company.
    Just wait until the C|Net et al reviews come out on the 4th. I predict pandemonium.
    Funny you should bring this up because i too have not heard anything from anyone about the Pre which I thought was a good thing since i will be also trying to get mine on Saturday.

Only difference is, is when I go into a radioshack in a popular spot, or a Sprint store around the same area I get the usual either don't wanna say anything about the Phone, or we open at 10am.

The radioshack said they had like 30 people asking about it, hope thats not the case since they told me they were also doing the instant rebate ...

I am in search of a not so popular radioshack and sprint store in my area so i can be positive of getting one ...
    I hope there is not much buzz until the 7th so we will all get ours. After that, I could care less what happens (I would prefer if they sell TONS so Palm can make a lot of money because they NEED it).
    Last edited by Eguy; 05/30/2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    i know many people and have a lot of friends and not one of them knows what the hell a Pre is.
    Same here OP. I have spoken to many of my friends here in NYC and no one knows of the phone except what I have told them. They are content with their phone/service to get a new one.

Then again out of all of us, I am the tech geek of the group.
    Overheard Pre talk at breakfast this morning. Dude at table next to us was talking about upgrading his Instinct to Pre. I didn't jump in, but almost did.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    A guy I crew for in sailboat races lives a couple of blocks from me (coincidental, we met at the club, and found we live 3 blocks from each other). Friday, I took my grand-daughter to school, and saw his wife. We talked as we walked towards the school, and she got a call. She didn't take, but looked down to see who it was. I noticed she had a Treo.

I mentioned to her "You know that Palm is coming out with a new phone in a little over a week". She jumped in and said "Yes, the Pre!!! We're thinking of camping out to get one each.

These are not techno-geeks. As a matter of fact, from what I know of them, I was surprised that they had Treos instead of iPhones.
    I have a strange feeling in the more popular cities/towns you are gonna find black friday like lines

I also think that aside from those lines the other stores may have more than they know what to do with since all the others will be waiting at 1 specific store
    One person I talked to about it is someone I got into BlackBerrys. Their reaction: "Is that a new BlackBerry model?"

Another: "Palm? I thought that company went bankrupt."

Or: "WebOS? is that, like, a new Windows system?"

I can only conclude that away from us phone "enthusiasts" (read: geeks) not many people know about it. I've seen zero tv ads for the Pre and heard zero radio commercials. To get the Palm email you had to sign up for it, which means you already knew about it. Palm has no presence whatsoever away from the Palm faithful.
  14. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    One person I talked to about it is someone I got into BlackBerrys. Their reaction: "Is that a new BlackBerry model?"

Another: "Palm? I thought that company went bankrupt."

Or: "WebOS? is that, like, a new Windows system?"

I can only conclude that away from us phone "enthusiasts" (read: geeks) not many people know about it. I've seen zero tv ads for the Pre and heard zero radio commercials. To get the Palm email you had to sign up for it, which means you already knew about it. Palm has no presence whatsoever away from the Palm faithful.
    Or those who are receiving general updates from Sprint, pay attention to Sprint Commercials, or watch NASCAR (tho not to sound like I'm stereotyping, I'd like to think, most NASCAR viewers are direct connect users, if you get my drift)
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I finally met 4 different people last week that heard about it before I told them about it.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Outside of my Sprint circle of acquaintances no one has heard of the Pre. It's good since I'll be guaranteed one on Saturday.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
  17. joelpalm
    NO ONE I know has heard of the Pre except for the people I have told and know I am waiting for it. I do not plan on camping or anything of the sort, although my roommate DOES work at Best Buy and will be there on the 6th at 9 AM for work, and should be able to hold one for me. HEHE!
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I think anyone who has a Palm especially those who have owned at least two or three different series knows and have been looking forward to this for a long time. If you have an Instinct and you thought you were getting an iphone killer, you know. If you have a WinMo device like the Mogul which sucks, if you have an iphone or any other smartphone, you know. If you ever wanted a phone like the iphone but not the iphone you know about the Pre. Im in NYC too and so far I have heard some buzz about it.
    I think we all wish palm well and may they live long and prosper and all.. but who are we kidding... no one else but us geeks have heard of it yet... now chat amongst yourselves.....
    If it wasn't for the most stable, longest lasting battery, great shortcuts, half touch screen half keyboard, entry level so its called Palm Centro that I got for free (since I had four touches and they all sucked ***) I would never have known about Palm or the Pre .... If the Pre longevitity wise is alot like the centro but newer tech etc etc.. I will be one happy camper ...