View Poll Results: Is the PRE probably going to move you to the "CLOUD" for almost everything?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Probably YES

13 56.52%
  • Probably NO

10 43.48%
  1.    #1  
    Is the PRE probably going to move you to the "CLOUD" for almost everything? OR are you going to fight it tooth and nail every step of the way?
    Now that wireless data access is just about everywhere in the US (between evdo/1xrtt/wifi and soon 4g), the technology is there to pull it off. There still will need to be some intelligent local caching at times just in case data access is not available.

I'd guess in most cases, data will be synced to the cloud than entirely dependent on the cloud for access. Depends on the app. If it's an internet-based app, it doesn't need locality. If it's an app that is not conducive to being internet dependent, local caching or syncing will be needed.

Sounds like webOS can really distinguish itself from iPhone by being tightly integrated with the cloud. It's why they called it 'webos'. The more open platform is what makes the difference for me... no authoritarian fascist apple practices on what apps are acceptable to them.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I've already (mostly) been there. All the release of the Pre meant for me is a little bit of cleaning up my Google Contacts, a very slight bit of cleaning up Facebook, and adding a couple more public calendars to my Google Calendar.
    Already there bro...
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Already there bro...
    +1

I've been on the "cloud" for a while....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    "The Cloud" is great, but I still like to have a local backup of everything.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Google will rule the world...no sense in trying to escape from it. Cleaning up my facebook and gmail is my weekend project.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Most of my stuff is already there and I have to rely on kludgy workaround to make use of it on my phone, computer, and the web in general. Now I can move from my computer being the kludge hub to the internet *hopefully* being a more seamless hub.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I'm not sold on the security or the convenience of local backups, but I'm moving in that direction.

I'm probably naive, but I refuse to worry about identity theft too much. I'm focused on the convenience of having whatever I need at my fingertips and if I lose/damage my device I can just reload the information.

The Pre moves me further in that direction, but I was going that way anyway
    A lot of my stuff is in the cloud already. 99% of our contacts, a good chunk of our pictures (in native res, not resized) and a lot of our own videos too -say, does the Pre play HD videos from Vimeo, for instance?

I should add that I do rely on local backups; nowadays you don't have an excuse not to have at least a single external HDD.
    Some stuff is fine on "The Cloud" but not everything.
    What is ok there:
    My Calendar and most contacts
    Notes that I trust to Evernote already
    Some Documents

Not OK:
    Sensitive Contacts and notes
    Most Documents
    Media

So...basically what I have now.....
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    A lot of my stuff is in the cloud already. 99% of our contacts, a good chunk of our pictures (in native res, not resized) and a lot of our own videos too -say, does the Pre play HD videos from Vimeo, for instance?

I should add that I do rely on local backups; nowadays you don't have an excuse not to have at least a single external HDD.
    i use a 2GB Sandisk flash drive.