Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. reyrey127's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
       #1  
    Since the PRE is plastic, my biggest concern is the color of the material fading away with time. I have had the old school flip phones with plastic backs where the battery compartment is plastic of course, and the color faded within the 1st year. I use my phone to text and answer calls so my fingers are always on the back. I just recently went to dig up that phone and looked and there are these discolored white areas where i typically have my fingers. Will the PRE have the same issues??

    With the manufacturing cost leaked about the PRE compared to the iphone, I have this concern of the "plastic" material to fade away if I keep my hands on the PRE too long.

    Can it be confirmed that they used a FADE resistant coat. I hope so. But if the phone gets scratched will the FADE resistant coat last??

    What are your thoughts????

    Am I crazy???

    Thanks...
    Last edited by reyrey127; 05/30/2009 at 01:23 PM.
  2. neilept's Avatar
    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    #2  
    aren't all phones plastic?
  3. #3  
    melts in your mouth and not in your hands. just don't drop it. or the soap.
  4. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #4  
    great thread? no.

    greatest thread.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    aren't all phones plastic?
    No, the first iPhone had a metal back with a glass screen, the iPhone 3G has some kind of ceramic back cover and a glass front.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    or the soap.
    That made me chuckle
  7. #7  
    What do you mean by "if"? It IS plastic. Just like every other phone. Even the iPhone got the plastic treatment in it's second generation, the entire back cover is shiny plastic, kind of like the Pre.

    Nothing lasts forever. It's like buying a new car and finally getting the first scratch or dent. You took care of it best you could until the first scratch happens, then you start to care less. Either way, just buy one of those stick on protectors for your Pre and it won't scratch or fade.

    And think about it...how long do you usually keep a phone? While it's the newest, latest and greatest now, it soon too will look old and tired compared to the new phones replacing it.

    So those are my thoughts,

    and yeah...you may be a little crazy!

    Your welcome!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    No, the first iPhone had a metal back with a glass screen, the iPhone 3G has some kind of ceramic back cover and a glass front.
    Ceramic? I am pretty sure it's plastic. The reason for them going to plastic was the claim that the metal cover blocks the radios signal a bit, and the plastic cover would improve reception.
  9. #9  
    BTW, no one can confirm if the material is fade resistant
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Ceramic? I am pretty sure it's plastic. The reason for them going to plastic was the claim that the metal cover blocks the radios signal a bit, and the plastic cover would improve reception.
    I know it looks like plastic but it really feels like something else.
    United States Patent Application: 0060268528
    you could be right though. I wish I worked for phone company. It's seems like fun designing these things.
  11. reyrey127's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    What do you mean by "if"? It IS plastic. Just like every other phone. Even the iPhone got the plastic treatment in it's second generation, the entire back cover is shiny plastic, kind of like the Pre.

    Nothing lasts forever. It's like buying a new car and finally getting the first scratch or dent. You took care of it best you could until the first scratch happens, then you start to care less. Either way, just buy one of those stick on protectors for your Pre and it won't scratch or fade.

    And think about it...how long do you usually keep a phone? While it's the newest, latest and greatest now, it soon too will look old and tired compared to the new phones replacing it.

    So those are my thoughts,

    and yeah...you may be a little crazy!

    Your welcome!
    I just want to make sure it doesn't fade within the 1st year or after the 1st year like a few days, then without TEP all my warrenty is gone and I will be left with a phone with white spots!! haha... i hope not...

    If I do get white spots, maybe I will call it PreDot!!
  12. #12  
    I place this particular concern in the same category as the other "they should have done this" threads. For example, "I wish they'd just release the phone and let us early adopters deal with the bugs!" would quickly become "how could they release such a buggy phone?!?"

    In this case, it's "how could they make the phone out of plastic when we'd be willing to pay more for higher grade materials?" would quickly become "how could they charge $X for the Pre when the iPhone is only $Y?!?" I think the plastic will be fine, or it won't be, but we won't know that until quite some time from now. Heck, my MacBook Pro has ugly palm prints underneath the keyboard that I can't get rid of, and it's made of aluminum.

    There are design and production compromises made all the time with new products. This is one of them. And accepting such compromises is one of the key characteristics of being an early adopter. If you're worried about something like the plastic casing, then wait until the product has proven itself either way.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  13. #13  
    My blackberry is plastic and had held up very well. Aren't pretty much all phones plastic?
  14. reyrey127's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    BTW, no one can confirm if the material is fade resistant
    who can confirm?? thanks.

    what do you think of my concern!!??
  15. frank828's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    I just want to make sure it doesn't fade within the 1st year or after the 1st year like a few days, then without TEP all my warrenty is gone and I will be left with a phone with white spots!! haha... i hope not...

    If I do get white spots, maybe I will call it PreDot!!

    i'm sure the plastic will be black.

    the plastic that's used on the back cover of my 800w is black.
  16. frank828's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #16  
    and also, out of every phone ive ever had, none of them have ever faded.

    i've had the 600, 650, 700p, 800w
  17. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #17  
    by the time it fades your contract will be up and you'll be salivating over the next hot must have cell phone.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    who can confirm?? thanks.

    what do you think of my concern!!??
    Palm can confirm but that aren't going to say anything.

    I wouldn't worry about the fading, just get it and have fun with it. Seriously, a year or two from now your not really going to care that much if it starts to fade. Maybe that's just me. I tend to switch phones every year. Just enjoy it, don't stress about it.
  19. #19  
    Nokia E-Series phones are metal.

    The Unlocked E71 I had on ATT is/was the best built phone I ever had. 1st gen iPhone is No. 2
  20. #20  
    They should just make phones out of carbon fiber. It won't fade, won't break easily, is light,......uhm...just a tad bit on the expensive side.

    But if you think about it...wouldn't it be the perfect material? The only weaknesses then would be ....well, the rest of the hardware!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions